Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

WRX+Mods or STI for Hotrod ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2006, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

WRX+Mods or STI for Hotrod ??

Hi everyone, I am a potential Impreza buyer, or well, sort of. I am building a hotrod, and I want it to actually handle and corner well. I have decided to either heavily modify an Impreza, or else rip all the drivetrain / suspension out of one and put it in a custom frame.

I am not that interested in top speed, I know how well I weld, so I donít think Iíll be taking this hot rod over 70Mph or so. But, I would love something with piles of torque in the low end. Something that can get me 0-60 very quickly.

I love the impreza, and think a 4wd hot rod will be pretty unique. I think Iíll take a lot of heat about a 4cyl hot rod, but if I can tell people itís 300+Hp I will feel fine.

So, hereís the question. Assuming I rip everything out and build my own frame, should I splurge for the STI or would it end up cheaper to buy a WRX and add some mods myself. That 300Hp number is important to me.

Either way, thanks for the help!

-Tatsu
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2006, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

tbh 300bhpo out of an sti is very very easy decat and remap and your there, and is very very common.

but depends how far you wanna go, if you want a true hotrod impreza, your gonna be hitting best part of 500-600bhp min
(you'll see 60mph in around 3 second if stripped out and running 500bhp.

if you wanna go totaly mental, fibreglass pannels, road legal drag tyres etc will se you neaer 2.5 seconds 0-60, bear in mind with this power they will easily see 190-200mph if you have a good straight.

as far as start point, again how far are you gonna go? if its whole hog may as well buy a uk turbo or wrx with a blown engine and gut it.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

UK lumps are good for 350 after mapping and breathing......