Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

How can I get more Torque?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Mar 2006, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Question How can I get more Torque?

Whats going to be the first and 'cheapest' way of getting more torque from my Type R?

I was thinking of changing the induction kit, adding a sports cat, headers and a re-map, but is there anything else?

I'm not so fussed on the BHP but more so on the Torque of the car. Around 320Bhp would be great without having to change anything more, but what's my torque going to be does anyone think?

Just looking for some advice and opinions at the moment

Many thanks guys and gals
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2006, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

im no exspert but a remap then a digital boost controller will give a lot more.
if u would like to run realy hight boost water injectins is good.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 05:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to stumeek
Phill, there's an equation that works it all out, the one linking torques and horses, but I'm buggered if I can find it.

I'll wage a badger that lightening the turbo will give you more tourqe from lower down at least.

I think you've covered most of the bases.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Thanks guys, I have been talking to a gent from AS Perforance about it and he also said that I had more or less covered the basics... I guess there's nothing more I can do? Without going into stupid money?
Old 29 Mar 2006, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumeek
Phill, there's an equation that works it all out, the one linking torques and horses, but I'm buggered if I can find it.

I'll wage a badger that lightening the turbo will give you more tourqe from lower down at least.

I think you've covered most of the bases.
u sure mate coz ive seen the same(well as near as)bhp cars before with a vast difference between torque figures.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 01:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave
u sure mate coz ive seen the same(well as near as)bhp cars before with a vast difference between torque figures.
BHP=torqueXrpm/5252

A wrc car is limited to 300 bhp (i think it is) but has masses of torque about 600-700ft/lbs but max bhp must be down to 2750 rpm approx. All punch no top end. Its the gearing that gives the higher speeds. The power band in these is more like a diesel, all punch low down but no rev's, next gear quick.
Now a F1 car has lots of BHP but most of you scoob owners have more torque than the F1 car. But the F1 car rev's at 19,000-20,000rpm.

Its no good having a car with 300ft/bls at 4500 if there is only 150 ft/lbs at lower or higher rev's
You are better of having 250 ft/lbs through the rev range.. This will make a more drivable car.
When I look at the graphs from the RR's I look for the area below the torque curve. The larger the area the more drivable the car. No good having 400 ft/lbs but only as a small spike as this will give a small area.
Can you understand this???
Old 30 Mar 2006, 07:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanks for that bob
Old 30 Mar 2006, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to Scooby Dee
If you're as skint as you say you are I'd not do anything to the car if it doesn't really need it as once you change one thing it usually means you have to change something else and so on.

I hear that diesels have great torque
Old 31 Mar 2006, 06:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

PMSL!!! A DIESEL Scooby!!!

Genius Dee!!!
Old 04 Apr 2006, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Thanks for that bob I understand just fine

Was told at Alan Jefferies, when I get her re-mapped I'll see a vast improvement over the entire rev range with everything as mine is running rich and just basically, wasting fuel So with the downpipe and a fuel pump, the re-map should give me a more driveable car anyways

Looking forward to getting it done shortly
Old 04 Apr 2006, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

The cheapest way of gaining more torque, is to lose the cat completley.
I'm sure the sports cat is good, but not as good as no cat.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 09:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

I'm told the sports cat will cost me 1bhp maybe 2bhp. Its a small price to pay considering the hassle I could have if I got stopped or failed an MOT
Old 04 Apr 2006, 09:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I suppose so. But it's definatley the "free" way of gaining torque.
I wouldn't expect Sccoby owners would get much hassle from the law in regards to the exhaust. They pretty much know it has a distinctive sound any how. But thats just assuming, as I don't own one yet.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 09:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

They do recommend the exhaust to be the first thing to upgrade as that's the one thing that holds the car back..

I just dont want the hassle for having it completely de-catted and getting pulled over etc...