Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Gatso Vans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2011, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Gatso Vans

Seen 4 Gatso vans today in the outskirts round the city to try and catch people speeding! Money Racket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You dont see them putting a huge amount of money/effort into helping stop this happen

"According to the HSE’s National Office for Suicide Prevention (NOSP), 527 Irish people took their own life in 2009, a figure far greater than the 238 lives lost on Irish roads during the same period"

Oh yeah, there's no money to be made in that... typical f**king Irish Government!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22 Feb 2011, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Gatso Vans

About the vans how far away can they catch you? and do they flash if they catch you?
Old 22 Feb 2011, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Now now i'm SURE they where in an area prone to accidents and fatalities and not somewhere safe with a high volume of traffic where it could be assumed that they where there to gather revenue !!!!!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2011, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Exactly that ^^^^ knew it already unmarked vans well two of them anyway and the other 2 were marked one of the unmarked was behind a motorway sign the sneaky ***** makes you wonder????????????
Old 22 Feb 2011, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Vans don't flash and they catch u from a distance of 100metres away plain vans are normally dvla tax vans or cop ANC vans by law they need a speed sign on them if they are on speed look out
Old 22 Feb 2011, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo View Post
plain vans are normally dvla tax vans or cop ANC vans by law they need a speed sign on them if they are on speed look out
Know what you mean fella and totally agree but here its a joke check this video on a motorway in Dublin the M50 the gatso vans in Ireland used to be for a long time like this just plain unmarked vans and some still are, its a joke
Old 22 Feb 2011, 08:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Right if you ever get caught mate by a plain van don't pay fine its called entrapment goto caught and you Will get away with it.I drive for a living know all there tricks and my sister is a traffic cop she told me ways to get off 1 tip never ever produce your licence at the seen u will get fine plus points
Old 23 Feb 2011, 01:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

wonder does that same law apply in rep of ireland where you are Darren?
Old 23 Feb 2011, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

The law in Northern Ireland is very similar to English law, but not identical. Southern Ireland is completely different.
In England and Wales, the Talivans HAVE to be fully marked up and where I am in the North West they are bright yellow. They also have to put a sign out in front of the van. They are run by road safety partnerships and are operated by civilians.
However......the Police can use whatever tactics they like - unmarked cars, motorcycles and the dreaded old fashioned speed check area. No signs needed, but the Officer has to be in uniform if he is on foot and he tries and to stop you.
In relation to producing your licence - you CAN produce it at the roadside, but if you dont have it, you will be required to produce it within 7 days at the Police station. If you dont do that, you will be prosecuted for failing to produce it AND get extra points at court.
The talivans and speed check equipment used by the Police is a form of laser and it can get you around 1000 metres (1km) away not 100 metres. As long as the operator can see you, they can 'check' your speed.
-
I dont agree with these tactics, but these are the facts. I should know!
Old 23 Feb 2011, 09:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Interesting points their 'robbo' and wonder would that work down here 'shambles' lets hope I never get caught but if it an unmarked gatso would be very interesting with a good solicitor to battle it in the court????
Old 23 Feb 2011, 09:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulders View Post
I dont agree with these tactics, but these are the facts.
Remember one time the old Cork - Dublin road before the motorway now a copper was hidden in a bush with the gun out with just his uniform and no high vis jacket now thats sneaky and he had a cop car hidden just 50metres away so would imagine he would have just used his radio to tip off the cop car to go after ya if over the limit this country a joke for them have been driving on UK roads a lot of times and have come across some of them gatso vans and to be fair they way better run over, dont think you would see an unmarked would you? but plus when I'am over their and if ye over here they didnt bring the law in yet as far as I know anyway, that if I got caught speeding in the uk they can only fine me and not give me points on my licence as it not agreed on yet, so when any one over here on a uk licence think its just only the fine you pay and not the points also aswell thats one good thing I suppose
Old 23 Feb 2011, 09:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Just dont blame me that I said it if you over here and check it out and blast past a gatso at 140mph just to see if you get no points
Old 24 Feb 2011, 05:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Hey Darren,
Where exactly were they...in case I happen to pass them on my way home!
Old 24 Feb 2011, 05:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenf View Post
Hey Darren,
Where exactly were they...in case I happen to pass them on my way home!
All over to be honest the N25 to Midelton, Airport Road, Ballincollig by pass, look out for the renault van the 11kk reg think it was the blue one also a white transit aswell they can be all different regs not just Ds so watch out!
Old 24 Feb 2011, 05:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Young Scooby

and were you saying that 2 of them were unmarked? I thought all of those gatso vans had to be fully marked? Only seen 1 since they came in, on the way to Limerick outside the awesomely named Newtwopothouse. Thought it had caught me doing about 70mph in a 60 zone but didn't hear anything about it....though I was testing my brakes quite hard just after I spotted it.