Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

please tell me i've done the right thing!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Feb 2006, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

please tell me i've done the right thing!

Oops! just spent a few pennies on the motor. bl**dy hell it mounts up quick!

i'm taking a trip up north next week. to scarborough to visit an old mate. well, i'm actually visiting him second, as i've booked myself in with Harvey Smith in Darlington, yorkshire (my mates place is a stop off). i just need some encouragement from yous lot to tell me i've done the right thing.
have been toying with Ďwhat final mod before a re-map?í for a while, and now the ball is rolling. Iím having Harvey smith headers and customised up-pipe fitted. Heís been in constant contact over the last week but of course nothing is as simple as one often thinks. Before heíll work on the car he has insisted (and rightly so) that I have a knock link and boost gauge fitted. Boost gauge is on order and knock link he is supplying at a reasonable rate. So to do things properly Iíve purchased a purpose built ĎA pillar podí for my classic scoob. Iíve also purchased an up rated walbro fuel pump, as this, if not needed at present will be a cert when getting the car re-mapped(eventually).
So, put all this togetherÖ
Harvey smith ported, dressed and DEI exhaust wrapped headers
a slip jointed Ďspecialí uppipe and studs.
Boost gauge
Double A pillar pod
Knock link and sensor
Walbro fuel pump

This is a big step for me as Iíve only got a full decat at moment.
Iím not sure if it all will make much difference in performance before (eventual) re-map, but it better had after the map!
(Please donít hate me children of Africa, I will promise to make more donations to charity! And sshhhh! Donít tell my other half how much Iím spending as sheíll murder me!)

have I done a good thing? What should I expect? (positive feed back only please!)
digging deep(into my pockets) rgds, BB.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Nice one

what model is ur car
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2006, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfink
Nice one

what model is ur car
it's a MY 1999 UK classic (nothing flash), not the best model for modding up, but it's the one i've got, and the one i'm sticking to.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nice one Brum - whats your bruv said about it Ooo youll see some gains now!

Well done m8
Old 15 Feb 2006, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth
Nice one Brum - whats your bruv said about it Ooo youll see some gains now!

Well done m8
thanks gareth, thats what i want to hear. have not told big bro yet
Old 15 Feb 2006, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

I would say Harvey is right in telling you to get boost gauge and a knocklink. As you are not remapping you cannot be sure there will be no det. But the knocklink will show this. With the exhaust mods the turbo will spool much quicker and might even overboost. The boost gauge will show this and Harvey will be able to sort it with a replacement restrictor or manual boost controller.
The headers give great torque increases I got another 30 ft/lbs mapped in with mine.
I would fit the fuel pump if I were you. Always best to make sure enough fuel is reaching the engine.
To top this all off a TEC3 remap is really required. If you think the car goes well after these mods are fitted you will get the same feeling after a remap. The remap also makes the car run safe. I use the knocklink but only wire it up roughly after the remaps I usually dispose of the knocklink.

Good starting points to the cars mods. May you spend many more thousands....
Old 15 Feb 2006, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

bob, just been reading your Mod list. puts my spending into perspective
taken your advice with the fuel pump, and the TEK3 will have to wait another few months, until i regain the piggy bank funds.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

As you will have the knocklink there is no rush for the Tec3.. It is expensive at about 650 but a good mod in my opinion. If you are thinking of going higher than 350 ish a replacement ECU would be a better bet. Gems or Ultronic are about the cheapest but they do do away with the MAF which is one worry of the mind of the MY99-00 owners...
Old 15 Feb 2006, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

bob qoute: 'If you are thinking of going higher than 350 ish a replacement ECU would be a better bet.'
your a nightmare bob, stop putting ideas into my head!
Old 15 Feb 2006, 11:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Sorry M8..... If you happy with the 320-340 bhp then the Tec 3 will handle that ok. Just that if you are not then the 650 quid for mapping will be wasted.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Sorry M8..... If you happy with the 320-340 bhp then the Tec 3 will handle that ok. Just that if you are not then the 650 quid for mapping will be wasted.
i'd be happy with 280 n same in torque. for a while anyways.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 11:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Had 283/276 on a MY98. This car would get me across Exmoor much quicker than any of the Scoobs I have owned. I could brake hard into a bend throw the car in and plant my foot knowing the car would pull me round.. Try that in the Type R and the wheels would spin and I would be off the road.... Have to try to feather the throttle does not give confidence like the MY98.....