Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

roof bars / bike carrier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2011, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

roof bars / bike carrier

Hi folks,
Have to drive up the country for some biking in 2 weeks. I'm dreading the thought of having to put the bike in/on the car. I don't have a tow bar. The rear mounted cycle carriers all seems to rub against the car surface so I think I'd prefer a roof mounted. I don't have any roof bars so I'll need those too I guess. The ones for my 04 Sti seem to be the ones that grab the top of the door, with a catch at the top of the window (Wiggle | Thule 750 Gutterless Rapid System Roof Bars Car Racks). I've seen this leave a bit of a mark on the paint at that spot.

Does any one have any experience of these types of roof bars or any better ideas for mounting a bike?

Steve
Old 10 Jun 2011, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: roof bars / bike carrier

Steve, if you fit roof bars on your STI you will never be forgiven.... in fact even the suggestion is offensive. I recommend sending the bikes by DHL in advance of your biking holiday and they will be there upon your arrival.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I know....the thought of it is killing me. If I do put some on they will only be on for the couple of hours that the bike is being carried. Straight off then.
Testing tomorrow morning to see if I can dismantle the bike enough to fit it in the boot. I think if I take the handle bars off it might fit. Here's hoping! Don't want you having sleepless nights thinking of my car with roof bars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-WRX-Import View Post
Steve, if you fit roof bars on your STI you will never be forgiven.... in fact even the suggestion is offensive. I recommend sending the bikes by DHL in advance of your biking holiday and they will be there upon your arrival.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Good luck mate, fingers crossed for ya