Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Shock absorber problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2005, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to torrekens
Shock absorber problems

I've heard several owners of STi's (2003-2005) have had problems with 'knocking' rear shock absorbers.

Some got replaced under warranty.

Has anybody done this and got any explanation of his dealer on the what's and why's ?

I've also read on a forum that you need to ask to swap them with specific shocks rather than with the same items.

Reason I ask is that my scoob has this problem now rear left AND right :evil: . Plus it starts to behave in a weird way (it's as if there is no suspension anymore at the rear). It goes in for a service this week and I want to get this sorted.

Getting it done here is always tricky as: it's probably the only STi the dealer ever seen, warranty needs to be claimed back from Subaru UK and he's 60 miles from where I live... Plus there is a bit of a language barrier. :shock:

Any advise from other people is also welcome !

Thanks ! :help:

Sandy
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2005, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Young Scooby

This sounds like the struts are sticking inside the damper unit. Try lifting the rear of the car at the rear wheel arch and see if the car sits back down again. If it sticks up then that is your answer.

Should be replaced under warranty if not expired.

Cheers

Terry
Old 28 Sep 2005, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Hi sandy, took mne in for service last year and got told it needed to go back for rear shock replacement as " knocking" :shock: which I wasnt aware of!

Had both replaced under warrenty.

HTH

Buzz
Old 28 Sep 2005, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryb
This sounds like the struts are sticking inside the damper unit. Try lifting the rear of the car at the rear wheel arch and see if the car sits back down again. If it sticks up then that is your answer.

Should be replaced under warranty if not expired.

Cheers

Terry
Thanks !!

:up:

I'll go and try that straight away. I must admit I've had a few times that the car suddenly moves down when coming to a halt. As if the strut is stuck inside the damper.

Keep you posted.

S.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

You're spot on, Terry ! :clap:

Push down, doesn't come back. Lift, doesn't go down... Me thinking there might be a problem here...

Cheerio !
Old 30 Sep 2005, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrekens

Push down, doesn't come back. Lift, doesn't go down... Me thinking there might be a problem here...

Cheerio !
You're welcome mate. Mine has been doing it for a frew months. It's only noticeable at very slow speed - but doesn't hinder me on track at Goodwood/ Nurburgring, etc

I really need to get it sorted but other than the noise and feel when you stop/ start it has no other negative effect. I really want to go the whole hog and get some AST adjustables

Cheers

Terry
Old 30 Sep 2005, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Quote:

Cheerio !
You're welcome mate. Mine has been doing it for a frew months. It's only noticeable at very slow speed - but doesn't hinder me on track at Goodwood/ Nurburgring, etc

I really need to get it sorted but other than the noise and feel when you stop/ start it has no other negative effect. I really want to go the whole hog and get some AST adjustables

Cheers

Terry
Nice ! You often do trackwork ?

I'm a bit sceptical about taking the scoob to the track though as it's mainly a rally car and not really adapted to tracks (understeer...).

I DO love to blast it through forest roads in winter though, 110mph sideways in between snowwalls... :wbounce:
Old 01 Oct 2005, 11:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheerio !

Cheers

Terry
Nice ! You often do trackwork ?

I'm a bit sceptical about taking the scoob to the track though as it's mainly a rally car and not really adapted to tracks (understeer...).

I DO love to blast it through forest roads in winter though, 110mph sideways in between snowwalls... :wbounce:
A bit of track-work every now and then

Check out the info below - enjoy

Taken me a while, but here's a taster of what we got up to on our Stelvio Tour incorporating the Nurburgring.. Enjoy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...io/tbring3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...io/tbring1.jpg

Please right click and save the videos to preserve bandwidth

1. Me at the Ring

2. Day 2 includes driving a disused rally stage

3. The Stelvio Pass and a few others

4. Some proper driving in the Swiss Alps and loads of tunnels

5. MRKs 8:40 lap of the Ring in the wet

Hope you all enjoy

Cheers

Terry
Old 08 Oct 2005, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

They didn't notice anything wrong with the shocks.

But as the knocking is terrible, and they checked everything else, they put in a claim to swap them under warranty anyway.

Will use the opportunity to fit the Prodrive spring kit at the same time.

... and mudflaps...
Old 03 Nov 2005, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Problem solved !

:jump

They replaced the shocks under warranty this week. When they came off, we checked them and the strut could be moved left and right in its housing for a few mm, plus it would cause a knocking sound.

Tried to move struts on the new shocks left and right but didn't move at all :up:

The mechanic assumed some dirt got into the shock absorber. Which wouldn't be surprising looking at the state of the seals.
Old 03 Nov 2005, 10:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Problem solved that's good

Did you remember to fit the Prodrive spring kit ? :wink:

Old 03 Nov 2005, 10:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002pete
Problem solved that's good

Did you remember to fit the Prodrive spring kit ? :wink:
Yes !

I put an update on that too in the other tread ("experiences with STi Prodrive spring kit" or something).

As said, Not as good as i thought as the car loses its very sharp reactions on tarmac. It does however become more controleable and nimble. So should hopefully cure the understeer problem on ice and be more fun this winter !