Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

myths about cone filters/induction kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2005, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
myths about cone filters/induction kits

just thought i`d mention this as it sort of goes against everything you will be told on most scooby forums,ive now had a green induction kit on my my00 for 14,000 miles without maf trouble now whereas i probably wouldnt recommend the k+n because theyre more heavily oiled (hence choice of green) think its fair to say dont be as scared of fitting a induction kit as people can be misleading, maf`s pack up regardless-a mates packed up around 43,000miles on std airbox,std filter on his my99 mines approaching this mileage so will be changing it soon as i believe it to be the original one. (also means coz theres no airbox in the way i can change plugs in half an hour-bonus lol)
Anyone had an induction kit on their scooby on here longer than me without any probs???
Old 29 Aug 2005, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Two things seem to contribute to MAF failure when using cones, Oil contamination as you said and excessive vibration when not supported properly.
I suspect there are many people out there that have had no problems because they have used a type that need little oil to help filtration and are supported correctly

Glad to here of your experience, Just might invest in one sometime as it does keep crossing my mind

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2005, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Mr_Wid
I was thinking of getting one of the blitz stainless steel kits, they're just so expensive though! Do stainless filters use oil?
Old 31 Aug 2005, 06:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

no mate tho some people think the stainless ones dont filter air well enough-it was yours by the way that is mentioned above-(when lee had it) had maf failure on std airbox subaru themselves didnt spot maf first time hence the 2nd rebuild-tho didnt cost lee owt thankfully.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Agree completely with you Dave.

Subaru have spent time and money getting the intake to how they think it should be then we come along and chuck any old thing on it.
If you simulate the air intake by having an induction kit fitted that has the same properties of filtration as the original (not heavy oiled filter cones) bracket it down well so as its not waving around and vibrating. What is the differance to the MAF. None. The MAF is very poor on the MY99 models and pop out for a passtime even when the car is STD.

At PowerEngineering a few of the lads on a RR day had 230-250 bhp cars and changed filters and swapped induction kits one car even ran with no filter. We found next to no differance in bhp or torque. When the high bhp cars ran we did find a differance the std airbox could not supply enough air so induction kits were needed. (This was 300-350 bhp cars)
Old 31 Aug 2005, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

thats basically the same as what i got told by olly at rcms (car gets serviced there) told me they respond well to being remapped with ind kit on aswell -already had the kit on when i went by the way he werent trying to sell me one lol
Old 31 Aug 2005, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Louise_Rat
we tried 3 different air filters only one that doesnt make our maf go wrong is the standard one ops:
Old 13 May 2009, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: myths about cone filters/induction kits

got my induction kit , i ordered it from america only cost 27 that included postage , but when i bolt it on it sits on top of abs unit so had to remove it any solutions , can i re route it or do i need a mushroom shape filter .
Old 13 May 2009, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

27 quid with postage!

I dont think it'll be up to much at that price mate.
Old 14 May 2009, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Guessing its either the wrong one for your specific impreza or a universal one-you can buy samco (or other silicon hose bends) to route it out the way if ya know the neck diameter,if the diameters different filter end to maf pipe can also get reducers so one end`s narrower diameter than other-just remember the filter end will still need a solid bit of pipe to clamp round or it`l just squeeze the silicon pipe up.

put a pic up of how it sits an we`ll try an advise your best solution.
Old 14 May 2009, 08:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

it has all the right adaptors the connect to maf but this filter is for non abs model , a friend told me that its madness to fit a filter cause it will make car run to lean and do damage thank you for ur help ukdave . what is the black box that sits just b4 the maf at back of engine above turbo
Old 14 May 2009, 10:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Wont make it run lean it`l flow more air not push more in an the airs metered by the maf etc so fuel will be altered accordingly-what he may have mentioned is if you run a heavily oiled filter it could destroy your maf sensor(oil vapour from filter gets on maf element and gives incorrect signal to ecu hence the fuelling goes tits up-but to be fair if your filters not heavily oiled it should be fine)

There are some ppl that say under bonnet temps dont do them any favours(cold air is better for the engine)but to be honest i dont run the undertray on mine so theres plenty of air about when its running-ive run one without fault from 26,000miles to 60,000 put it that way.

Thing that kills scoobys running top mounts is prolonged periods over 100mph as they suffer from det as induction temps rise-the scoops relatively ineffective over these speeds if for a decent distance.
Old 15 May 2009, 01:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Thing that kills scoobys running top mounts is prolonged periods over 100mph as they suffer from det as induction temps rise-the scoops relatively ineffective over these speeds if for a decent distance.
suffer from detonation Dave is it
Old 15 May 2009, 07:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

new age can have afr issues after a cold air feeed is fitted.

personaly i'd only go to a cone filter on a classic if you have to change the air intake system for a front mount, which is y i have one lol
Old 15 May 2009, 04:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
new age can have afr issues after a cold air feeed is fitted.
Reason being??