Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

money,money,money and a long day ahead!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Nov 2006, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

money,money,money and a long day ahead!!!

just thought i'd report in on my mapping session with bob rawle 10 days ago.
after him plugging in all his wires n leads and flashing the ecu we went ten mins out on the road and my clutch began giving out n slipping when trying for high boost. so after several attempts we had to call it a day

have now booked in with API engines in warwickshire on the 25th nov for a new exedy performance clutch and lightened flywheel, (well, if you're going to have it done may as well have it done properly ) hopefully this will see the end of clutch judder for good. i caught the tail end of a group buy when i phoned them up so at least i'm saving a few quid. i knew that my clutch may have been on its way out but did not realise how much it would be affected under high load.
i'll be leaving cardiff at 6am to arrive for 8am in warickshire which gives API a good 4 hours to do the job after my engine has cooled down. afterwards its back down to swindon for a late afternoon/early evening session with bob finishing 7.30pm and then back to cardiff for around 9pm with lots of spare hours in between
all i can say at the present is that bob liked what he heard through his head phones (bizzare) and was positive. i was left a little deflatted and slightly embaressed, but better the clutch went before the mapping than just after .
so to sum up, nothing is ever straight forward but i'm determined to see this thing through. knowing my luck my gearbox will split in half next week!
rgds, Andrew.

Last edited by brumbrum; 14 Nov 2006 at 05:52 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2006, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to BIG GRINDER!
Hi hope you get sorted soon but
" i knew that my clutch may have been on its way out but did not realise how much it would be affected under high load."

It was never going to repair itself

Kev
Old 20 Nov 2006, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

let us know how you got on brum
Old 20 Nov 2006, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Had the same when I had mine mapped at Scoobyclinic.... They set it up at 1 bar and did a run 350 bhp spot on they said...Now lets give it 1.3 bar.... That was the end of the clutch....
Old 20 Nov 2006, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Had the same when I had mine mapped at Scoobyclinic.... They set it up at 1 bar and did a run 350 bhp spot on they said...Now lets give it 1.3 bar.... That was the end of the clutch....
cheers bob. glad i'm not on my own! lets just hope nothing else goes wrong this saturday . should be able to give the new exedy clutch a good hammering from now on as well
Old 20 Nov 2006, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Scoobyclinic had the clutch and flywheel changed in an hour and it went straight back on the rollers all ok that time... When they removed the clutch it was red hot but still looked ok fly was a little burn't But it could have went back in a std car...
Old 20 Nov 2006, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Scoobyclinic had the clutch and flywheel changed in an hour and it went straight back on the rollers all ok that time... When they removed the clutch it was red hot but still looked ok fly was a little burn't But it could have went back in a std car...
no such luck for me, bob rawles semi and garage was not kitted out for such luxurious treatment! came back across the seven bridge really begrudging paying the 5 quid toll with me tail tuck between me legs.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
no such luck for me, bob rawles semi and garage was not kitted out for such luxurious treatment! came back across the seven bridge really begrudging paying the 5 quid toll with me tail tuck between me legs.
SC had just built my 2.5 engine and admitted straight away without any fuss it was there fault for fitting the old clutch...So I had free fitting and clutch/fly at trade price....

Make sure you give Bob my love when you next visit.... very nice man...
Old 20 Nov 2006, 07:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
SC had just built my 2.5 engine and admitted straight away without any fuss it was there fault for fitting the old clutch...So I had free fitting and clutch/fly at trade price....

Make sure you give Bob my love when you next visit.... very nice man...
will do! yep, he seems really genuine, and patient - which is prbably a really handy thing when i'm driving the car trying to hold .5 bar of boost on the A roads of swindon on a saturday afternoon. to quote him after a first short run..."Road first!, Mapping second!"
Old 20 Nov 2006, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

I have managed some speeds you would not believe while mapping with Bob....
Old 21 Nov 2006, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

i would lol
Old 22 Nov 2006, 06:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Dont get him started Paul mate!!

Hope you let us how the mapping goes when you get it sorted mate
Old 22 Nov 2006, 07:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill-type-R View Post
Dont get him started Paul mate!!

Hope you let us how the mapping goes when you get it sorted mate
will do phil
Old 22 Nov 2006, 07:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Wanting to get mine done ASAP for me, but with work cuts and not many hours, things arent gonna be easy at all!!

Are you gonna get her rolled before and after to see any differences??
Old 22 Nov 2006, 08:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

no, just arriving in swindon at bob rawles doorstep. have no idea at present what power she is putting out. am restricted by the td04 turbo so i'm just being realistic at present. am a bit worried about taking her full pelt on 'B roads' i've never driven on before in the dark, and i will have been out on the road since 6am! bob has been very re-assuring about this(and he's the passenger) so i'm not too worried. plus he said he will keep a couple of red bulls in his fridge for my arrival so i will be grabbing the 'bull' by the horns(as it were) and it will be warp 9. just hope theres no stray wild life or there maybe some road kill.