Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

oil in turbo intercool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2005, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

oil in turbo intercool

Just replaced the knock sensor on my 2000 turbo (very fiddly job with lots of skin removed and swearing !) and noticed oil in the intercooler ! Is this normal or could this mean that the oil seals in the turbo on their way out?
It doesn't look to be burning oil (no white smoke out of exhaust yet !) But there is sometimes a smell of oil after I have driven it hard. If it is the turbo, are there any turbo service kits available or is it better to look at getting a bigger unit. Car is completely standard at the mo' so a few extra bhp may be nice !!! 8)
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2005, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Hi mate - it really depends on how much oil is in the I/C. Basically you will always get a residue in their - as blow by gasses settle and cool down in the intercooler. However I would generally find a trace of oil rather than be able to pour it out !! How much oil is in your intercooler could determine whether its possibly turbo seals etc. As for smelling oil from your engine bay - can I suggest you check your rockers cover gaskets (both of them) as when they leak they drop oil onto the exhaust and when it burns off you get the smell
Old 07 Aug 2005, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

HI,
Could it be that the oil level is too high?

just an idea,
Old 07 Aug 2005, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Recently serviced so should be spot on!! Just been out to check and the oil level looks OK...
It is just a thin film of oil so I guess that this is OK as the car drives like a dream. Maybe the oils smell is from when it was serviced and the mech spilt some oil when filling up. Hopefully this will burn off and all will be sweet again
Old 07 Aug 2005, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

i sometimes like the smel of oil in the morning,

makes ya car smell new, if ya know what i mean
Old 07 Aug 2005, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Perfectly normal for a little bit of oil in the intercooler mate, don't worry about it. 8)
Old 07 Aug 2005, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

The crankcase breather system on the Impreza feeds vapours back into the induction system. In theory, it should get thrown into the combustion chambers and be burnt along with the fuel and out through the exhaust system.

It's not 100% perfect as you can now see. An oil catch tank is an option. The vapour feed is redirected into the tank. You can then drain the tank as and when necessary.

If I remember correctly, any performance losses are marginal. although many recommend a catch tank with highly modified engines to minimise over-pressuring problems.