Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

which impreza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Sep 2005, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

which impreza

Greetings everyone, i shall soon be looking for my first impreza turbo and will have a budget of about 10 grand. Which impreza would you guys recomend, although i do want the origional model. Can i pick up a type R for that kind of money? Should I stick to a UK car or go for an import? I know this is all very vague, but any help would be appreciated!!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2005, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Hi m8, would personally stick with a UK model but alot of people would disagree... its a persoanl choice. I like the UK car for warrenty reasons. You could pick up a newage for that kind of money (there abouts).

Insurance should be cheaper for the uk car also. BUT youll get more car for your money on an import.

hope that helps in the first instance.... others should reply soon enough 8)
Old 02 Sep 2005, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
I guess it all depends on what you want to have..

I've recently (about four months ago) bought myself a Type R Import and I've nothing but joy (although hassle at times) with it.

Depending on age, insurance can be a killer (for me even being 25 and 7 years no claims, its a killer!!) but its all down to what YOU want at the end of the day...

Any perferences? Body style, shape, colour, spec's, engine etc?... Bit more info and I'm sure someone on here might be able to recommend you a car down to the last detail

I love my Type R and to be perfectly honest, its THE ONLY model I'd have. 2 door coupe.. Best of the best

Oh, by the way....

Welcome to the site mate
Old 02 Sep 2005, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

well age is an issue, Iím 23 so not that easy to get insured, but i would like to pick up a car with "the bits on it" i.e. brake upgrade, wheels etc, however i was thinking 250bhp would be a good starting point!! I take it from your comments on insurance on a type r, this would be a "no go" area!! Can i ask how much those insurance fascists sting you for on the type r? i would really love a 3 door model, can you only get a type r 3 door for my budget ( 10 grand), or is there anything else out there?? Oh and I would only consider the original shape impreza, because my old man has the new shape and I donít relly like it!! Many thanks rhys
Old 02 Sep 2005, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Well I'm only just 25 and I have to pay out (wait for it) £1900 for my insurance. Now this is mainly down to the modifications I have made to my car, believe it, its not been cheap either

The 3 door model is the only one I would ever have as they are the best looking (as far as Impreza's go) and I'd never have any other model. I cant garrentte this as I wont be having a Jap car for my next car. This is a promise.

Mine Type R cost me £8500, I'd just find out how much the insurance is before you count it out. The other choices would be a P1 and 22B. Either would be rather expensive to buy and even more to insure.

Any other questions, just ask
Old 03 Sep 2005, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
sti-type r all day long id love one(but got 2yrs payin for me uk classic first pmsl )anything else is just 2nd best apart from 22b but big bucks.
Old 03 Sep 2005, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ok, well it looks like i shall be getting a type r then! Have you any tips about them? ie do i buy direct from japan? or go through a uk agent? Is there anything specific to look out for when buying a type r? Will it be ok running on optimax? what kind of money should i be looking at paying for one! the prices seem to range massively! many thanks again
Old 03 Sep 2005, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Send a message via MSN to triplezoney
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyspw
ok, well it looks like i shall be getting a type r then! Have you any tips about them? ie do i buy direct from japan? or go through a uk agent? Is there anything specific to look out for when buying a type r? Will it be ok running on optimax? what kind of money should i be looking at paying for one! the prices seem to range massively! many thanks again
Only thing I would add to this is be careful as some insurance companies wont touch you on a turbo until your one, 25 years old n two, driven a turbo impreza for 12+ months!

At your age, I think u may struggle to find insurance on a Type R, especially at 250 BHP!, .....unless your willing to pay BIG bucks for it!

I'm 25 with 4 years no claims, modded UK RB5 Impreza n they still sting me for nearly £900 a year :cry:
Old 04 Sep 2005, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Insurance is a killer. I get stung for £450 on my Type R....
Old 04 Sep 2005, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Only £450??!! Mine is 4 times that amount and then some!!

I run mine on standard super unleaded and it seems fine. I'll be getting her re-mapped at some point with a downpipe and sport cat It should be fine till then as long as I dont push her to far..
Old 04 Sep 2005, 06:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyspw
got my uk scoobs from here tho they mainly do import scoobys/evos ive never been to a car sales with such an immaculate range of cars presented how they should be, got 6mth warranty thrown in with mine just had a look coz they had a type r in untill recently worth a ring tho they may have one coming in.http://wickedkit.com/
Old 04 Sep 2005, 07:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to sealion127
I'm 25 with 4 years no claims, modded UK RB5 Impreza n they still sting me for nearly £900 a year :cry:[/quote]

dont know how you fellas get these insurance prices...... i'm 36 , live in a nice area 18 years without a claim , uk wrx with mods and the cheapest i could get was £1079.

cant work out why its so different

chris
Old 05 Sep 2005, 01:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

3yrs ncb, 32yrs old, 1own fault accident, uk turbo (classic) £699 fully comp- first yr before accident with full no claims were £550 fully comp
Old 05 Sep 2005, 04:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealion127
cant work out why its so different

chris
I phoned up so many insurance companies it was stupid, but I managed to get a fairly good price in the end.. I can only suggest we start a 'sticky' thread for the prices for insurance, so everyone can go through all the phone numbers and so on to see if they can get a decent quote.
Old 05 Sep 2005, 08:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

My P1 is £1000 and im 23 with 5 years no claims