Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Tyre problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2006, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Tyre problems

Hi all, Im having trouble with my tyres, and was wondering if any of you have had similar. My car had the factory fitted bridgestones, which as i was finding out, gave less than satisfactory grip in the wet.
I had to replace the 2 fronts in december, as they were bald. I was looking for a decent wet grip tyre, and the tyre centre reccommended nokian NRZ performance tyres. I couldnt afford to replace the lot, and as the rears still have adequate grip, I opted just to replace front 2.
However, since then, ive noticed the car is handling even worse, and that its now very tail happy, and now a great 'drift' car on roundabouts, which isnt what i want my 4wd to do.!!

So, is this a simple case of better grip at the front, and arse end stepping out, or a 4wd system problem?. Dealership are saying tyres, tyre co, say it shouldnt be a problem!! But I dont want to shell out for 2 new rear tyres, unneccessarily.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2006, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

I personally think that all 4's new is the way to go when changing... It all depends.. for a truly stable (or best performance) drive the tyres should be similar all around... Toyo Proxies are a gerat tyre in dry and wet conditions - Highly recommended by users of this board.

Have a search in the forums for balancing and geometry setup... Also strut braces.. Just a thought.

Please do keep us informed
Old 10 Jan 2006, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Tyre circumference of the new tyres (does affect 4 wheel drive cars more) will be bigger than the worn rears also you have different makes front and rear (Tyre characteristics)

Both will make the car feel strange and handle odly.. I think you need to stump up for rears and then you will see how good or bad the NRZ's are.

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 10 Jan 2006, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to BIG GRINDER!
Hi
Have you checked your tyre pressures? Just a thought.

Kev
Old 14 Jan 2006, 08:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanx for the advice, my pressures r fine, but the tech stuff bowt circumferences makes sense. I'll get the rears done asap, i'll keep with the NRZ's, if no good, will swap to toyo next time!! Apparently most of the super car exports to the USA, are being tested, then fitted with this brand of tyre.
Said the salesman, prob on 20% commission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!