Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

gritty clutch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2011, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Question gritty clutch

Hi guys,

Since my new clutch got fitted (about 200 miles ago) Iíve noticed something slightly odd.

If the car is in gear, and clutch pedal is fully pressed in, there is a slight gritty / crunchy sensation through the pedal. Itís there for a second then gone again then there again etc. Like something is brushing up against it. Itís very slight, only happens in-gear with clutch pressed, but not in neutral with clutch pressed.

There is no noise from it, only a feeling in the pedal.

The car seems to drive ok, but I'm just worried something may else may be on the way out.
Anyone know what causes this ?

Thanks,
David
Old 21 Nov 2011, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: gritty clutch

you spoke to whoever fitted the clutch? i;d g back to them and ask the question first.
Old 21 Nov 2011, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

It was Hypertech in Falkirk who fitted it. At the same time they replaced the head gasket. I have tried to contact them a week ago, and then again today, but I have found they are pretty slow in responding.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

bummer, i'd just keep trying them then. or even pop down and see them
Old 24 Nov 2011, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

after speaking to a local garage, they suggest it could be the clutch release bearing.
I contacted Exedy but they are somewhat unhelpful, saying they don't think it's the clutch that is the problem!

As I purchased the clutch myself and had it fitted by a garage, the garage aren't responsible for handling the warranty claim on the clutch if that is the problem.

Any advice on how i should proceed with this one ? without costing a fortune !

David
Old 25 Nov 2011, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
after speaking to a local garage, they suggest it could be the clutch release bearing.
I contacted Exedy but they are somewhat unhelpful, saying they don't think it's the clutch that is the problem!

As I purchased the clutch myself and had it fitted by a garage, the garage aren't responsible for handling the warranty claim on the clutch if that is the problem.

Any advice on how i should proceed with this one ? without costing a fortune !

David

Only way is prob to get it taken out for a looksee at your cost. I think your gonna be out of pocket unless you can prove it was fitted incorrectly or a manufacturing fault, which is very rarley provable in either case. either way your gonna be arguing with the fitters or exedy. Normaly abortive costs would come out of the garages pocket even if it was a manufacture fault or fitting fault so wouldn't be your concern.

Afraid its the risk you take by buying parts and getting them fitted by someone else

Last edited by Tidgy; 25 Nov 2011 at 01:23 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2011, 10:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Ok - if it is the clutch release bearing, and I just leave it as is... will it cause any damage ?
I could probably live with the gritty feeling for a short time. I'm thinking about getting rid of the car next year anyway
Old 26 Nov 2011, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

you've only done 200 or so miles,it needs time to bed in,maybe give it a few hard launches ..
Old 29 Nov 2011, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

...don't think that's a good idea! I've been driving it very gently since the new clutch was fitted to make sure I don't break anything.

I managed to get a hold of Hypertech and am taking my car in after work today for them to take a look.
I've spoken to a few other garages and they seem to agree that it's likely to be the clutch release bearing - perhaps incorrectly fitted.

I'll update after the visit to Hypertech.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Well, took the car back to Hypertech for evaluation.

However, the problem temporarily disappeared on the way over there, didn't happen at all while they were testing it, then re-appeared about 20 miles back on the way home!
I spent some time discussing it with them and they say it shouldn't be causing any lasting damage. It could be the release bearing, but can't be sure without stripping the clutch out (at my expense).
They are going to speak to Exedy for me though.

So I'm a little more re-assured that it's nothing major, but problem is still there (on and off!)
Old 04 Dec 2011, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
I've spoken to a few other garages and they seem to agree that it's likely to be the clutch release bearing - perhaps incorrectly fitted.

I'll update after the visit to Hypertech.
As Ed said could just need time to break in, if the problem didnt go away after 1000miles Id prob get an independent garage to take out the box and look over the work from last garage and if they was a problem of the release bearing incorrectly fitted Id send the garage that done the work first day a solicitors letter might get some satisfaction from them bit extreme and maybe OTT but thats an option keep us updated