Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

what power gains would i expect to see?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2005, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

what power gains would i expect to see?

having a 1999 U.K turbo classic which is said to have 215bhp and 214 torque, what average gains would be expected with a full decat and a ECU TEK 3 remap?
what differences would be expected when driving at low, mid and high end revs, gears and speed?
could a remap cause long term bad effects to the engine? such as shorten the life or potentially cause failures?
has anyone on here had this done with a similar model?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2005, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Mr_Wid
Got the same model year car, had a decat and backbox on when i bought it. Added a green panel filter and then went for a remap. 225bhp before the map and 250 bhp after with 260 lbsft torque. Drove a lot better and felt much quicker, but unfortunately the engine let go 2 weeks later due to number 2 piston melting.

Remapping should ideally make your car more reliable with whatever mods you put on to the car as your fueliing etc can be adjusted to suit. Maybe i had a bad map, maybe it was another problem, who knows.

Get a tek3 done, you wont regret it, but my advice would be to look around a few forums, and any tuner with bad feedback or complaints, stay well clear of!
Old 23 Oct 2005, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

The potential of a full decat and remap is good.

The engine is able to produce at least 280 bhp safely. However, numbers aren't important.

Remapping is essential to fully benefit from the hardware upgrades. A good mapper can produce a map that gives you low down torque and good mid-range with acceptable top-end power. However, that's down to them and they all have their methods/practices.

Mr Wid, I'm concerned that you don't know why your engine failed. I consider that to be the highest priority in preventing a recurrence. I'm also confused about your power claim of 225bhp with a full decat, it seems a little low from other cars I have information on.

It makes sense to go with a reputable mapper. I've only heard bad mouthing about one person and I'm sure you won't visit them because of their location.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Mr_Wid
225 was what it came out with on the premap run on the rollers, i thought i was going to be more too to be honest. Ah well.

As far as not knowing what caused the engine failure, again i'm not too concerened, it happened, and to avoid it happening again i replaced anything and everything that may have been the cause with upgraded items. All seems ok now, bar a remap for my bigger turbo. Off to scoobyclinic this time.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

as stated above it is not just about the figures, but how the car is running (a good point). so to say that there could be long term bad effects on engine life would be wrong? and of course, choose a mapper with great care.

i've also read on the ECUTEK website that 99/00MY cars can have 1 of 3 different types of ECUs fitted as standard, this could also explain how some people get more power gains than others, even with the same mods done to he cars.

thanks for replies.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

When I had my UK car I had it remapped to 283 BHP 276fl/lbs drove it on many a track day and sprints. Managed to put 40,000 on the clock before selling it to a local lad. He put another 40,000 on it before writting it off. Reliable and very fast.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Just remembered - '99 = shite MAF sensors!