Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

My new bits... and a big thank you to Foresters!! (Again!!)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2005, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
My new bits... and a big thank you to Foresters!! (Again!!)

Well, asking for opinions on a few things more than anything...

With the gearing of my 6th gear now, I'm roughly at 75mph at 3k rpm's, I know I can do 100mph at 4k... Is that right? Buzz is that near to yours mate?

Brakes... Umm.. little unimpressed really to be honest as they dont seem to be all that powerful at the moment. But as you can see in the pic the pads doesnt seem to be touching the whole disc, is that normal for new disc's/pads? I take it they might need a bit of time to bed in??

The wheels are bigger than I thought.. 225/40/18's.. I got the size I wanted so I cant complain The only query I have is whilst driving, should the steering wheel shake (but only on certain surfaces) as at times its steady as anything. Ivan had to put on spacers for the wheels so that the Brembo's would fit..

The exhaust Well, I dont think a video or sound file would do it justice to be honest.. Its an awesome note and I love it I think it might be a little noisy, but to be honest I just turn up the stereo It really does sound great at higher rev's.. Love it

I got asked whether or not it was a P1 when I was picking it up.. A gent came in with a 'bug eyed model' and asked.. didnt really tell him much Secret at the moment

Ivan has managed to do the impossible with the parts I wanted. He is so good at what he does he needs a pat on the back !! Said to him, I'll be giving you a call when I want the next lot done He was trying to walk away!!
I cant thank Julie, Ivan and Shaun at Foresters enough for all that they have done I would certainly recommend them to anyone that wanted ANY type of work done.. They are great at what they do

Hopefully if it gets into Max Power, I'll be singing their praises Top notch work Any questions, please ask away, I'll try to answer them!!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2005, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to mr freeze
well done phil , just to answer a couple of questions mate ..........

1. take your time with the brakes & let them bed in

2. NO there should be no stearing wheel shake ..

3. the speeds in gears sounds about right mate .

one last thing though , why didn't you go for 35 profile ????
Old 07 Aug 2005, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
The wheels came with those tyres, as I mentioned to Ivan I thought they would be 215/35/18's but they are slightly bigger...

With regards to this wheel shake then mate, what could that be down to? It's the same for my Dad's MR2.. Along certain roads its fine, others it just shakes like mad! Is the tracking or anything out? I've had the camber and so setup properly.. Would you like me to show you the results? Would that help?

I take it the brakes will just get better? They are only soild disc's, should I have had grooved or drilled disc's instead? Was hoping for grooved to be honest...
Old 07 Aug 2005, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

no mate i thought you'd of got 225 * 35 's

Did you get your geometry done ????? if not it needs doing asap if you dont you could see un-even wear on your nice expensive tyres.That is more than likley the cause of the wheel shake :wink:

The brakes will only get better , i take it you mean the back disc's are solid phil :? as brembo fronts are vented ................ 8)
Old 07 Aug 2005, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

No mate I got 225/40/18's!! I had the geometry done.. Ivan showed me the print out!! :? :? :?

Sorry, I got vented at the front but they arent grooved or drilled.. I thought they'd be grooved at least!! I have vented at the rears too mate
Old 07 Aug 2005, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

vented rears as well , 8) well done mate cant wait to see it in a couple of weeks ....... 8) 8)
Old 07 Aug 2005, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

I hope you will like it mate!! So much has been done and so much time has been put on/into it, its unreal

Foresters really do do a great job I'd recommend them to anyone
Old 07 Aug 2005, 08:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Hi phil,

Gearing sounds similar to mine mate.

Brakes, ok the pads are chamffered, so they have a lead in/out so no they will not be in contact all the way, tye chamfer is quite long mate :wink:

What pads you got ? just put ebc red stuff ceramics on mine over the weekend :shock: boy are they good, now have the abs hammering on when applied really hard!, brembo oem pads were poo!
Was told that drilled and grooved actually reduce braking effect ! am on solid oem discs.
Not sure about the steering wheel shake, dond sound good to me are they balanced right?

Buzz
Old 07 Aug 2005, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

I would assume so mate as they came from Subaru!! I'm going to ask Ivan about a few of the things I'm unsure about as he said himself, he's only a phone call away....

I'm unsure what pads I have on there mate... I have had bad experiences with EBC so I dont touch them.. I'm told the Ferrodo 2500 (is that right???) are good pads...

Can always get the brother in law to check them over for me.. Tyre fixer etc Oh also if and when the tyres go, should I replace them with 35 profiles over the 40's I have at the moment?
Old 07 Aug 2005, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Ebc used to be poor, but now have new owners and have improved greatly :wink:

35's me thinks

Buzz
Old 07 Aug 2005, 08:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Cheers Buzz for the advice I'll see if there's alot in it for price!! Oh, would I have to get things re-alined or should they be ok? Might get balancing done tho..

Although its a bit weird to me in that its only on certain road surfaces... Why is that? Dad has the same thing as well.. Reckon's it cos of the size of the tyres??? :cry: ops: ops: :cry:
Old 07 Aug 2005, 08:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Well phil, the subaru price for the brembos is 170 just for the front :shock:

Got my full set from rich at rbperformance for much less than the front price alone

Buzz
Old 07 Aug 2005, 08:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

I figured they would be expensive!! What part on a Subaru isnt!!!! :wink: :wink:

I didnt pay all that much for the complete setup.. I was lucky I had Ivan finding me all these great bits If things need to be changed at a later date, they will be This is a money no object car!! Its the only thing I got at the moment!! Gotta have something to make me smile!!
Old 07 Aug 2005, 08:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Sorry for got to answer the alignment bit :roll:

No mate, easy to fit, only need to pull out a couple of R clips and pins and thats it :wink:

Buzz
Old 07 Aug 2005, 09:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

We'll see what Ivan says and what the steps forward are for the wheel shaking as well.. I dont think its doing any harm but what the heck do I know!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: