Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Bailymotorsport dump valve????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2006, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Bailymotorsport dump valve????

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a Bailymotorsport dump valve for my 04 reg WRX. I was just wondering if anyone has used one and if they reccommend them or some thing else. I thought about buying a HKS blow off valve but do not know if they are worth the extra money. I also thought about a Forge dump valve but do not know the plus or minus points about them. Ultimately I am after one which sounds good and does the job that it is designed for but do not know much about all of the different ones. Also, I am told that they are easy to fit and just wondered how long that they will take to fit.

Any ideas would be grately apreciated.

Cheers guys (and girls).
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2006, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
looks standard doesnt it

Send a message via MSN to pete higham
ive been told that you have to pick the right dump valve for the car as they wont run right .....i dont/wont use one (i like the sound tho)

someone will have the answers your lookin for tho

you might have wanted to post this in the technical area mate
Old 11 Feb 2006, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the reply Pete. I will have to give the dump valve a bit more thought I think. Also, will put this post in the technical area.

Thanks for your help mate.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
looks standard doesnt it

Send a message via MSN to pete higham
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP
Thanks for the reply Pete. I will have to give the dump valve a bit more thought I think. Also, will put this post in the technical area.

Thanks for your help mate.
no worries mate
Old 11 Feb 2006, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Hi John - have got a Forge recirculating dump valve which runs well but doesn't make the whoosh noise of a VTA (vent to atmoshere) dump valve. My recirc one makes a kindoff metalic ping sort of noise which I like - it also doesn't give any slow running problems that I've heard VTA's can give ( I think more so when your running higher boost levels)

Have a look at Forges bits (I think they do a tasty stealth black model to match your paintwork) on http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/

Let us know how you get on
Old 11 Feb 2006, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Needless to say as well - a dump valve won't give you anymore BHP it simply releases the boost pressure off more quickly when you back off the gas to stop the turbo blades stalling (someone will give us a far more technical explanation than me!!) i.e. when changing gear etc - so I have found I tend to have less lag between upchanges and it is less jerky when on and of the accelerator.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Hi John

Johnboy's forgmotorsport Link

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...=1602&cat=1602

Old 11 Feb 2006, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

I have a HKS SSQV on mine and it works well... Nice loud Woosh (which I like)

HKS Site
Quote:
Super Sequential Valve (SSQV).

The HKS Super Sequential Valve is a dual stage pull type relief valve, which prevents compressor surge by releasing (either back into the intake stream or into the atmosphere) the compressed air flow that is normally forced backwards into the turbo as the throttle is closed.
Engine performance is increased from quicker turbo spool up as the compressor speed is not reduced by backwards air flow. The life expectancy of the turbo is also increased, as its bearings will not suffer from the impact that is common with compressor surge. For maximum performance the SSQV incorporates a small primary valve for quick activation that opens under light boost and load conditions and a larger secondary valve that opens sequentially to relieve pressure under higher boost and load conditions. The SSQV is constructed from billet aluminium for durability and has a high quality polished finish.
The SSQV’s are available as vehicle specific kits or as a universal unit for custom applications. Vehicle specific kits come complete with all the necessary mounting flanges, brackets and hardware for easy installation. For the universal applications steel, and aluminium weld on flanges are available.

Gold coloured triple fin inserts that produce the same unique aggressive blow-off sound, as the standard silver inserts are available as an optional replacement, as are metallic purple inserts that produce a lower frequency sound over the standard item. A re-circulating fitting, which re-routes the discharged compressed air back into the intake stream, is also available.

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 11 Feb 2006, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

MRT do a good selection http://www.mrtrally.com.au/shop/ follow - under bonnet and - turbo's and accessories good luck - I think this is where I saw a black BOV ???
Old 11 Feb 2006, 03:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

HKS is cool although i took mine off after two weeks use as thought i noticed lag in the turbo after fitting. Some say they notice this others dont... GREAT sounds though
Old 17 Feb 2006, 10:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for your help guys. This has given me a good insight into BOV's/dump valves. I have just brought a Baily Motorsport off of my friend who has just sold his Impreza, for 30. I will fit it this afternoon and see how I get on. If I am not happy with it I can always sell it for what I brought it for and will give the HKS item a go.

I dont think it should be too hard to fit. I hope I do not break anything in the process!!!!

Thanks for your help.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 10:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP
Thanks for your help guys. This has given me a good insight into BOV's/dump valves. I have just brought a Baily Motorsport off of my friend who has just sold his Impreza, for 30. I will fit it this afternoon and see how I get on. If I am not happy with it I can always sell it for what I brought it for and will give the HKS item a go.

I dont think it should be too hard to fit. I hope I do not break anything in the process!!!!

Thanks for your help.

Oops, sorry, he sold his BOV for 30 and not his 2004 Scooby for 30.