Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

05 impreza 2.5rs wagon 2500rpm knock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2011, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

05 impreza 2.5rs wagon 2500rpm knock

I recently just purchase a 05 impreza with 180 000 km on the clock and when i test drove it there was a knocking noise but i tought it was the timing chain tensioner since the belt was so over due.

last night i intalled a new timing belt, idlers and tensioner got it all back together and the knocking is still there.

it knocks at roughly 2500 to 3000 but i cannot feal it in the block (took the alternator off to have access, going to try the screw driver trick tonight). i cannot feal the knock in the heads either.

i am starting to get worried that the bearings are done in the motor but there are no metal flakes in the oil at all.

i am really confused to what might be doing this. if anyone has any help i would greatly appreciate it since i fear that i am going to be making payments on a blown up car soon.

"edit, also the car does it in neutral and when i am in drive (5 speed) but it seams more noticable if i shift at 2500 then if i push thru it.

Last edited by EricD; 07 May 2011 at 01:39 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2011, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: 05 impreza 2.5rs wagon 2500rpm knock

its what you dont want it to be, 2500 rpm to 3100 rpm is the dreaded bottom end knock normally ,sorry I normally joke about this but it does sound like it this time.
Old 07 May 2011, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thats what i figured. i dont have much luck when it comes to cars, i can baby the crap out of them and they die. which is why i purchase this one but i guess didnt think it all the way thru. i am going to have to start princing used motors this is my only vehicle between me and my gf as i am replacing the wheel arches on her accord.

has people driven there cars long with bottom end knock? if i can get a month or two of light driving ( if i shift at 2000, 22000 i dont hear it). anyhow thank you for the help.
Old 07 May 2011, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

tbh if ur going to buy a used lump to replace it just drive it
Old 07 May 2011, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

well i cant post links probably because i am too new but would you mind checking tigerjapanese .com and letting me know if there ej25 from a legacy would work?

thanks you for your help

edit. never mind i just noticed that both motors are dohc, mine is a single so no go for that.

would using a 20-50 oil increase the oil pressure enough to keep the crank from knocking possibly making it last longer. my friends and I are going to start hunting a motor tomorrow but i just worried that it will die without notice

Last edited by EricD; 07 May 2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07 May 2011, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

might be worth a trip to a garage that knows a bit about these cars to double check, a internet diagnosis is 100%.