Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

need new head gasket ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2011, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Question need new head gasket ?

Hi all,

i had my 06 STi in for its 50k service today at Hypertech in Falkirk.
50k replaces timing belt so its a fairly big service.

shortly after leaving it they called me and said they spotted oil in the rad reservoir. they suspect it will be the cylinder head gasket - so i have left the car with them to test further.

my question is what should i expect to pay to have the head gasket replaced, bearing in mind they will be doing the cambelt at the same time.
they are charging me 410 for timing belt inc fitting. + 140 for the service itself.

when i spoke to him he said the last person that got head gasket done his bill came to 3k !! but he did say he was uprating a lot of the components + rad etc at the same time - so hopefully will be nowhere near this cost.

any info would be appreciated.

thanks
David
Old 13 Aug 2011, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: need new head gasket ?

I'd say 700 - 1000 should sort it
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2011, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
my question is what should i expect to pay to have the head gasket replaced
Hi David, sorry i don't know. You could ask alyn at AS Performance, he is a .org member.

Link: AS Performance

Old 16 Aug 2011, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I've been quoted just under 1400, but that includes the timing belt kit and fitting.
So around 900 for the head gasket work.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I would change the belt and kit and water pump the same time imo
Old 16 Aug 2011, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

yep - from what they tell me this price is including timing belt kit, water pump, both head gaskets, and head bolts.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

now they have the engine out - i've been told i need a new clutch + spigot bearing.

anyone have any suggestions re which clutch to put in ?
i want to keep costs down.

shouldn't really be additional labour costs now that the engine is out anyway - but what clutch to go for ?

thanks!
Old 17 Aug 2011, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Hi David,best bet for a clutch would be an exedy,i've had a quick blast around the net and found 2 exedy organic clutches on offer,i run one in mine as well,gives you a very light peddal

links :- AZTEC PERFORMANCE ONLINE STORE - WHOLESALE PRICES DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC - Clutches & Lightweight Flywheels :: Subaru Impreza :: Exedy 240mm Organic Clutch Kit - 6 Speed Impreza Turbo STi (Blue Box - ANTI-JUDDER)

AZTEC PERFORMANCE ONLINE STORE - WHOLESALE PRICES DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC - Clutches & Lightweight Flywheels :: Subaru Impreza :: Exedy Uprated Organic Racing Clutch Kit - Pink Box - Anti-Judder - 6 Speed (up to and including hawkeye)

got a feeling the latter one will be a bit of an overkill in the car unless your going to track it..
Old 17 Aug 2011, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

thanks for the info
Old 17 Aug 2011, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

whats that one like to drive with ? what difference over standard
Old 17 Aug 2011, 11:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

if your doing the headgasket its well worth getting the crank bearings done as well cos its 3/4 stripped already. although seems to depend on who you ask as far as that goes, but i know what i'd do.

when they geasket goes it can put pressure on the crank berings and they have a nasty habit of failing after 1000miles of the new ones being put on. i think your prob talking 1500 all in including vat and labour.

personaly i'd use it as reason to throw some upgrades at it, pistons rods etc and you should be good for 450bhp then.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 02:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
whats that one like to drive with ? what difference over standard
gives you a very light pedal,smooth acceleration and good for full throttle launches(not done many of them,only 6k launches)all round it changed the car and the way i drive
Old 17 Aug 2011, 02:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I ordered the one you recommended from the first link - it was 100 cheaper than what the garage had quoted me for another standard clutch.

I'm really hoping nothing else needs done.
Tidgy; I'd like to use the excuse to do some upgrades! but I wasn't expecting this expense and we have our first baby on the way in a couple of months so I really need to watch the pennies.

I'm lucky the wife's letting me keep the car (and the bike) let alone spending 's on it !!

David
Old 30 Aug 2011, 11:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Ok - just picked the car up at the weekend.

It was in for 2 weeks getting the work done.
In summary, it's had a new timing belt, new clutch, new head gaskets, bolts, water pump, and various other related bits n pieces.

I am happy with the way the car is running now, and the clutch does feel a bit lighter and definitely more bitey.

The garage it went to was Hypertech, in Bonnybridge - who I've used consistently for all my subaru mods & services since the main dealer warranty ran out.
I've had nothing but praise for them so far.

Here is my review of Hypertech though for this project;

Car felt to be running fine before hand.
Went in for service, and told head gasket failure.

Initial costs given were "1360 to fix head gaskets and fit timing belt"
When I arrived to pick car up they had made a mistake with the pricing and the total cost jumped to 1600. An increase of almost 250.

I had explicitly asked for all old parts (especially head gaskets) to be kept so I could have a look at them. When I arrived I was told they just had a clean up that morning and now they can't find my old gaskets.
They did keep the old clutch and it did look pretty worn.

I'm wondering if the black sludge in the rad reservoir could have been something else.

Anywho, my wallet is now 2k lighter and the car runs like it did before, but with a new clutch.

David
Old 30 Aug 2011, 02:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Car felt to be running fine before hand.
Went in for service, and told head gasket failure.
Thats what Im confused about any running issues at all? lack in power any sign of the HG going whats so ever?

Quote:

I had explicitly asked for all old parts (especially head gaskets) to be kept so I could have a look at them. When I arrived I was told they just had a clean up that morning and now they can't find my old gaskets.
They did keep the old clutch and it did look pretty worn.
I'm wondering if the black sludge in the rad reservoir could have been something else..
Had been in the trade for a while but out of it now and only do the odd foxers and look after my own sti and fix cars now and again but been a mechanic in a garage you get to hear a lot of stories from other mechanics and of course the con men mechanics, like to think their are more good garages than bad out their but of the bad heard some stories of replacing parts that didnt need replacing and so on, not saying this is the case with your car but sometimes always worth a 2nd opinion from another garage to see what they think of it and what you said by saying you didnt notice anything before hand bit strange sometimes then you have to give people the benefit of the doubt cause it might have been genuine like to think it was when they told ya the HG needs to be replaced and especially your a loyal customer so they proberbly genuine about it it would get ya thinking doh

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 30 Aug 2011 at 03:04 PM.