Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Sweet, but what next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2006, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Question Sweet, but what next?

First, thanks to everyone who responded to the last thread I posted about a year ago, looking for advice on exhaust. I wound up with Espelir JGT500R Catback exhaust and it sounds and looks amazing. I love driving faster, safer, and better everytime I get the chance to practice and improve. Unfortunately, as far as mods and technical understanding go... I think I might be mildly retarded.

I have an '04 STi and the only mods are a Blitz SUSPower short-ram cone intake and the aforementioned Espelir JGT500R catback exhaust. It's time for more. On a budget of about $1000-$1500(max, for now), what are the next few parts that would make the most sense for me to put on? The car handles well enough for my taste as of now, so for now my top priority is acceleration.
What do you guys think? Your advice will be most appreciated.
Thanks.
-Tank-
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2006, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

full decat and remap i would of thought would be best bet
Old 24 Jul 2006, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks Tidgy-
I researched the idea and here's what I discovered:
It is indeed sound advice, and I considered it- but I live between Oregon and California in the US and unfortunately, I discovered, pulling the Cat makes it impossible to pass smog emissions tests. As a result I'd have to get the cat welded back in every time I had to re-register my vehicle, so no dice.

I was thinking, what is a sound plan for say, the next two-to-four parts in terms of upgrading my scooby for more performance besides the exhaust (cat and behind) and the intake?
Would I be better off saving for a stage kit?
Or are there individual parts I can obtain and install one at a time for more immediate results? I've heard mixed stories about blow-off valves and upgrading the turbo... so I don't know what to think in that regard.
Once again, your advice is most appreciated, and as I learn more about my car I look forward to contributing more in the future.
Thanks a lot.
-Tank-
Old 24 Jul 2006, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

tbb mines fully decated and i just take it to a friendly service centre to have mot (yearly test done) the exhaust isn't welded in, its just unbolted. so save old exhaust system and then do a quick unbolt, switch, and rebolt as and when needed .

anyway if thats not for you, you could perhaps try brakes or suspension, tests prove that on track brakes make more difference to lap times than power but as said that is on track.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I agree with that! Properly sorted suspension and brakes is a must have before increasing the power....but then there's very few corners in the US I made the mistake of upping my power by quite a bit and leaving the original 2 pot calipers, albeit with better pads and discs. Needless to say I could have my brakes smoking very quickly on a spirited back lane drive and I'd have to come off the track after a couple of laps for them to cool down. I've just changed to a set of AP Racing 6 pot calipers with 335mm discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Goodridge braded hoses and DOT5.1 fluid. The difference is like night and day! Pedal feel is much improved and the stopping power is awesome.....100mph to a standstill in 2.8 secs! These brakes just lap up the hard use and the confidence they give to push on is excellent. I really wish I had done the brakes first!
Old 27 Jul 2006, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Wow! Thats nuts.
Quote:
100mph to a standstill in 2.8 secs!
Back when I spent more time in California, taking it to the track on the weekends, I could definitely see why that would be first improvement to be made. The stock Brembo brakes are good but, well... they're not that good! Staying faster, longer, coming into those turns would be nice.
Although, Phil, I realized just now that what you say is sadly true... here in the US the emphasis is largely placed on straightline speed and less on handling (or driving skill) for that matter. It's usually just a question of who has blown more money on their motor.
....But you know what? To hell with them! I think I may very well look into better brakes and handling. I've always said that what I like best about my STi is that no matter how fast everyone else with their Chevy Corvettes can go on the drag strip, my Scooby could always out-turn them. So why not solidify that handling superiority and take it beyond question.

For curiosity's sake- I've been looking around and what I was thinking of doing for power was: change to a front-mount intercooler, blow-off, cylinders/fuel injection, and ultimately and ECU/remap/tune. This would obviously not be cheap so it'd take a little while, but I thought I'd go all TurboXS if i could and really beef up the performance. Anyway, though, I think I might check out some brakes first.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Yep, as the saying goes - power is nothing without control! It's all very easy going in a straight line, it's those pesky corners that get ya

As for power, you have the right ideas. You need to remove as many restrictions/compromises from the original setup as possible. The exhaust change is a good idea but you can get a sports cat which will replace the standard cat and is much more free flowing. The air filter I would have left until you came to fit the front mount - a good panel filter would provide better power as it is drawing cool(er) air from outside the car. The Blitz is also pretty poor at filtration anyway...the Apexi and K&N are far superior (Check this). After fitting the induction kit, you really should get a remap as they breathe so much easier. An Ecutek remap is initially expensive but the second and subsequent remaps are much cheaper as you have to pay for the license the first time around. You will get a decent increase in performance with your current mods and a remap to suit.

So for your budget, maybe get the front mount intercooler and a remap. You should have 550cc injectors anyway so you have plenty of scope for increased power without changing them.
Old 29 Jul 2006, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Cant wait on the car getting finally finished... I hope we are gonna see some pics

Those AP's sound awesome If I manage a FMIC, I'll tempt myself to the Apexi kit