Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

On the Road or RR/ Mapping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2005, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

On the Road or RR/ Mapping

I had my car mapped on the road driving at speeds of 120-130 mph and was told that all was ok. After visiting a RR I was told the car was running weak at top end and they asked how it was mapped, which I told them on the road. I was advised to have the car mapped on the RR by the RR company as they thought that mapping on the road at speeds of over 120-130 was not right.
So how do mappers map the car at speeds of over the speed they see? I enquired with my mapper who said that the car was right and to take no notice of the RR Company as mapping on the road is the best way of doing things to get them spot on.
So we have mappers that map on the road and say its the way to do things and mappers that use RRs and say this is the way to do it.
Which do you lot think the better way?
I can see it is safer to map on the RRs due to being able to hold the revvs at certain revs points and not having a car crash. You can also max the car out in top without having to have a 2 mile straight. On the road I think is a little dangerous driving at these speeds. I think I am OK at these speeds, but do everyone?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2005, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to mr freeze
when i had mine mapped bob paul said get to 4000 rpm in forth then redline it , so you can imagine what sort of speed where talking about & he did the same in 3rd & 5th ish ...
But as far as i've bin told they map it on the rollers normally then give it a final tweek on the road for obvious high speeds i presume .................. :wink:
Old 22 Jul 2005, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Seems most people recommend mapping on RR then a final tweek on the road. I have been told you can map on RR then take off fuel when mapping on the road. When back on the RR the fueling shows a little on the weak side. Think I might like to leave it on the rich side just for safety sake.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to mr freeze
i'd agree with that too mate better rich than weak ..... dont want anything detting do we.... 8) 8)
Old 22 Jul 2005, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
I am rather interested in how they do this as my car is shortly going for a RR tune up so I'm wondering what its going to be like. Sadly the MAF and throttle sensor has gone which is a bit of a pain, but hey, it dont really matter, it'll just get replaced!!

So how is the best way? RR and then on the road? What sort of speeds on the road would they do? Surely the RR is far safer at high speeds?
Old 23 Jul 2005, 01:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i had my car map two weeks go on the rr had good results so i will say it is the best way to do it.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Agree with Azir RR the way to go - too many cameras and nice Police men around my part of the world to sustain high speeds/revs for too long - but you got to be careful who you take it to.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
My only problem with finding a RR is finding one that's not a million miles away from me!! A trip up and back to Birmingham isnt always the best thing to do if something isnt right!!
Old 23 Jul 2005, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

I have been on a few forums asking this question and get different answers from different people.
It seems if you are a mapper who does not have a dyno then mapping on the road is best. If you do have a dyno then mapping on the dyno is better and far safer.
I wonder if mappers who map on the road had free access to a dyno would use it? Or would still say no on the road is best.

It seems that large companies that map cars charge about 650 mapping on a dyno that cost them about 100,000. The local mappers charge the same but do not shell out the price of a dyno set-up. So should not the local mapper be cheaper?
Not slagging off the local mappers as I have always used them and find they do a wonderful job.

I have been to PowerStation quite a few times and find that the big race boys WRC and the like all map there cars on the dyno. This makes me fill a little happier letting Scoobyclinic map my car using there dyno.

Phill/ Speeds of 120-130mph are used when my car is mapped on the road.
About 4000 in 3rd then flat out till red line
The same in 4th and in 5th but in 5th you will not get flat out only to 120-130mph when you have to slow down for roundabouts or traffic. I wonder how they map the car for 5th gear after the 130mph and up to 165 if the car has the power.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Mr_Wid
I've never seen one done on the road before, do they monitor things like afr, and boost etc, or is it all a bit of a guess?

Surely a rr is way better as you can see/plot where the power is. Plus after the mapping you've got figures of before and after, makes for better pub chat!
Old 23 Jul 2005, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
I think that RR is the way to go, as you say out on the roads how can you get to and maintain those sort of speed safely, you dont know whats likely to happen!

Only other option is to go to somewhere like bruntingthorpe ( old airfield) and have it done.

With the RR they can check all the parameters better and at Scoobyclinic they "listen " to the car through a stethascope too!, then it out on the road to check out.

Buzz
Old 23 Jul 2005, 07:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Louise_Rat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill-type-R
My only problem with finding a RR is finding one that's not a million miles away from me!! A trip up and back to Birmingham isnt always the best thing to do if something isnt right!!

ap motors in plymouth or powerstation in brstol?
Old 23 Jul 2005, 07:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to BIG GRINDER!
Hi
Surely the idea of remapping is to set the cars computer to run at the best possible performance for the cars set up and its enviroment. Aerodynamic forces acting on the car which increase as you get faser and increase the stress load on the engine.
Running on a RR is not the cars normal enviroment. Mapping on the road is.
I cant see how setting your car up to run on RR is better than setting on the road.
I dont recomend 120mph :wink:

Well thats what I think :ideao:

Kev
Old 24 Jul 2005, 12:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill-type-R
were about in birmingham im from birmingham i went out to powerstaion to do my mapping if u do not mind me asking.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 01:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Its in Bilston mate I think, its with Foresters at the moment, hoping to speak to Ivan about it on Monday.. I'd like to try and get it all mapped and so on whilst its up there..