Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

2006 Impreza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2005, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

2006 Impreza

i just want to write a small bit on the impreza 06 model.

i noticed one main thing about it than any other impreza and that was the noise. now it has the 2.5 litre engine i noticed very easily that we dont get the gd boxer burble! which is a huge let down. but that would be my main complain about the 06 impreza that i can find. i love the interior of it, seats are very comfortable and the drivin position imo is great. i also love the sweep the dials do when u start it up. gd to hear they upgraded the transmission because i here previous models had a transmission which was brittle not sure if that is true or not though. i read that the handling has improved and i noticed the speed is better as is the acceleration.
Overall i love this car! the twin spoilers are cool, engine and the rest is all great...my main problem is the noise!

Ps. i dont drive and im still too young incase anyone thinks i am drivin a scoob! (i wish)

if anyone has any comments they would like to add plz feel free to do so

thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2005, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
To be honest mate think the burbles still lurkin deep inside lol my mate picked his up on saturday and has put his afterburner bk box on it so far got centre section to do yet but think he said hes gotta move the hangers on it to match the car as the afterburners off his old 53 plate sti, dont think the downpipes gonna fit though but will let you know what it sounds like when centre sections on.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

yeah thanks a lot

someone else said once u put on an aftermarket exhaust u will get the burble bk...i was only in one with the standard exhaust so plz do let me no mate, thanks
Old 19 Dec 2005, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Curtiz
Good observations m8

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 19 Dec 2005, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
couple of pics of it for ya tho im sure everyone knows what they look like lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...Y06stibNEW.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...Y06stiaNEW.jpg
Old 19 Dec 2005, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

^^ that one is lovely, i really like the blue in it. very clean car
Old 19 Dec 2005, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I did a test drive last Saturday. Lovely car, very powerful, but it just doesn't boost like a 2 litre.

Had the option of a new 2005 with PPP or a 2006. Sorry guys but after the test drive I got the 2005.

The 2006 was a licence looser - too smooth and deceptively quick. At least with a 2 litre you know when you are doing mental speed.

Oh and the price had a bit to do with it too. If I had got the 2006, I'd have had to shelve out another +2k for the PPP when they release it in Jan/Feb.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 10:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philh
I did a test drive last Saturday. Lovely car, very powerful, but it just doesn't boost like a 2 litre.

Had the option of a new 2005 with PPP or a 2006. Sorry guys but after the test drive I got the 2005.

The 2006 was a licence looser - too smooth and deceptively quick. At least with a 2 litre you know when you are doing mental speed.

Oh and the price had a bit to do with it too. If I had got the 2006, I'd have had to shelve out another +2k for the PPP when they release it in Jan/Feb.

fair play to you m8 - you would expect the boost to be smooter - my 99 turbo was a beast, boost kicked in and you felt it - my 04 wrx completly different - boost was so smooth you hardly noticed it.... was kind of expecting people to say this about the lazier 2.5 engine...
Old 20 Dec 2005, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to torrekens
Agree with Phil.

I need to swap our 2003 STi after the winter and tried the 2006.

Conclusion:
- Engine character lost. It only goes fast anymore but not as much fun. Plus I am sure the 2.0 was as fast.
- Interior looks . Plastics look as cheap as before, but now also feel flimsy.
- They really should allow the car to come with a different colour of seats. The WRC Blue is just too teenage-y and now there is even more of it.
- Seats indeed a tad more comfortable but less suportive I found.

No 2006 for me. (my wife is chuffed to bits ).

So alternatives:
- 2006 Spec C (still a great scoob, same cr@p plastics obviously but a much better engine and simple black interior)
- Used WR1.
- Evo 9 FQ340.
- 911 (997) C4 S

Jury still out. The two last ones are greatest drives so far. Maybe not as good in my corner of the woods. Reliability for the Mitsi and practicality for the Porker.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Picked up the 2005 STi PPP on Saturday.

I made the right choice, the car is brilliant. Well it's brilliant upto 4,000 revs cos I've got to run it in.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 04:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Have seen a few new 06 versions - looks nice and quite aggressive. I've yet to try one but the 2.5L engine will be torquier I suspect and not feel so 'on' and 'off' boost which may make it less exciting to drive but probably just as rapid. Horses and courses I suppose but I'm quite happy with my modified WRX - I note Curtis mentions the older box is a bit fragile - mine seems okay but with 325ish bhp I'm told watch out as they can explode/ eat cogs etc.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 06:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

yeah well john i hope ur car engine works great!! really, a lot of hard work and money has gone into it!

my mate said once u start modifing a boxer engine he said its like tuning putty? i honestly have no idea where or not it is true but just thought i would pass on the info. is this true??
Old 10 Jan 2006, 08:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
looks standard doesnt it

Send a message via MSN to pete higham
325 bhp wrx i like that all lot
Old 10 Jan 2006, 08:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

is ur engine still running as it always has?

have u had any problems with it?
Old 15 Feb 2006, 12:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

@ dave - has ur mate got the aftermarket exhaust on yet?
is the scooby burble lurking there??