Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

pump no workin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2011, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

pump no workin

Hi, I fitted a fuel pressure regulator to my impreza. The car worked prior to me doing this, now the fuel fump doesn't even work, no fuel being pushed through to filter? My first question is, is there already a standard fuel pressure regulator on the car? I was speaking to someone at the bulldog rally who said that usually there is one already fitted and if the pressure reading isn't the same on the original and the after market one then no fuel is pumped round system? Sounds a bit bizarre, just wondered if this is true? 2nd question is I thought the solenoid on the fuel tank top was broke so got a new cradle for pump, when live testing this solenoid there's a live feed for the fuel level sensor but not for the fuel pump? Is this normal? I seem to be going round and round in circles and its starting to get boring now trying to sort this problem :-( regs Gareth
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2011, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: pump no workin

Hi, why are you fitted another FPR ?
As you said Yes there is one standard.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Hi, too be honest I was recommended to get one. Is there a cut off switch or something on the original fuel pressure reg that would stop the pump working? Regards Gareth
Old 11 Apr 2011, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Can you explain how you have fitted it with the standard one still in place?
It may explain the lack of fuel.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I removed it straight away. I did position it after the filter. Classic 94. Like I say I've removed it now. There's a live feed from loom, doesn't seem to be a live on the solenoid which the power/earth male adaptor plugs into on the fuel pump cradle, I'm not sure any power is getting to the pump? Regs Gareth
Old 12 Apr 2011, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

been given bum advise as far as gettin one fitted im afraid
Old 12 Apr 2011, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Hi tidgy, do u think that me installing the fuel pressure reg only for a matter of 5 mins could of effected the fuel pump in any way? Or the existing fuel pressure regulator? Just out of interest where bouts is it on the car, might consider changing it incase I've knackered it installing the aftermarket one. Regards Gareth
Old 12 Apr 2011, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethDalley View Post
Hi tidgy, do u think that me installing the fuel pressure reg only for a matter of 5 mins could of effected the fuel pump in any way? Or the existing fuel pressure regulator? Just out of interest where bouts is it on the car, might consider changing it incase I've knackered it installing the aftermarket one. Regards Gareth
shouldn;t do in theory, is the pump priming when you turn the ignition to prestart? (should hear it whine)
Old 12 Apr 2011, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

There's a live feed from loom, but live doesn't seem to pass through solenoid ontop of pump cradle (so doesn't seem to be power getting to pump). Pump not making any noise either because of this or pumps broked :-( bought replacement cradle at wkend so dnt think its that. regards Gareth
Old 12 Apr 2011, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

sound slike the fault is either the cradle or the pump, how sure are you the pump isn;t fried?
Old 12 Apr 2011, 10:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I haven't yet power tested the pump, I'll do that wednesday, I know that sounds silly just fellow owners were telling me its extremly rare for a walbro pump to fry so was looking more at fuel pressure reg or cradle as the issue initially. Seems strange that cannot get a live feed from solenoid on cradle to the pump? There power from loom, strange. I'll check pump wednesday and keep u guys updated :-/ thanks for your help Gareth
Old 12 Apr 2011, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Lol just been told where the fuel pump relay is on the car, I didn't check it, would make sense if its blown as to no life from the pump! Oh dear feel a bit silly. Hopefully that's the problem, just outta interest which colour of the three relays under the dash is the fuel pump one? Mines a 94 import wrx. Any ideas would be helpful. Regards Gareth
Old 27 Apr 2011, 09:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Hi guys, afraid I'm back needing more help :-( right I've bought a new cradle and male plug which fits onto wiring loom as mine was toast! Firstly I've got a live feed from loom, when wiring this to the male adaptor plug could anyone confirm what order/coloured wires attach to the live feed etc? There are two earths one thicker than the other, then the other is a blue colour from loom. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, just because mine got fried I'm wondering if this is causing the issue? The 2nd hand working pump I've bought isn't priming? Are there any safety devices on the car which would stop the pump working? Like I say live feed from loom? Also I've changed all 3 relays under the dash also? I'm at a stage now where I'm considering scrapping my project for something more reliable :-( regards Gareth
Old 28 Apr 2011, 08:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethDalley View Post
Are there any safety devices on the car which would stop the pump working?Gareth
Usually most cars have inertia switches fitted - basically if you get into a crash, the switch operates cutting the fuel. I have no idea where the switch is, but it's unlikely that you've knocked it if you've only changed the FPR. If you did knock it and you are getting a live feed that could be a reason for the pump not working.

Also check the earth on the pump as well, if it's a bad connection then the power will go straight to earth, not the pump.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 08:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Hi the impreza's don't have inertia's. So won't be that. What would u recommend I do when checking if its earthed correctly? I've heard impreza's electrics can be a mine field :-( a mate said that it might be worth changing the crank sensor? Also another said check the connection on the maf? I know that if the car runs with the maf unplugged then its knackered, but I'm sure this wouldn't effect there being no whirring from the pump when ignition is turned on? Also would u recommend I submerge the pump fully when checking or just powering it to try to get it powered? Sorry for all the questions :-( dnt want to give up on my 2 year project :-( regds Gareth