Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Anybody fitted Prodive suspension to an STi ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2005, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to torrekens
Anybody fitted Prodive suspension to an STi ?

I've been told that fitting the Prodrive spring kit might help me with a handling problem (i.e. the car is very understeered in winter, especially under braking :evil: ).

Mike Wood of Prodrive said the spring kit allows the front to get more grip while the rear should come around easier.

Would lower the car 25mm at the front and 5mm at the back. Would also make the ride a bit smoother.

This all sounds very tempting. :up:

Anybody fitted this type of kit to an STi (03 onwards) and experienced the difference with the normal set-up ?

Many thanks for the advice !
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2005, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I will take you for a little spin when you are in Alderley Edge... assuming my wife isn't giving birth when you visit.
Old 06 Oct 2005, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR1 Bro
I will take you for a little spin when you are in Alderley Edge... assuming my wife isn't giving birth when you visit.
I'll help out :wink:
Old 09 Oct 2005, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
JP
Fresh Scooby

Hi

what tyres you are using?

I just read a test (TM) where Gislaved NF3 got very good results. it was noted that it tend to overstear, I tought maybe it will help reduce some understear.

had NF2 years ago and it was very good for fun.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 07:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
Hi

what tyres you are using?

I just read a test (TM) where Gislaved NF3 got very good results. it was noted that it tend to overstear, I tought maybe it will help reduce some understear.

had NF2 years ago and it was very good for fun.
Thanks for the info !

I use Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4, supposedly one of the best (non-competition) tyres on our roads.

Needs to be said I still run in 225/45/17. This as the Brembo's at the front of the STi do not leave space to mount 16" wheels with narrower and higher tyres.
I also run the Nokians in code T. I saw that the Gislaveds in this size were only going to Q (i.e. 160km/h). This might explain a better grip for the NF3 (it's a softer tyre), but as I tend to still drive pretty fast (sometimes 180km/h or more, even on ice), Q might give me problems.

Which car do you run the Gislaved on ?
Old 14 Oct 2005, 07:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
JP
Fresh Scooby

I ran NF2 on Golf GTI and they where really good for going sideways, they have very good edge for that.

last winter I used good year 500 on my impreza, which is very good in deep snow and very bad on tarmac (on 110km/h it starts to float) and wet snow.

I must get new set for this winter. Micheline is propably very good choice, but as I drive mostly in a city, NF3 is much quieter.

JP
Tallinn
Old 03 Nov 2005, 09:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

They're on since yesterday.

Bit surprising in fact. The springs are quite a bit softer.

That gives a much smoother ride and makes the car more agily. It feels like it's pivoting around it's front outside wheel.

Downside is that you lose the razorsharp reactions on dry surface and some confidence in high speed corners.

Seems to take the twitch out of the car though, which hopefully will be beneficial this winter.
Old 03 Nov 2005, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
JP
Fresh Scooby

sorry, didn´t get

is it a new suspension or tyres?
Old 04 Nov 2005, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
sorry, didn´t get

is it a new suspension or tyres?
I fitted the Prodrive Spring kit. Which changed the behaviour of the car as explained above.

The idea came from Mike Wood at Prodrive. I had asked him if there would be a solution against the chronical understeer in slow situations on ice/snow.
He suggested putting different springs on. As it lowers the car 25mm at the front and 5mm at the rear, it changes the balance and makes it more lively. Which it indeed does.

The springs are also slightly softer than the Japanese ones. Which is not bad as on snow/ice/gravel, you need a softer set-up for better grip.

We had snow last week but it's gone again. Let's see how it works when winter comes really.

(I still run Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4 as winter tyre)