Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

performace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2006, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

performace

hi again, ive done this so i know what to look for later on when i wish to do sections of the car.

i would appreciate some links to perfomace parts for power/acceleration.

and i shall explain what i will be after in my car and to what you could possibly advice me on what i could increase on the car.

im a well known fast driver in the family and within friends and im a perfectionist when it comes to staying on my side of the road when at fast speeds even around corners, i will do an easy 90+ on near clear roads, but im also known to be a stickler for safe breaking . in other words a few years ago when i knew i would be slowing down , i simply decided to improve on my attention to braking within a safe distance. if that makes any sense.

if there are sites with detailed information on parts so i can read from as that will help for future refrences.

cheers
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2006, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

improved performance wise is a huge area, where you start and stop depends on your budget.

on mine i've had decat, remap, suspension, uprated brake pads, defi gauges and a whole shed load of other bits and bobs.

if your lookng for 500bhp or more your gonna need to go to a bigger engine i would have thought, then of course you have bigger turbos etc etc

something to bear in mind is the uk turbo engine isn't very strong internally, once you reach about 330-350bhp your on the limit of the pistons and it prob wont last very long.

braking wise again depends how much you want to spend, ap 6 pots will prob not leave you much change from 2k byt the time you have bought them and had them fitted and set up.

suspension you can change the shocks springs drop links, anitroll bvars etc etc and have a totaly different car.

the overriding factor is how deep your pockets are and how mad you wanna go
Old 19 Jul 2006, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/
http://www.scoobymania.co.uk/
http://www.grahamgoode.com/subaru/
http://www.powerengineering.co.uk/acatalog/subaru.htm
http://www.zenperformance.co.uk/

a few there to have a look at mate theres loads of others though will sort some more later.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

since the inital bhp is 280. and you say the engine isnt that strong much past 350, im guessing a new more stronger power engine would cost near what a price of a the car the new negine came from vcorretc? and what would this price be .

and im not planning on going past 400bhp. like i said before im wanting to set thr car for powerful acceleration, torque in mid range and the capabilities and aceleration even at 100mph as if it wa just a thought.

i may sound like a "chav" as ive recently been blasted by some idiot on a site but i know what i like when driving.

it lookes from the company i ws told about ie scooby clinic, that the first thing likely to happen is the front and upper intercooler due to the fact scoobies are known heating, but from that site it sttes they only do from 2001....so question would be is it possible to adjust it so i am able to fit those intercoolers on?
Old 19 Jul 2006, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

aslo www.scoobyclinic.com
Old 19 Jul 2006, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

thanks mate, i appreciate that. this is bining back memories or reasrch i did for what dump valves/blow off valves engine compents etc lol the days of dreams

yep alredy have that site mate when someone mentioned scooby clinic i just did a google and found them, which is why i stated about the intercoolers etc
Old 19 Jul 2006, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

mines been mapped and decated by scooby clinic, and isn't running a front mounted intercooler or uprted oil cooler, and the poor dear is suffering in this heat. the extra boost and power its running is causing temps to run dangerously high if pushed hard for any longer then 30 seconds or so .

the defi gauges i've got fitted tell me oil temp, oil pressure and boost pressure so i can tell when to back off, which as said is very quick in this heat. (there currently set to warn at about 107/108 degrees, which is slightly below what they told me is safe to run at, just me being over safe but rather that than new eninge)

the front mount intercooler will lower temp of air comming into turbo and oil cooler will keep oil much much lower in temp.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

this is the owner of scoobyclincs car, which i might add, is what a 22b looks like

Old 19 Jul 2006, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quote:
isn't running a front mounted intercooler or uprted oil cooler, and the poor dear is suffering in this heat. the extra boost and power its running is causing temps to run dangerously high if pushed hard for any longer then 30 seconds or so
so by this you are telling me doing a front intercooler is a good move as the last thing you want is the car dieying from over heating

so the intercooler is very wise then since the cooler air going through the turbo produces smoother power correct? and the cool oil produces healthier perfomance?

PLUS

ive just read if im correct that a more modern turbo can be placed onto a early to mid 90's impreza without issues and it wise to go for a larger turbo if the rest of the car will be enhancd as its the rubo that is tha mina point on power

MIGHT be my system is adjusting superman at the mo but i cant see any pictures posted on these forums.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modifiedmad
so by this you are telling me doing a front intercooler is a good move as the last thing you want is the car dieying from over heating

so the intercooler is very wise then since the cooler air going through the turbo produces smoother power correct? and the cool oil produces healthier perfomance?

PLUS

ive just read if im correct that a more modern turbo can be placed onto a early to mid 90's impreza without issues and it wise to go for a larger turbo if the rest of the car will be enhancd as its the rubo that is tha mina point on power
front mount is defa good move, no extra power as such, just smoothes out temps as you say, tends not to be as good at cooling whole engine aka oil temps cos its just affecting the inlet temp and therefore air pressure coming in (de to air being more dence when cold)

keeping heat dopwn is a biggy with impreza's they do run hot.

depends on whay car, some earlier cars had a td05 turbo which has got more grunt than the newer ones which have td04 (like mine )
Early cars tend to have smaller injectors though

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/artyscoob/DSCN1193.jpg

Last edited by Tidgy; 19 Jul 2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 12:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Young Scooby

The page cannot be displayed, im getting that from the link. lol

why the hell are the newer engines having less grut? thats stupid.

so what turbo would be wise to go for then since the newer ones are not that great, and i am thinking that changing the injectors are a good idea aswell.

ah the reason the link isnt workeing is becuase you have done this

http://http://

which wont work take away the first inital http://

Last edited by Modifiedmad; 19 Jul 2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 12:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modifiedmad
The page cannot be displayed, im getting that from the link. lol

why the hell are the newer engines having less grut? thats stupid.

so what turbo would be wise to go for then since the newer ones are not that great, and i am thinking that changing the injectors are a good idea aswell.
tbh not sure y they put a smaller turbo on, think it might be the wrx imports that do, then when the uk turbo's finaly arrived they dropped them to smaller ones, bit crap realy.

the early phase 1 engines have 330cc injectors, where as phase 2 have 440's, bear in mind though they are ar different fitment between phases.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 12:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd
injectors, intercooler, turbo, fuel rails, headers, exhaust, ecu, how deep are your pockets?

As said before it does depend on how far you are wanting to go.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 01:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Young Scooby

well i can say that i will have this car for at least 5 years i hope. i have "enough" money to spend the car on but wont spend ridiclous amounts ie like the same amount for a ferrri lol.

im after speed/acceleration/quickness and the car to be able to be upgraded later on, i am willing to spend some money but not silly money.

ie i refuse to spend the likes of 1k on wheels and thats just an exmaple.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 01:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

um, well heres a ruff guess for you.

suspension 1400 for shocks, springs, drop links, roll bars, anti lift kit
decat 550
remap 800 ish, but depends if ecu can be remapped or if piggyback is needed
ap brakes 2000 6pots

then if you wanna go mad,

turbo upgrade 1000
front mount 800
oil cooler 500
injectors 350

may need a fuel pump at about 100 ish (not sure on that price though)

all the prices are approx but should be able to source and have fitted for that sort of cost