Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Which Model?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2011, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Which Model?

Hi guys hows it goin? This is the first forum I have ever joined so this is all a bit new to me! I have joined so that I can use the superior knoledge of you guys that own a Scooby to hopefully help me with my next purchase! I have always wanted an Impreza having been the age group that grew up watching Colin McCrae and Richard Burns etc smashing up the WRC. I always said that I would own one by the time I was 25 but getting married, buying a house and having kids kind of put it on the back burner for a bit. Now at the grand old age of 30, I have started my Impreza fund and will be making a purchase as soon as I have enough dollar! Although I love cars I am not mechanically minded so my first question would be, what things do I need to look out for when choosing my scooby? Next thing is would you recomend the RB5? I love the look of this model and also the fact that it is a limited edition. It also seems to be relatively cheep (around 3500) compared to others! I have also thought about buying a cheap WRX and doing it up but obviously this can get costly and after all of the work it may not be worth as much so what do you think? This is a long term thing and I intend to pass this onto my kids when im too old as it will be a classic by then! Thanks for your time, I look forward to your input
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2011, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Which Model?

Hello mate and welcome.

You're soon going to find out that there are almost limitless variations to the Impreza, particularly amongst the classics. If I were in your shoes with that budget I would proabbaly give the RB5 a miss to be honest; bit of a case of all show imo. Nice looking (apart from those awful fog covers) but for 3,500 I would be looking at a JDM car, so a later WRX or even an early STi if insurance is not a big issue. Japanese models (all classic WRX/STi's are JDM) are generally better specced than the UK cars and come with significantly more power, even more than the RB5. Only exception to this would be the P1, but you'll never find a good one for anywhere near your budget, and anyway a JDM Type R/RA is a better car, and for less money in most cases. They will likely be high milers so make sure you do your homework and don't buy the first you see. A well looked after example will easily surpass 100,000 miles and still run like a dream.
Old 31 May 2011, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi Rikimaru and thanks for all of your advice, not sure you would have helped me if you knew I was a Gooner!. To be honest as dumb as it sounds I am more worried about the look than the performance so thats why I like the RB5 so much. That said I can get the same look from another car but for LESS money so this is what I have to weigh up. Do I want to have a limited edition and keep it original(probably worth a lot more when I hand it down to my kids) or get something cheeper with the same look and have improved performance. Lots more research and saving required but she will be mine! Whatever she may be!
Old 31 May 2011, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCarper View Post
Do I want to have a limited edition and keep it original(probably worth a lot more when I hand it down to my kids) or get something cheeper with the same look and have improved performance.

Rreally depends what you want. If you really want the RB5 for it's looks then get the RB5, it's a good car and comes with 240 bhp (i think, I'm not very familiar with UK spec cars) and if you want a bit more go there are always options to pep your RB5 up a bit. If you want a car for the sheer pleasure of driving it then it has to be a JDM imo. I have the best of both worlds, I have an STi (RA) that is also a Ltd edition, but if I could only have one or the other it would be the STi.
Old 31 May 2011, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Looks like you made your mind up on a rb5 not many low or lowish milers left everyone I've seen is 90k upwards
Old 31 May 2011, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

To be honest Robbo I guess until I have the dollar and actually get to drive these cars its hard to say. I say RB5 because to me it looks stunning, its the rear spoiler and front bumper that do it for me in that blue/grey colour. The limited edition thing is just a bonus and long term may make it more valuable as im looking to keep this car to give to my kids one day. But I may find that when I have the cash ready the RB5's out there are dogs and a different model comes along with the same look and in better nick with less miles so I have to be open minded. This is why I would like your suggestions as there are so many variations!
Old 31 May 2011, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Cant really give you any advice on what model or variation to get. What i can say is GET ONE!! i bought mine intending to keep it a year - and I've nearly had the car 3 years. They are amazing machines and you've come to the right site to get some expert help. These guys & girls have helped me out loads of times with questions.

Keep saving and get one!
Old 31 May 2011, 11:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

saw an rb5 on pistonheads 2 days ago
Old 01 Jun 2011, 07:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Hi guys hows it goin? This is the first forum I have ever joined so this is all a bit new to me! I have joined so that I can use the superior knoledge of you guys that own a Scooby to hopefully help me with my next purchase! I have always wanted an Impreza having been the age group that grew up watching Colin McCrae and Richard Burns etc smashing up the WRC. I always said that I would own one by the time I was 25 but getting married, buying a house and having kids kind of put it on the back burner for a bit. Now at the grand old age of 30, I have started my Impreza fund and will be making a purchase as soon as I have enough dollar! Although I love cars I am not mechanically minded so my first question would be, what things do I need to look out for when choosing my scooby? Next thing is would you recomend the RB5? I love the look of this model and also the fact that it is a limited edition. It also seems to be relatively cheep (around 3500) compared to others! I have also thought about buying a cheap WRX and doing it up but obviously this can get costly and after all of the work it may not be worth as much so what do you think? This is a long term thing and I intend to pass this onto my kids when im too old as it will be a classic by then! Thanks for your time, I look forward to your input
Double post.. ......

Newbie looking for advice!

Old 01 Jun 2011, 03:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Sorry about the double post thing Pete rookie error!. Cheers for the check list that will be very helpfull. I guess when buying a car of this age there are lots of factors to take into consideration!
Old 01 Jun 2011, 04:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Sorry about the double post thing Pete rookie error!. Cheers for the check list that will be very helpfull. I guess when buying a car of this age there are lots of factors to take into consideration!
The impreza turbo "classic" shape 1993-2000 + the new-age impreza 2001-2007 are a great car if you can find a good one. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by 2002pete; 01 Jun 2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02 Jun 2011, 02:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Seen a couple of tidy Rb5's on pistonheads. welcome to the site by the way
Old 02 Jun 2011, 03:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariahayes View Post
Looking for a suitable business car. Suggest me which make and model is the best for my official ride in USA.

Bumper sticker
Custom folders
RB320 cheap to run parts cheap plenty in scrap yard to get bits from lol
Old 02 Jun 2011, 11:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

welcome to the org mate.

From Works The Real Deal.