Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Test Drive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2006, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Test Drive

Ok, this might sound like a stupid question, but how do u take a test drive? I mean to what extent?

I say this because I've never test driven a car before, I've had two cars, first a 206 (feck testing it, I was happy enough to have a car so soon after passing). I then moved up to the GTi 180 because obviously i needed something faster yet was happy with the Pug.

Now its time to move up the ladder again and I'm considering the WRX (with all these cheap import prices, how can one not be tempted??!!)
Now there's no way I'm going to buy a WRX without test driving one because I want to compare it with a Honda DC5 which I am also considering at the moment.

Ok, so how fast and extreme does the salesman let u drive the car?

Also, sort of off topic,
my mate who has the facelift DC5 says I should follow suit as the Teg is a better car overall. He says that although the Scoob will whip the DC on the bendies, the DC is faster on straight roads, esp when its in Vtec mode. Views on this?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2006, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

If your buying new i think Subaru do a 24 hour test drive/// check at your local dealers. The sales man would allow a little throttle Should also tell you a good route to take

Outside of the test drive - if you a re buying second hand - check out the checklist ! http://www.subaru-impreza.org/impreza-checklist.html

Welcome to the site - good luck and please keep us informed.

All the best

Gareth
Old 07 Apr 2006, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

first things first, check you can get insurance you can afford. can you afford the running costs, they will be way higher than any car youv'e had before, bear in mind if your using it as a daily driver you be spending £300 a month on fuel easy.

right got that bit out the way,

to be honest you'd have to be a bit of a fool to jump into a car you've never driven before and rag it. If your a first time buyer i would advise buying from subaru or dealer so you get garenty.
you'll find it totally different than any other car you've driven i would have though power and grip will be very very good.

they were doing (not sure if they still are) week long test drives might be worth doing that and see what you think.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

wether its faster than a dc5 depends on driver.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks guys. Just reading through the site now.

Didn't know about the 24hr/week long test drives. Will have to enquire about that one
Old 07 Apr 2006, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

think theres an age restriction though
Old 07 Apr 2006, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

we are all here to assist as all been in the boat

Any queries just fire away
Old 07 Apr 2006, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I think the salesmen expect you to push the car a little, esp when your testing a 'performance' car. i was doing well over 100mph round the twisty roads at the back of loch lomond, although the salesman did look a little pale at the end of the test drive... and so did my wife in the back seat!

I'm not sure of any age restriction (i've just turned 25, and my wife is 23) and we were both offered the test-drive..
Old 07 Apr 2006, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

here u have to be 21 or older to test any car! from a 106 to an impreza i think
Old 07 Apr 2006, 08:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I think youll find driven well the DC5 will be quicker in the bends, the scoob will be quicker out of the bends and on the straight.

The DC5 will be a little hardcore compared to a scoob. Also consider the EP3 if tou are not looking at new

If you dont mind a slightly older car consider a DC2