Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

A visit from the dark side

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2006, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

A visit from the dark side

Hello peeps new to this forum, As an ex evo owner Im thinkin bout gettin a scooby this time as ive quite a few friends who rate them very highly. My question is which one do I go for, I had these in mind

What do you peeps think ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sti8.jpg (58.0 KB, 1 views)
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2006, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

depends, classics are by far the faster lol

tbh i love the sti v6 type r's aka the grey one in the pic, or is that a 5 lol

but think tbh def the one to go for, also depends on your budget, how much you looking to spend?
Old 27 Sep 2006, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Up to bout 14k which wud get a decent 8 or really well sorted type r plus ins
Old 27 Sep 2006, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

type r will range from 9k up to 14k, 14 being a bit ott price wise unless its been mega modified aka 2.5 engine etc.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Only concerns with type r is strength/reliability of bottom end if modded and electronic diff bias contol. Have these caused any problems to you guys on classic models, heard tell that the sti 8 is a much stronger package as a whole ?
Old 27 Sep 2006, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

um, tbh build quality on the nwer versions is higher than classics, but the classics are much lighter hence better performance.

the dccd is pretty expensive to replace, but i'm not sure about the running of it, aka if you have to adjust it stopped or you can adjust it on the move
Old 27 Sep 2006, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Sti 8 all day for me an im a fan/owner of a classic,sti 8`s are very reliable cars as far as subarus go, uk classics are lighter/faster than the equivalent later shape wrx`s(as tidgy`s said) but not as reliable (not sure about performance differences between a sti type r and a sti 8) if i were goin for a classic again would be a sti6 or a wrx sti type-r but you can afford the 8 so for me its really a no brainer.(ultimately though at 14k i`d be looking at evo`s)-flamesuit on
Old 27 Sep 2006, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave
Sti 8 all day for me an im a fan/owner of a classic,sti 8`s are very reliable cars as far as subarus go, uk classics are lighter/faster than the equivalent later shape wrx`s(as tidgy`s said) but not as reliable (not sure about performance differences between a sti type r and a sti 8) if i were goin for a classic again would be a sti6 or a wrx sti type-r but you can afford the 8 so for me its really a no brainer.(ultimately though at 14k i`d be looking at evo`s)-flamesuit on
ban him!!! pmsl

although what sort of evo would you get for 14k?
Old 27 Sep 2006, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Personally I couldnt and probably wouldnt sell my Type R for anything less than £15,000 at the end of it all, but at the end of the day, who would pay it? Plus to me the car is worth so much more

From what I've been told, the newage models are better, bob (a gent on the site here and a few other forums) has had many scoobs and rates the Type R very high.
He's got a WR1 now and doesnt look back on the Type R as a bad car, just an animal Considering what he had done, its not surprising either!!

Personally 2 door models best ever, the WR1, different class of its own
Old 27 Sep 2006, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy
ban him!!! pmsl

FQ260 or FQ320 couldnt you?
Old 27 Sep 2006, 04:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy
ban him!!! pmsl

Mate a fookin gorgeous one

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/102069.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/101397.htm

im in love with the second one someone offer me the right money for mine and im off lol

Get a lot of evo for ya money these days !!!!
Old 27 Sep 2006, 04:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/101140.htm That looks awesome

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/97731.htm I think, sorry, I know, if I could, I would

Last edited by Phill-type-R; 27 Sep 2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 08:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

I would go for the STI 8 its a no brainer might even find a PPP one for that price....As Phill says I have had the Type R in 2.0ltr at 320 bhp but found the gearing to low and the DCCD was so much of a pain in the arse. Leave it rear bias and alls fine but the rear end will come round so easily. Cog it forward to half way and you get the normal scoob grip. But slow down and try to park or reverse with it anything but rear bias and the shafts and splines sound like they are trying to jump out the car. Bit like trying to drive with brakes on. I dropped a 2.5 engine and 6 speed box in also have to change all the diffs to 3.9's So your talking 8-10k for this convertion but it was much better. 380 bhp then. Sold the thing and still only managed to get 12k for it. Bought the WR1 this will keep up with the Type R I had and is even better on the twisties.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 08:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Bob's the man in the know and who has had more scoobies than most of us I trust his advice and know where he's coming from

Just wish I held out buying what I have, but not gonna change it now No matter
Old 27 Sep 2006, 08:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Type R is a great car Phill.... But for me having so many classics the only way forward was newage...I picked a newage car that I thought would hold its value better than the STD Scoobs...Of course if I mod the value goes down the drain... You would loose so much money changing now phill its just not worth it. If I scrapped my Type R when it went bang I would be thousands of pounds better off...