Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Looking for Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2006, 01:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Unhappy Looking for Info

I've got an impreza RS 2.5, manual, 2005. 14k miles on it so far.

I was driving home and hear a loud clack clack clack. This noise keeps going the whole time this event is taking place. I look down 3 seconds later and the "Check engine" light turns on. 10 seconds after that, the "oil" light turns on. I pull over and call subaru roadside.

It gets towed to the dealer and I get a call that there was no oil in the engine and there is severe lower engine damage. They will not cover the reapirs because the last time the oil was changed by them was 10k miles ago.

I'm an impreza noob and mechanically challenged, so be gentle. It seems odd to me that all the oil would be gone from the engine and no leakage from the engine that the oil could have leaked out from. Does it eat that much oil? My last car would go forever and not loose any oil, it would just need to be changed.

Wouldn't there be some kind of pre-warning that the oil was low before it would just burn up and die?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2006, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome99
I've got an impreza RS 2.5, manual, 2005. 14k miles on it so far.

I was driving home and hear a loud clack clack clack. This noise keeps going the whole time this event is taking place. I look down 3 seconds later and the "Check engine" light turns on. 10 seconds after that, the "oil" light turns on. I pull over and call subaru roadside.

It gets towed to the dealer and I get a call that there was no oil in the engine and there is severe lower engine damage. They will not cover the reapirs because the last time the oil was changed by them was 10k miles ago.

I'm an impreza noob and mechanically challenged, so be gentle. It seems odd to me that all the oil would be gone from the engine and no leakage from the engine that the oil could have leaked out from. Does it eat that much oil? My last car would go forever and not loose any oil, it would just need to be changed.

Wouldn't there be some kind of pre-warning that the oil was low before it would just burn up and die?
Hi m8, yes they do drink alo tof oil - all depending on the driving style of course I had to top my 2:0 Turbo up @ 5k intervals and alot do a complete oilchange @ 5k intervals. The impreza is known for its heavy oil changes... However, if the engine was 100% dry of oil surely the check oil level light should have come on before the bottom end went?!

This is an interesting topic, please do keep us informed of developments. Hope things work out for you
Old 27 Jan 2006, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Never used any oil in any of my 2.0 scoobs BUT since changing to 2.5 I found the car just drinks oil... About a pint every 1000 miles I was quite shocked when first dipping the oil to find nothing on the dipstick.
Since then I have fitted an Oil catch can, The car no longer uses tons of oil and I only find condensation in the catch can. As the catch can is vented to atmosphere and not back to manifold the oil is no longer going through the turbo.
The oil vapours must be going from crankcase breather to inlet manifold and sucked/blown into the turbo. I never ever saw any smoke in the exhaust but this very small amount of oil fume must make some effect to the oil used.
Of course the larger the turbo the more suck from the manifold.
Old 15 May 2007, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

sounds odd to me i would put oil in the scooby and start it if sound like sh.t you no for sure its crapped out and the garage is not pulling a fast one on you.
Old 15 May 2007, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
My classic`s done 49,000 miles and doesnt use a bit of oil though its not unusual for new engines to use large amounts now and again on the odd vehicle just untill its bedded in if ya like then oil consumption will usually drop to an acceptable level.Top and bottom of it is it hasnt been checked - yer maybe it shouldnt use that much but if it had been checked earlier and reported to dealer would have been covered under warranty-still pretty crap though 10,000miles with no oil change is asking for trouble on an impreza (imo)change mine every 4,000 and check oil level once a wk.
A place i used to work for had the same problem with a brand new mercedes sprinter van however when the engine went after a couple of thousand mile mercedes did replace F.O.C.
Old 15 May 2007, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by snach4 View Post
sounds odd to me i would put oil in the scooby and start it if sound like sh.t you no for sure its crapped out and the garage is not pulling a fast one on you.
Mate the noise he`s heard already sounds terminal theres gotta be damage done, crank bearings alone will not tolerate no oil.
Old 15 May 2007, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

check the manual see what the service interval is and if it says check the oil at a certain frequency. if not then cover under warrenty.

tis very strange for a nearly new car to be using that much oil. is there any damage to the block? could it have leaked out?