Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Scooby Ownership

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2006, 02:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Scooby Ownership

Hi, its not a slating, but just a comment. Just bought a wrx after having a clio cup, and to be quite honest am very disappointed. Always had an impression of imprezas been hardcore aggressive tools for the road! Drive it at speed and hard and your life is on the edge, its so unresponsive and unbalanced at speed. Fair enough it gets to speed quick, but even that is unthrilling, I know its the way they work on boost, but as a drivers car, it lacks, sorely! There are many cars i could 'out speed' but bjesus when you get off the straights you just keep wondering which end is going to give up first (and not really knowing). Fair play neither really gos, but it feels like it will. Trying to balance the car through a quick s is just rediculous, I hate to think what will happen if I have to do something quickly at speed! In summary fast (but doesnt give much feel of it) and feels like a p&o ferry, which is just saved by the 4 wheel drive for grip. Unrewarding isnt the word! wasted is more the word, why have they made a WRX version that works like this, if you can go so fast you would dexpect the rest of the car to be able to perform in the same way. And dont even get me started on braking hard into a corner! Awesome car.... could be!

So in conclusion I am half drawn towards it because of the 'it could be' idea, maybe the STi prodrive would help, but it just seems weird at 20k+ to be like this, goven their heritage etc. Anyway im selling mine to back to the smallr 2 door hatches and want a vxr, typer, trophy. I have always liked th clio v6 but i think that will be even worse.

Ill still see that steroid abused car in the rear view and move over and still like it, but... nah, as a drivers car its not all that.

but that leaves the question what next!?

Im plumming for a clio trophy i think, but made to go a little faster, its hard to find anything that handles so perfectly, but they are a little slow, so maybe a vxr 220 turbo.

Any ideas that i havent thought about... bring them on
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2006, 07:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Sorry you got a negitive experience with the car - i would say that the wrx is more suited to a stabler drive, alot of people mod the handling, braking from the start after purchasing a wrx (sway bar, drop links, uprated discs / pads, suspension, struts etc). The sti would give far better performance in the situations you refer too.

You didnt mention what version you had?

Its a different ball game enjoying a two wheel driven car (more fun at lower speed) !

All the best and good luck with your decision

Last edited by skylight; 18 Jul 2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

In my experience, I can't fault the car at high speed. Took it rounds some lovely bends last night, across a few very narrow bridges, all without worry. The prodrive suspension and a good set of toyo tyres fill me with confidence, I trust the car to stay on the road... I think I would chicken out before the car would!! Maybe the uprated suspension is what you need to set your car off and give you that fun you are looking for.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

think to be fair comparing a wrx to a clio cup isn't that fair. the clio cup is designed to be a road going track car and are very very quick round corners and good fun, the wrx is designed to be a fairly fast road car, but isn't a patch on the sti.

I've got a classic uk turbo and have owned it with standard suspension setup and uprated.

When i first got it it was standard, it felt twitchy at high speed, under heavy breaking, acceleration and fast cornering. It didn't fill me with confidence, but even only push as hard as i dared (which wasn't that far) it was still a quick car, but i felt it didn't give me the feed back i needed as far as when arse end would step out etc.

Since then i've spent a load on uprating the struts, springs, anti roll bars, drop links, stearing rack bush's and anti lift kit and fook me its a whole different car.
Just tootling round i push it harder then i used to when i was trying, its much more stable in all areas and gives me much more feed back as far as when the back end will let rip, which i might add it now doesn't suddenly go, it slowly moves out rather than step out, i can feel it control it and a bit more lock to get it out properly lol.

as far as comparing other cars to impreza's, yeah there are other cars better handeling straight out of the box, but if you change the parts i've mentioned it will make it a whole different car that will go round corners like its on rails.

something to note is that as standard the wrx's are renowned for not being particularly well handeling, they have shed loads of grip which makes them quick.
so if you change the suspension set up, wow, whole new car.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Cool, thanks guys, sort of backed up what I was thinking anyway.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

you mayfind if you spend a bit of cash on suspension mods it will solve your probs.

where abouts in uk are you? or are you further afield than that?
Old 18 Jul 2006, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

well that was an alternative, but then i may as well just get an sti if im going down that route
Old 18 Jul 2006, 03:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

lol, yeah mate go for it
Old 18 Jul 2006, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
sti`s are still dissapointing in the suspension area in my opinion,gotta admit to being dissapointed with my uk classic(mates have sti`s) when i first got it-suspension/brakes left a lot to be desired made a big difference when i changed the suspension as tidgys said but still gotta get some AP`s brembos whatever on the front can throw it about just stopping from high speeds a problem though the abs pisses me off aswell-were hardly noticable on me pug 106gti though did work-sometimes on the scooby think ud be able to stop far quicker without it if it didnt start fcuking about.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Jesus Dave! Got myself out of breath reading that one PMSL

Know what you mean though Breaking very hard with uneven handling can cause very undesirible effects!
Old 18 Jul 2006, 03:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
sorry gareth i were on a roll and drinkin a cup of tea ......its been a long day lol started at 8 oclock an this is me first break (if i`d have used punctuation or stopped to think about it the flow would have been lost )
Old 19 Jul 2006, 11:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Young Scooby

jesus so i will have to do all the upgrades like tidgy said to me, unless i get a sti which im guessign would cost me around 18k