Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

buying a used impreza from a dealer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2006, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

buying a used impreza from a dealer

i have always brought second hand cars privately and have never brought one from a dealer and i just wondered what the benefit is of buying a used car from a dealer, is it just piece of mind?
can you get much off the screen price of a used car from a subaru dealer?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2006, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

buy for a dealer you pay more but get a gaurenty of some sort.

you'll either be lucky or unluckiy buy private,
i bought mine private and have since spent £5k on it, half of which was me wanting things for it, other half was parts that needing sorting, eg windscreen had a crack when i bought it, suspension went soft, servicing etc (had massive service done when i bought it which came to about £600)

if your a first time buyer of a specific car (have to say especialy performance cars) then recomend dealer due to not knowing what to and what not to look out for.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks m8, anymore advice?

Last edited by Ballsy_WRX; 13 Apr 2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

running cost can be vary variable, if you get a very good car which doesn't go wrong very often your prob looking at.

average of £300 servicing per year (1st year is small so about £130 ish, second same again 3rd biggy which will be about £600 so averages about £300)

like all jap cars if you treat it well it will be reliable. let it warm up before you boot it, cool it down before you shut it off regular oil changes etc

oil changes are recomended every 3k if your doing short jurneys and driving it hard, if you doing longer motorway jurneys every 7.5 k will be fine (recomended at 3k anyway though), price will vary dpending on how much you wanna spend and what oil you put in, mine cost about £100 cos i have silk pro s put in.

specific problems on wrx, i don't think there are any , but not up on new age very much so best someone else answering that.

fuel econemy, tough one, depends how you drive it, prob get 30ish to the gallon on motorway cruising then high to mid teens booting it (maybe out on this bit again due to new age thing, but sounds about ball park)

then after that you got insurance which cold be anywhere from £400 ish for older peple to £3k + for young guys and girls.

parts failure will mainly be casued by driver, you can kill a clutch in about 2months or one day of you drive it hard or are launching it at say santa pod, or could last three years. be about £400 ish for a clutch

tyres, again will depend on how hard you drive it and what you have on, toyo proxies are common, my 215/40/17s cost £70 per corner so leave you to work that out yourself.

then after that its a case of how deep is your pocket for mods, you can spend £100 on a mod eg induction kit, £3k on a rally spec gearbox or £20k+ on an engine build.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to BIG GRINDER!
Hi
I would have thought Subaru dealers still give 12 months warrenty. Providing your services are done with Subaru.
Subaru said I could have it for £500 cheaper if I didnt take the Warrenty(3 years ago). No harm in asking if your doing your own service

Kev