Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Buying Help required

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2012, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Buying Help required

Im sure this has been asked before but am looking to buy an 05 or 06 WRX, would like a prodrive but have been tempted by the early 2.5 WRX.

Question is which engine is better, I've seen a few 2.5's advertised with noisey engines. is the 2.0 a safer bet?

and is the prodrive worth going for. seem a bit harder to come by so may have to be patient.

Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2012, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: Buying Help required

2.0 is reputedly a stronger engine. Watch the tax bracket for some 06 cars - a major hike! Prodrive is nice to have but a remapped and decatted wrx will out perform any produce model.

If you can, get an sti. Lots and lots of upgrades and like me you might slightly regret just going a wrx.....
Old 14 Apr 2012, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for that, The STI may be a bit out of budget. main use is for company mileage and to have a bit of fun so WRX would probably be plenty fast enough.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 05:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

They are rated about the same but what is the difference?

Reliability wise they both Subaru.

If we taking both as stock cars the 2.0 wrx is not a bad motor and itís a lot cheaper and easy to get the bits much cheaper insurance as well. You can still get plenty of power with a few simple mods and remap and still have a reliable car.
The difference in the 2.5 wrx is it gives you a little more torque but it is barely noticeable once you start doing mods it becomes increasingly noticeable but its better on top end a lot more smoother as a single avcs helps get a faster spool on the turbo. But then again a big difference on the price aswell.
These both models have shimless buckets on the valve train 05 and 06 where the early models come with shims over buckets.

I would go with what i can afford easily early or late models they both good.
and to increase the power ppp rather then getting this don from the dealers and paying just under £2000 for a certificate of extra 50HP all it is a decat pip back box induction element in the air filter box short shifter and a remap it wonít cost you silly money if you look in the right place. And will give you better fuel economy.

Hope this helps good luck

FROM WORKS THE REAL DEAL.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the info, just keeping an eye out on what comes up locally. trying to find one with lowish miles as I do a fair few miles a year.

Dont fancy the car tax on the later 2006 2.5's so may well look for an early one.

Thanks Again.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I have found a 2006 2.5 WRX later shape with just under 70k on the clock, 2 owner and service history.

I have read Head Gaskets and bottom end knocking can be a problem but not sure on which models that relates to.

anything in particular I should worry about on a 2.5

thanks
Old 18 Apr 2012, 01:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

just have a look in the service book what was the last time the timing belt was changed and if you not doing any big upgrades i don't think you will have any problems with the heads or the bottom end. as long as it gets a regular oil and filter change you be ok.

am building couple of heads on one but this was an x police 2.5 wrx car missing really badly wont go over 2500 revs they have them mapped i thought every thing was fried up on it but come to know its been down 3 different garages and they couldn't finger it out. its had new head gaskets on it because one of the garages thought its blown the head gasket. but it still don the same thing missing badly.

they got fed up of it so i bought it from them don a compression check and a down leak test 6 exhaust valves are burnt heads are fine what caused it was the shimless buckets which had worn down with abuse and shut the gaps of between the cam and the shimless buckets valves started sticking and then leaking compression out and eventually burnt out.

the main different in the 2.5 is the it has an single avcs and shmless buckets theres advantages and disadvantages in every model.

the shimless buckets in the 2.5 wrx and in some of the early 2.0 wrx wont pop out at high RPM because there no shims over them.

some of the early models before 03 which have shims over buckets will pop the shim out of the bucket if they worn to much at high RPM.

is it coming in at a good price.

Old 19 Apr 2012, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the info, the 06 is coming in at £6k two owner, may well have to pay it a visit.

I have another 06 2.5 going for less than £4k close to me but the advert says the Engine is Noisey, not sure whats wrong with it exactly but the picture shows an induction kit and some other bling so may have been well and truly thrashed.

thanks again
Old 19 Apr 2012, 11:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by moblies View Post
Thanks for the info, the 06 is coming in at £6k two owner, may well have to pay it a visit.

I have another 06 2.5 going for less than £4k close to me but the advert says the Engine is Noisey, not sure whats wrong with it exactly but the picture shows an induction kit and some other bling so may have been well and truly thrashed.

thanks again
Find a nice clean standard car, you are less likely to encounter issues and you can choose what mods you want.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 02:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

don't bother with the 4000 one the bottom end is probably knocking due to no oil change going to end up costing around the same price that you can pick up one on the road.

the engine on a good day will set you back around £1500 and then getting it fitted and your still not sure how good it is what it been through and how long its been out of the ca am

have a look around if you don't get any joy and your not in a rush mine will be up for sale am building a 56 plate hawk eye 2.5 WRX new timing belt skimmed heads new head gasket set new valves new shimless buckets all inlet and outlet gaskets changed up to the turbo cam seal valve seals rocker cover gaskets every thing new.

8000 on the clock i have put in a request for the service history. hpi clear x police car am not sure if the ecu is still chipped but will find out after a few weeks once its on the road.