Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Advice Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2006, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Advice Needed

Hi Lads / Ladies

Im after advice on the safest and best mods to do on my 98 impreza terzo?

Im quite new to Imprezas bought mine about 6 months ago now and im managed to loose my licence i was caught doing 110mph in a 70 zone then 90 in a 60 zone (never noticed the unmarked plolice Volvo lurking arround in the back)

Anyways im currently on a year ban (only been a month and it feels like a year allready) Now i dont have the dreded fuel cost and insurance ( im only 24 ) cost of the car its begining to free up some money so i was thinking instead of peeing my wages against the wall at the weekend i would mod my motor instead!

im after oviously a bigger BHP but i want to do this as safley as poss last thing i want to do is get my car back on the rd for the car to Blow up!

My Car at the moment is standard apart from a Dump Valve and the performace exhaust from the down pipe back! whats the best thing to start with front mount intercooler?? remap?? argh i need help!!

Oh yeah one more thing if anyone can give me advise on keeping the car in good condition as its off the rd not been taken out for a run!

The car is Garaged and i pull the car out of the garage every couple of days start it let it warm up give it a few revs pull it forward and back a few time to make sure nothing sticking on?

anything better i could be doing??

I spoke to my insurance company yesterday to get a new quote for the car they advised me i could insure the car now and have it on my policy that im not insured to drive the car and let anyone of my mates with a full licence drive it covered by my policy, do i take the risk to let a mate drive the car so it can be kept on the move??

any advise given is much appreciated and i thank you in advance!

cheers

David
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2006, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Gotta be honest the best mod ive done to mine so fars been the suspension (though want coilovers still in time)the car never gave me confidence before to throw it about, in reality i`d go for suspension and brakes first because you`ll actually find you were never really using the power you`d got to its full potential(other than in a straight line when you got caught-feel for ya mate)would get a front mount and uprated fuel pump maybe ported headers/tubular(your choice)and any major ish mods that will affect how its mapped as mapping again and again costs money-best place to look at whats the best things for you to do/buy is in technical on scoobynet and look in projects to see what the top lads are up to,learnt loads from there meself.Hope this helps.
Old 18 May 2006, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

now thats something i never thought off

id have to agree i thought the impreza would be alot more impresseive in the corner.

Maybe suspension would be a good a place as any to start thanks m8!

i have just bought a set of black dimond 295mm discs and pads for my car, should i look at improving the brake calipers so i can fit even bigger or should that be ok (always thought the standard brakes were ok lol)

1 more thing alloys, i have a set of 17" alloys that im panning on refurbing so i just skit the 17" and go for something bigger?

thanks again for the help
Old 18 May 2006, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie
now thats something i never thought off

id have to agree i thought the impreza would be alot more impresseive in the corner.

Maybe suspension would be a good a place as any to start thanks m8!

i have just bought a set of black dimond 295mm discs and pads for my car, should i look at improving the brake calipers so i can fit even bigger or should that be ok (always thought the standard brakes were ok lol)

1 more thing alloys, i have a set of 17" alloys that im panning on refurbing so i just skit the 17" and go for something bigger?

thanks again for the help
Ive got 18`s on mine but theyre not to everyones liking, thinner sidewalls mean a harsher ride, dodging potholes all the time, a bit of tramlining, imo theyre worth the hassle but alot in fact the majority of ppl would say 17`s are the ideal wheel for the classic shape.
Old 18 May 2006, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks again for you advise and help m8