Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

supercharged m90 impreza gx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2013, 09:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: supercharged m90 impreza gx

thanks "The Pilot"
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2013, 06:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

the 3 pod gauge turned up yesterday I decided not to screw or glue it directly to the dashboard as mentioned in previous posts so I took a standard clock facia panel
IMG_0139.jpg
IMG_0140.jpg
now the footprint of the panel is exactly the same size as the gauge pod but the panel is fitted flush with the dashboard I need this to sit inside the bevelled opening on the dashboard but still incorporate the dash clips and be able to remove it in and out like the standard facia.
so this is how I did it
remove the standard clock out of facia
trim off 7mm all the way around the facia now it fits inside the opening of the gauge pod
then measure exactly the centers horizontally and vertically of the pod then the facia so I now have a true center for the position of the facia inside the pod. I then measured the depth of the bevel in the dash 4mm so now I know the depth the facia must sit inside the guage pod for it to sit centered and flush inside the bevel.
get this wrong by any more than 2mm in either direction or depth and it wont sit square and send gauge pod quint in the opening in the dash and it will not lock into place with the locking tabs fitted into the dash.
IMG_0141.jpg
ok i only get one chance at this, the two pieces are glued together making sure that I stick to all my measurement within 2mm in either direction or depth this took me absolutely bloody ages check adjust, check adjust I did this for god knows how long the glue I use was sikoflex used for glueing artic wagon sides together so when its dry ive no chance of separating them if im wrong

left it overnight to dry then cut away a section in the bottom to let me fit gauges
IMG_0141.jpg
then drilled a 8mm hole in the centre to refit the subaru alarm led
IMG_0142.jpg

so far so good
now the moment of truth did I get all the measurements right ????
its gonna look like crap if I got it wrong

IMG_0143.jpg
IMG_0144.jpg

all that hassle was worth it brilliant fit thank god

so tomorrow going to make a start at running wires for the gauges a far less stressfull job im sure
Old 08 Aug 2013, 09:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

its been a long evening but I finished the wiring loom I decided to go a bit over the top and instead of wiring direct I decided to install a couple of multiplugs to join the new looms to make it easier to take the pod in and out if need be, ive put extra wires in the loom if I decide or need to run anything else in the future.

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

hopefully il get time at the weekend to fully wire everything into the car.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 07:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Might be worfth looking at syvecs, its not cheap, but pat makes custom looms etc cos i;d be surprised if an off the shelf one works.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 10:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks tidgy, il look into that,
ive been a bit busy lately had a bit of a moment in the Scooby was doing 70 mph and thick smoke started started pluming out of every opening of the bonnet and out of the back of the car and then into the car and then the warning light on the dash lit up and the gauge fell like a rock , i just switched engine off and coasted to a standstill. engine bay looked like id just thrown 5 litres of oil all over it.
End result oil pressure sender seal blew throwing roughly 1.5 litres of oil everywhere. this took some time to clean up and its true a little bit of oil goes a long way especially under pressure

ive been all over engine everything is fine so back to the project

so more air means more fuel so ive bought a walbro 255 fuel pump to make sure fueling is not gonna be an issue and im looking for an adjustable fuel pressure regulator now.
Old 23 Feb 2014, 07:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Its been a while and got side tracked with work and Christmas but ive still been moving forward.
So the mot been and gone failed rear diff crossmember so uprated to wrx one with anti roll bar what a difference in handling.
Discs didn't fair any better so with the power increase with the supercharger I decided to uprate them to dimpled and grooved discs all round with mintex pads massive brake response under late and high speed braking.
And to cap it off I got a bargain on a set of sti 17" alloys in black just been refurbed with tyres for 200 quid delivered I couldn't believe it
I couldn't get those naff 15" gx alloys off quick enough.
So after mot I bought a decat welded an extra bung for air fuel gauge lambda and it really brings out that flat four rumble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0216.jpg (63.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by mikeblackett; 29 Mar 2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: photos
Old 29 Mar 2014, 11:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ok guys its complete just the remap to go.

stopping power dimpled and grooved discs all round
IMG_0217.jpg

refurb sti alloys
IMG_0172.jpg

Now for the supercharger
Pulley idler and belt fitted
IMG_0219.jpg

fueling

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator fitted with walbro 255 fuel pump and fuel rail modification to stop leaning out.

the finished project
IMG_0206.jpg
IMG_0222.jpg

The results

All connected up went for a quick run and it certainly didn't disappoint, boost pressures exactly what was expected 7psi with a 1.5 psi loss over intercooler showing 5.5 psi on boost gauge, air fuel gauge still in optimum range but at lower end when in full boost. Bypass valve working well closing fully at wot.
massive increase in torque
0-60 7 seconds
supercharger very quiet due to spinning half speed so still hear flat four rumble

I hope you enjoyed the journey guys I will get some costings of the final build and maybe this will give some of the non turbo guys a few ideas but It is more cost effective to buy a turbo but I just wanted to show that it can be done.
Old 19 Sep 2014, 11:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi guys
Its been a while for various reasons but I thought I would give an update.
The cars still running fine the actual boost is 4.5 psi of boost not the 5psi as stated this was due to an incorrect boost gauge so I do in fact have a parasitic boost loss of .5 psi through the intercooler.

Cost of the build

M90 eaton supercharger with bypass valve 180 (ebay)
eaton rebuild kit 40 (from America through ebay still 40 cheaper from uk ,1 wk to arrive
pulley inc adapter 5 (Mercedes water pump pulley from scrappy)
Throttle body 10 (impreza 2,0 gx from scrappy)
Belt tensioner 15 (ebay)
belt 17 (ebay)
various aluminium pipe (60 ebay)
various silicone hose (30 ebay)
forester intercooler (30 ebay)
angle iron for s/c bracket (20 ebay)
afr (40 ebay )
fuel rail adapter and hoses (40 ebay)
various electrical connectors and wiring (20)

so total build cost for materials just over 500
I did all the fabricating myself but I would estimate that if you could get a friendly welder they could do it for around 300 for the tig and mig welding.

Cost was never the issue for me I just wanted to show and give some inspiration to the non turbo guys that the 2.0 can give good performance and can easily outrun my mates hawkeye impreza 2.0 R .
Old 20 Sep 2014, 12:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I am still within the limit of the standard ecu and fueling and the car is running fine and has done around 5k miles with the supercharger fitted with no problems.

Lets see what else can be squeezed out of this 2.0 lump !

Il keep you posted ive got a pulley made up for 8psi of boost now I know the car's current ecu and fueling cant deal with this amount of boost, ive tried so il keep you posted how I get on.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 08:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

not mega high boost so should be able to fuel ok, have you had the map adjusted to suit?
Old 21 Feb 2015, 08:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi there.
I really like this post, thanks for sharing. I'm going to do the same on my GX but using m62 supercharger. According to your calculations I need 3.2'' pulley to achieve similar boost. Please correct if I'm wrong.
Please update sometimes, how is the scooby doing
Thanks
Old 25 Jul 2015, 11:36 AM   #27 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Cool, let me know how your build is getting on, There will be some variables such as m62 will generate a hotter air intake temp due to having to spin faster to achieve the required airflow you want, also your choice of intercooler.
What kind of speeds did you calc for m62 to run at ?
There will be a degree of parasitic loss depending on system design so boost will be affected but it will be a suck and see as are all projects. Il help you where I can buddy
Good luck

It's been a while since I was last on due to work ect, I installed the aem fic 6 this weekend, car starting ok but there's a software issue so working on that just now