Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

My heart goes out to Poxy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2006, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

My heart goes out to Poxy.

Poxy (Paul) of zone racing had his car burst into flames at the qualifing at CC... Under bonnet burn't out. This happen bank holiday monday... Paul had managed 3rd in the first quallifing.
Paul has the ability to be a winner even though he has 150 bhp less than most his rivals. Was not long back his lap time was 1:25 at this stage he though his car should come off the road and be used for racing. After suspension tweaks and roll cage his times soon dropped to the 1:20ís a few tweaks to engine then gave him the 1:19 Paul had been looking for. Then Paul has MAF problem and has motec fitted to do away with the MAF and he hits the 1:17 in qualifying even with the car misfiring. Think a little more work was needed when mapping the motec. The car burst into flames along the straight, flames coming into cabin Paul managed to stop the car quickly and jump out. 12 extinguishers were used to put the car out. It kept reigniting. Car is plastered with powder and the burn on the bonnet seems to be above the power steering reservoir, perhaps a rubber hose leaked or squirted onto turbo have a job to confirm this as the hoses are burnt away.
Just heard Paul has fitted new rad and hoses but upon filling the rad the water poured into the sump..
So looks like the engine let go and was the Initial cause of the fire...Mechanic's say they could here the car detting as it went by Camp only to burst into flames just after.
I just hope he can come back from this, as Paul is one of the best saloon car drivers Coombe has to offer.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2006, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to tiny
hope he gets it sorted soon
Old 02 Jun 2006, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

That ain't good. Hope you get it sorted ok Paul.....

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 03 Jun 2006, 05:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

thanks bob.

cheers for the kind words.

just need to try and sort a plan for a new motor.money is tight as the saftey gear,brakes ,gearbox,motec,all cost a fortune and i am now skint.

well i for one will now never go on track without a fire system in the car,as mine stoped the fire that was in the cab with me

not a happy poxy
Old 03 Jun 2006, 06:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
My heart and thoughts go with you mate I'm just glad you wherent caught up in it. After all, it could have been much worse

I'm sure you'll end up coming back out on top and I wish you all the best in getting to that number one spot

I dont know if there is anything we can do, but please, give us a shout would you if there is?

I'll also try and come and see you when you get everything sorted and ready for the next race I think it would be an honour Maybe you might be able to teach me a thing or too about how fast the Impreza really is?

Apparently I'm 'Mr Daisy'!!

Seriously mate, all the best
Old 03 Jun 2006, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Sorry to hear this terrible news Paul you must be gutted mate

All the best Paul

Old 03 Jun 2006, 07:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

shat man - maybe time to get some sponsorship poxy - rally round local business ???

good luck man

if theres anything i can do web wise just let me know
Old 03 Jun 2006, 05:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

sorry to hear mate, hope your back soon, bigger and better
Old 03 Jun 2006, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

it had the .org stickers all over it as well.

motor is out and is well dead.no wonder the fire was so bad
Old 03 Jun 2006, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Paul, I'm very sorry to hear of your bad news....

at least you were unhurt...
Old 04 Jun 2006, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

sorry to hear about the bad news! hope it all works out for ya in the end !!
Old 04 Jun 2006, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

well i will find out next week
Old 04 Jun 2006, 08:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Sory to hear this matey but glad oyu got out OK, ill replace the .org stickers for you if ya like...
Old 06 Jun 2006, 11:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Paul's (Poxy's) report...

First of all the car went to have some work done. As many know my MAF had been failing on the Apexi, so I decided to go for a Motec, a different induction kit and a new set of spark plugs.

Upon collecting the car late on Friday, driving home the car started mis-behaving, the revs would rise and fall on their own and stall if not held above 1500 rpm, so I was having to brake with handbrake while trying to keep engine above 1500 rpm.

When I got home I rang the garage to check if the car was ok to race like this, and was told to just turn the tick over up to stop it from stalling which I did. This enable to engine to keep running to a fashion.

On raceday car was full up with fuel and set off for 1st qualifying, a few laps in the car started to stutter/mis-fire on the right hand bends, down the straight and left handers it was fine. As the problem was not too bad I didnít pull in. We returned to pits to let cars cool down.

Then back out for 2nd qualifying, within a few laps the problem returned on entering Avonís Rise there was a big whoosh from under the bonnet which resulted in flames coming out the bonnet scoop and in through the vents into the car. I pulled the car over, not easy as it was slipping on fluids, I hit the internal fire system which put the fire out in cab and the marshals put the fire out under bonnet with a further 6 extinguishers. A bit later in the day Turveyís and Neals mechanics both said that the car sounded like it was detting like mad a couple of laps before it went bang, to which I told them I donít think itís gone bang, itís just an under bonnet fire, but they were very confident that it was definitely detting.

The car was returned home and we started to take a look. First thing we found was that the passenger side rear spark plug cap was only partially on, obviously causing the mis-fire on right handers. It was then noted the big hole in top of engine. When we took the engine out, we checked the spark plugs 3 out of 4 were moved by hand, only one required rachet assistance to be removed. When the headers were removed it was noted that the hole in the engine was the same cylinder that the spark plug cap was incorrectly fitted. The conrod on cylinder head had snapped, thowing oil over the turbo and causing the under bonnet fire.

This has all been told to garage, to which they replied nothing to do with them, nothing to do with what work they had done, car will run fine on 3 cylinders but he did apologise for the plugs not being correctly fitted. He did offer to map the car once I have had the repairs done.

Paul has used slicks and never had fuel surge so not the tyres...as he say's always runs on full tank.

Bonnet damage.

What was camshaft covers..

This is the plug they found loose as you can see this is the one the rod has gone through on.

Undoing the plugs by hand no ratchet needed....

All the car filled with foam...
Old 07 Jun 2006, 04:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

thanks bob.

the more more i see these pics,there are lots more.The more it upsetting it seems to get.

car does look a lot better now though