Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

New to forum and low boost!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2011, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

New to forum and low boost!

Hi there - new to this forum and looking for some advice. I have a 2003 WRX, pretty standard under the bonnet. Have had the car from new almost! Got 100k on the clock. After a trip down the motorway at a reasonable pace or long trip, park car get a coffee, half and hour later rejoin motorway - only 0.5 - 0.6 bar boost and car feels down on power (normally 1.2). This will last for about 30 mins, then the boost and performance will come back. I have always put this down to heat soak, but is there something else more serious I should consider or other things I can check? Bearing in mind the mileage. Uses no more oil than before, not smoky either. Any help or guidance much appreciated.
Thanks
Tim
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2011, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: New to forum and low boost!

Welcome to .org mate. Hope someone can offer some advice, not come across that before.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by monogfx View Post
Hi there - new to this forum and looking for some advice. I have a 2003 WRX, pretty standard under the bonnet. Have had the car from new almost! Got 100k on the clock. After a trip down the motorway at a reasonable pace or long trip, park car get a coffee, half and hour later rejoin motorway - only 0.5 - 0.6 bar boost and car feels down on power (normally 1.2). This will last for about 30 mins, then the boost and performance will come back. I have always put this down to heat soak, but is there something else more serious I should consider or other things I can check? Bearing in mind the mileage. Uses no more oil than before, not smoky either. Any help or guidance much appreciated.
Thanks
Tim
Welcome n enjoy

it does sound like heat soak,have you still got the housing on the turbo??
i asume it's been mapped due to the boost pressure your running,standard motor will be iro 0.9 bar...
Old 12 Aug 2011, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the welcome. Not been remapped as far as I know. Perhaps my boost gauge is a bit enthusiastic and perhaps I need to get that checked but at least it does tell me that the boost is lower (even if not accurate!). Heat shield is there too. I have a waterspray kit but never fitted it - worth a go?
Thanks again T
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2011, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

may be worth cleaning the boost pipes etc,could be some crud lodged somewhere,if you can plumb in the IC spray then do it,will aid the heat sink problems..