Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

klanking in my rear end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 2006, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

klanking in my rear end!

i've had a klanking metal against metal noise for the past few days coming from under the rear end. went on ramp today, brakes, springs, anti roll bushes, wheels all seem fine. happens usually on bumpy surfaces. any suggestions of what to look for or what it might be? i'm no expert but i had a gander and got two monkeys to have a gander also (as the organ grinder was not present), they scratched their heads also.
and before you ask, yes the boot is empty and it's not the jack.

car is uk my99 classic

any thought appreciated.
rgds,
Andrew.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2006, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Dont shocks knock when they are going? I would have said bushes as well, but you said they are fine... Did you check the pads to see there wherent in need of replacement?? I know you said brakes... wasnt sure about the pads..

I'm fresh out of idea's to be honest mate...

Is it a constant noise or a intermittaint one??
Old 19 Dec 2006, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

it's constant on bumps, i hope it aint the shocks, you got me worrying now. i'm hoping to get a closer inspection this week, but wouldn't mind knowing before hand what the possibilities were.
pads were a thought(and secretly i'm hoping its these 'cause i'll then have the excuse to upgrade, but i only had a brief look and will want a keener eye than mine to have a gander, but as i said the organ grinder was not present, just 3 monkeys (one being me).
Old 19 Dec 2006, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to tiny
did you check the tightness of the bolts on the drop links? Could be that, is you`re car standard? and is the clanking quite loud, if so could be diff, if fluid level is relatively low it may only been on rough terrain you get it
Old 19 Dec 2006, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
What about a loose exhuast????
Old 19 Dec 2006, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

could be but surely even a monkey could spot that, unless its just bouncing against the underneath of the body
Old 19 Dec 2006, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

not the exhaust, unless some kid has shoved something down it.

drop links have just been put on and the sound appeared soon after that, however, they did seem solid today.

i have shortened springs which have been on the car over a year, just hope they have not stressed the shocks??

klanking is noticable to even an untrained ear, so fairly audible, if not loud.

Last edited by brumbrum; 19 Dec 2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 10:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

As I said mate, my only guess really would be shocks, bushes or exhaust..
Old 19 Dec 2006, 10:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
mal
Senior Scooby

When my rear shocks went there was a sort of hollow clanking sound, but i wouldn't say it was like a metal to metal sound. You should also be able to tell by the handling of the car.....

One way to test your shocks is to try pushing on each corner......push down on each corner of the car and if the car returns to it's position with only a single bounce 'as such' then the shocks should be ok, but if it bounces several times then they might be worth looking at......or if the car is easy to push down in a particular corner then the shock could be suspect. I know it's pretty basic but it worked for me. Also if you can see the shock, if it's as bad as you say then there should be oil covering the shock body.

Hope this helps m8
Old 20 Dec 2006, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Just a thought, i had metal to metal sound / knocking especially over bumps in my classic scoob. The caliper / pad pin had severed and dropped out so the pad was rattling round. My experience.

Gareth
Old 20 Dec 2006, 10:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

my 2p worth lol

i had a problem with the mudflaps on my car catching round tight bends, turned out the shocks had gone soft and needed replacing, wonder if it that and its got to the stage of them bottoming out over bumps, hence the nocking
Old 20 Dec 2006, 05:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny View Post
did you check the tightness of the bolts on the drop links? Could be that, is you`re car standard? and is the clanking quite loud, if so could be diff, if fluid level is relatively low it may only been on rough terrain you get it
panic over n' problem solved. the prize goes to Tiny! was just a loose bolt on the drop links which were put on the car a few weeks ago. thank santa it was not the shocks. two twists of the spanner n' done.

cheers for all the suggestions, was really helpful to be pointed in the right direction, what would i do without this site
Old 20 Dec 2006, 05:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Congrats Tiny

Glad everything has worked out mate
Old 22 Dec 2006, 04:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

thought it might be I had something similar tried all the bolts with my fingers and all were tight as soon as i got a spanner on them I knew straight away

by the way, whats my prize?
Old 22 Dec 2006, 04:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

a pair of angels wings m8, you've just earnt your place in heaven!