Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

new vs old?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2006, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

new vs old?

Alright guys.

This be my first post, I've got a load of questions that need answering, and thought this would be a good place to start.

Well basically I'm looking to spend about 14k on a facelift '03+ WRX, and have seen some in autotrader for around this price, but at the same time, I'm tempted after I saw the chance to purchase a brand new '06 WRX EU import from www.allbrandsnew.com for 15,757!!

So first off, what is the difference in performance between these two models, mainly the 0-60 and mpg.

Second, will there be any problems buying an import (built to uk spec)?
Anyone have one?

Which one should I go for?

Cheers, any help would be great.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2006, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I had a quick look and could not find a specs sheet.
If you had a spec sheet for both you could compare figures. Imports are supported for spares etc anyway due to the popularity of the model. JDM models (Japenese domestic market) tend to have better performance and specs. I expect the EU import model is very similiar to the uk just bought on the contintent cheaper....Try www.Litchfields for a JDM Import WRX and www.motorpoint for uk WRX without the dealer price hike. I'd personnaly go for the JDM model. IF you intend to modify you need to take into account your warranty. I bought a std Uk Newage Bugeye sec Hand (208) and to be honest it felt a little tame and lack pace.....hence it is 280 BHP now.......It really all depends what you want.....now personally i wished i saved a bit more and got an STi .
Hope this helps.
BOOSTED
Old 08 Mar 2006, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Dont think i`d ever buy a brand new scooby mate to be honest,depreciation is shocking-only thing to watch with the imports is the warranties-know there were issues about subaru not covering their cars not supplied brand new by authorised dealers (ie imports)think this may have been resolved now though but worth checking.Would ask the same questions on scoobynet mate as theres that many members youre sure to find someone who`s been there an done that.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

It really can be a minefield as you really need to do some research and know what you what it for. If you go for the newage WRX 03 + it is worth looking for the ppp. (prodrive pack) as this boosts the performance and you should be ok with any warranty offered.
passing thought.....the Uk Bugeye does not come with rear wash wipe and the rear seat don't split!!!!was not high on my list of priorities but has annoyed me immensly this time of the year when i blindly reverse of my drive.... Dont now about the facelift.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks guys, will have to do a little bit more reading and searching on the net.

Anyone know how fast the 03+ wrx is to 60?
I checked autoexpress and the newage model does it in 5.4secs, I assume it is a lot slower than this
Old 08 Mar 2006, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

50 to 70 is best indication as the only thing in your way to monster down your fav b road is granny on here way back from sunday tea morning.......the WRX is def quick car std but the Newage uk model has 3 Cats to keep the emmissions low this takes some of the pace off it...... That why it is 208 BHP. Bearing in mind your putting this power down through a 4 wheel drivetrain so the power at the wheels is a lot lower. In tweaked form my old 200sx s14 (modded 250 bhp) rear wheel drive was a hell of lot quicker everywhere(apart from bends!!!!). (my girlfriends car now). hence the modding route!!!!. Test drive loads and ask to find a nice B road thats where the impreza really shines. With that sort of money to spend you wanna get it right. Have you driven any examples yet?

Boosted.