Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Fuel, do's and dont's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2012, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Exclamation Fuel, do's and dont's

Thought this might help folks with all the problems getting fuel from time to time, and answer some other general queries.

1. Always stick with same fuel when you can. momentum and vpower are different and if mapped for one or the other it can be an issue.

2. 99 is by far the best fuel to run a turbo'd scoob on.

3. If you have your car mapped, get it mapped on the fuel you normaly use, it will be setup for that fuel, 95, 97, or 99 doesn't mater if its mapped for it.

4. 99 ron will get better results after mapping compared to 95 (eg typical 99 ron in a decated, remaped bugeye sti 330bhp, 95 ron with same mods 305bhp)

5. Try to keep a bottle of octaine booster in yoru car for emergency use, however if you have to use it assume fuel is lower ron than ideal so dont push it hard.

6. If you have to put lower ron fuel in your car drive it like miss daisy, keep it below 2500rpm and keep it off the turbo, it will det at higher boost levels which can destroy your engine without warning and without time for you to back off.

7. if you have had to put lower ron fuel in then make sure the tank is as empty as possible before you fill it back up with the good stuff, maybe even let a second tank run through the system to allow any of the old fuel to be used up. (in some cases some people eactualy drain the tank out before refilling it)
Old 10 Apr 2012, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Re: Fuel, do's and dont's

when i got my 1st scooby turbo i just bought the car did 150miles goin back home and the big end berings went had to put a new engine in it. i used normal unleaded fuel and tht what blew the bearings....
Old 13 Apr 2012, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Great advise mate.... i use momentum in mine, as its the close to my house, never had a prob with it dispite fellas saying "FECK USING THAT" used some of sainsburys own stuff the other day, and its screwed my IDCV. would if i could always use V-power get more to the gallon on that stuff im sure of it and the car boost like a train. so what advise would you give for a JAP import as i think im right in saying they are set to use 100ron
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2012, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

i herd v-power and mometum are almost the same. but i was at bp last night and was wondering asanone else used ultimate from bp?
Old 14 Apr 2012, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

i have been doing some research on my above post whats the diffrance and conclusion is... tesco momentum fuel out perfourmes shell v.power. here is a link that test tesco momentum shell and bp 102 fuel... this will stun a few people...
Thorney Motorsport - Fuel Test Results Update
Old 19 Apr 2012, 02:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Unhappy Re: Fuel, do's and dont's

Please forgive the ignorance, im a newbie. I need advice. I'm 17, a relatively new driver and i need to know what to buy. I'm getting an impreza but dont know what to buy, can you run a stock WRX impreza on regular umleaded fuel or will i run into problems? Would I be better off not buying a WRX and just upgrading a lower level impreza? One of my worries is that i cant afford premium fuel all the time. Please help? Thank you.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 08:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

You need to run it on high octane unleaded, if you don't think you can afford super then don't buy an impreza wrx. Not a lot of point spending cash on a non turbo as not huge gains can be made in performance. I'd be surprised if you could insure an impreza wrx or a modified non turbo at 17.
Not trying to be negative but there just the facts
Old 19 Apr 2012, 04:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi guys just an enquiry to your thread I have a non turbo sport and only getting 300 mile out of one tank I'm using normal unleaded would that be my problem or would it be an engine problem.
Many thanks Bucky
Old 19 Apr 2012, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyE12B View Post
Hi guys just an enquiry to your thread I have a non turbo sport and only getting 300 mile out of one tank I'm using normal unleaded would that be my problem or would it be an engine problem.
Many thanks Bucky
It should say inside your fuel flap what octane fuel to use but I'd suspect that a non turbo should be running on 95. I'd say a good service may help but 300 to a tank in an awd car isnt the worst
Old 19 Apr 2012, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks
Old 20 Apr 2012, 03:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

that means am doing pretty good getting 310 315 to the tank with v.power its got the pro drive pack on 2002 wrx running 265hp mapped by subaru. it was mapped on v. power fuel.

good post it really makes sense now because i have used fuel at times when shell is dry no v.power from other stations and i never got the same millage and the car seemed to hold back on acceleration.

the other thing i have noticed my car was giving me worse millage before having the PPP installed from Subaru. i thought it might drink a little extra but got alot better millage.

FROM WORKS THE REAL DEAL.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamby2k12 View Post
i have been doing some research on my above post whats the diffrance and conclusion is... tesco momentum fuel out perfourmes shell v.power. here is a link that test tesco momentum shell and bp 102 fuel... this will stun a few people...
Thorney Motorsport - Fuel Test Results Update

Tbh i;ve never put much stock in what they have said about vpoower vs mementum. when you speak to mappers it seems to be very dependant on car itself, if mapped for one or the other it can not like the oposing one, then some prefer one fuel to another. its all very confusing lol
Old 23 Apr 2012, 01:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I know she'll have 10yrs over tesco an Bp but I Relli Relli can't get my head road the differences ano diffrent octaine levels. But it's petrol lol what's gonna happen when we run out of v-power an momentum when we still have scoobies??? We all gonna have to get remaps mega engine mods... ano they will have all future cars but what if we Wonna stick to what we got?? Water octaine lol really dunno.??? Confusing a?
Old 15 May 2012, 10:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

bloody fuel bain of my life... OKKKKKKKKKK just bought a new scoobie. 02 bug....

its a got a PPP fitted and the certificate says "Your vehicle will run safe on 95 RON premium unleaded but you may not benefit from the full performance gains when using this fuel. we recommend you continue to use 97 RON Super unleaded.

So does that mean i can run it on 95 with out the engine blowing up ??? got a JDM scoob to and i know that MAX RON or nothing because it could damage heads....
Old 15 May 2012, 11:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

It will run on 95 but no high expectation in performance i made a mistake once never again it like some one putting there hand on your mouth and telling you to fight.

i never really checked whats on the certificate as mine was don from dealers as well but i do no i was running it on v.power when it was mapped.

the car was like a feather with the right fuel and more aggressive.

FROM WORKS THE REAL DEAL.