Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Road trip/turbo cool down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Oct 2006, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Road trip/turbo cool down

Hello everyone Been in Santa Cruz, California for a week with my new ride. Nothing like taking a new sports car on a 1500 mile road trip! Had a great time visiting friends. The car (04 WRX STI) was awesome and so comfortable and fun. Had a minor problem with the hood scoop coming loose and almost flying off doing 80 mph. Pulled off the next offramp and stopped in an autoparts shop for the fix. I was surprised Subaru didn't use locking nuts on a part that gets so much vibration. For those of you that have hood (bonnet) scoops you might want to check the tightness

I had a friend tell me that it's good to let a turbo driven car idle for a minute or two after driving to allow the turbo to cool down. Any comments? Thanks! Jr
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2006, 08:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Hello everyone

Had a minor problem with the hood scoop coming loose and almost flying off doing 80 mph.
Hi, Jr

Wow thanks for the info regarding the hood scoop coming loose! check the tightness.

Glad you had a great time in Santa Cruz

Quote:

I had a friend tell me that it's good to let a turbo driven car idle for a minute or two after driving to allow the turbo to cool down. Any comments?

Found this info (WRX STi cool down)

Link: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301526

Old 22 Oct 2006, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
With the turbo timer I have I used to let it do whatever (idle for a few minutes or whatever) but after a friend mentioned they are more of a pain sometimes, I've set it to idle for 30seconds as its only ment to let it cool not heat it up again (if its idling there for 2 or 3 minutes...) seems to be fine

1500 miles trip? Not bad Did you manage to get any pics whilst you where out??
Old 22 Oct 2006, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill-type-R
With the turbo timer I have I used to let it do whatever (idle for a few minutes or whatever) but after a friend mentioned they are more of a pain sometimes, I've set it to idle for 30seconds as its only ment to let it cool not heat it up again (if its idling there for 2 or 3 minutes...) seems to be fine
Yeah there's both good and bad points with having a turbo timer fitted. I hate pulling up in somewhere like a busy car park, getting out and then walking off cos it looks as though I've just left it unlocked with the engine running and then everyone stares at me thinking I'm nuts.

Then because it looks like I've left it running it's more tempting for 'Burgular Bill' to try and nick it.

Cheers,

Dale

Last edited by BRRR PTSCHHH!!; 22 Oct 2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
I get that anyways!!
Old 22 Oct 2006, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

LMAO
Old 22 Oct 2006, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to BIG GRINDER!
You need to let that turbo cool down after a quick run. Buy a turbo timer and it will calculate how long your engine needs to run after you stop.

Kev
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I normally just take it easy for the last couple of miles letting brakes and turbo cool down then leave her to run for 1:30/2:00 mins.

Steve
Old 23 Oct 2006, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Thanks for all the great info As a general rule I've always allowed a cool down period for an engine after moderate to heavy use and will continue to do so. I'd consider a turbo timer if it had the ability to sense turbo and engine temp. and adjust idle time accordingly.