Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

What turbo to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2012, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

What turbo to buy?

Hi guys,

Hope you all well, and Keith get well soon bud, the guys onsite mentioned you were off.

Right im in the process of fitting equal headers, new o2 and turbo on my 95 import wrx.

Basically this year holds big plans for this car, i have on the car atm the standard td04 original by the looks, i removed from my RA a vf23 turbo which i understand is a good all rounder ie in town etc, however i want more power lol. Basically the upgrades due this year which i have all sat waiting to fit are gems ecu, 800cc injectors, complete exhaust system from turbo back, fmic plus the headers and turbo. Ive been looking at td05h 20g turbos and also trying to find a vf30 as i understand this is also a good all rounder. My first map once all items are on the car will be 1 bar to play it safe.

Oh i have on the car atm a walbro 255. Other additions will include oil cooling system along with catch can which i also have waiting to go on.

Could you guys recommend the best turbo as ive heard that the 05h may be too powerful for my gearbox, i have a 95 sti box and diff to go in plus exedy racing clutch, but personally i think the budget will be stretched this year to fit these.

Any help greatly welcomed.

Regards

Gareth
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2012, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: What turbo to buy?

With all those mods you might need to think about forged internals fella. A 20g is a 400hp turbo
Old 17 May 2012, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

With those sort of figures I'd be lookin a 6 speeder too. It's all gonna get very expensive
Old 17 May 2012, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Hi im forging a closed engine but dont expect to have this completed until next yr. Currently using standard jdm wrx engine until done. I.was considering buying a bigger turbo now and using it with.wrx engine but max 1 bar boost then once forged engine is finished getting Si (jgm) to program 1.3 bar and 1.5 bar with sufficient mods. Tbh reason was asking about turbo is im getting a bit bored with the stock one and as we all know labour costs arnt cheap i.was toying up whether to fit the vf23 and 440cc injectors now with headers and then get a bigger turbo for once engine is finished. This seems like better option by sounds, just looking for a bit of guidance really
Old 17 May 2012, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

I'd go the vf23 in the mean time. No point in wrecking a perfectly good engine by overdoing.

If it was me I'd stick with what I have and concentrate on the forged build with the big turbo. No money down the drain between times then....
Old 17 May 2012, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Thats great advice, the money i wld of spent on a new turbo i can put to Si for a good map session
Old 18 May 2012, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

if your building a forged closed deck, then i'd wait. any turbo you fit now will have to be held way back to prevent engine going caboom so be laggy, or you'll end up buying another turbo down the line. well built forged closed deck will easily go 450+ so easily smash youe old engine and gearbox to bits.

Personal i'd sell of the gems and get a syvecs, what do gems spell backawards?

SC series will be best bet as far as turbo's go, speak to clinic to find out best one to suit your needs, also make sure you have right supporting mods or it wont work right, these are as critical as the main components.
Old 18 May 2012, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Shows what little i know i thought syvecs was 2001 onwards, didnt realise they did them for early classics. Yeah ill finish the build before splashing out on a new turbo me thinks.
Old 18 May 2012, 12:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

lol, pat can make custom looms so pretty much any car can be run on one