Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Insurance logic ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2005, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to torrekens
Insurance logic ???

He who does understand...

Last year the insurance on both my cars went up when they came up for renewal. That despite the fact that we had a year more of NCB, the cars went down in value and we got a year older. :?

I just called for the renewal of the scoob's insurance and am told the insurance will cost 1365 GBP. Roughly what it was this year, despite the extra year NCB, but not abnormal since my registered address changed from a Cotswolds village to Swansea.

Then I get a quote from the same insurance company on their internet site (also got the current policy from there).

I am quoted 1049 GBP... :shock:

It clearly pays to cancel your policy and get a new one !

I'd be interested to know what the recruitment criteria are to work for an insurance company in the UK...

Question:

Just got a quote online from Direct Line for 727 GBP. This seems fairly low. Are they OK as an insurer ?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2005, 06:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Re: Insurance logic ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrekens
I am quoted 1049 GBP... :shock:

It clearly pays to cancel your policy and get a new one !

I'd be interested to know what the recruitment criteria are to work for an insurance company in the UK...

Question:

Just got a quote online from Direct Line for 727 GBP. This seems fairly low. Are they OK as an insurer ?
New insurance customers always get priority, the same goes for mobile phone companies although they have improved slightly. If they looked after their loyal customers they would have to keep trying to get new ones, as most of us would stick with them.

Direct Line are quite good. They are a big company and seem to play by the rules.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Thanks Highlander !

While I am at it, the scoob is a 2003. Should I still insure it for 25K ? Or is that useless as I would only get book value in case of a cliam and is it better to simply pay for e.g. 17K ?

When putting 20K, it seems the cost dropped to 660 GBP with Direct line...
Old 12 Jul 2005, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Hi mate, am affraid you will only get market value, and that seems to be dropping by the day :shock:

Tried subaru insured?

Buzz
Old 12 Jul 2005, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz
Hi mate, am affraid you will only get market value, and that seems to be dropping by the day :shock:

Tried subaru insured?
I did. Best quote was 1191 GBP.

Not worried about only getting market value. That's what the lease company would want to get back in even of a problem. But I don't want to pay 80 quid extra to insure a car for 25K and then get 15K in even of a claim.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

sounds like its direct line then :wink:
Buzz
Old 12 Jul 2005, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

insurance baffles me :x

When i was buying my 99 turbo there was a descrepency (tesco)... I gave them my reg and it was (sake of arguing) 700 no tracker required.... So when i recieve my docs through the post it says the car is an RB5 :P

So i phones them up and says its not an RB5 (limited edition less of them) so they say i need a tracker (+500 to install) and the insurance jumps to over 1k.... Whats all that about then?

In brief.... The RB5 didnt need a tracker and was almost 400 cheaper to insure over my99 turbo :?:
Old 12 Jul 2005, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
sounds like its direct line then :wink:
Buzz
Probably will be. Although I will check with them what the terms and conditions are for travel within the EU, as the car obviously travels a lot between countries.

I am still surprised everybody is so enthusiastic about Subaru Insured. I never got anything sensible out of them.
First time, they just told me they wouldn't insure a 28 year old driver, even with 4 years NCB, no convictions and who already was driving another car worth more than twice the scoob. The reason was that I did not drive what they considered a "performance car" before getting the scoob... :gun:
Today they are OK, but still are higher than others on their quote. And even if they were the same, why would I now give my custom to a company that told me to s*d off two years earlier ? :evil:
Old 12 Jul 2005, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

sounds weird, when I first approched them for my wrx they were well expensive, after i had that and the Sti ( mods declared) for over a year they came out the same price as tescos wanted with out mods ( as wouldnt touch mods) :shock:

Suppose that I proved I wasnt going to prang it in the first year so not so much of a risk ( and the wrong side of 40) :roll:

Buzz
Old 12 Jul 2005, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
sounds weird, when I first approched them for my wrx they were well expensive, after i had that and the Sti ( mods declared) for over a year they came out the same price as tescos wanted with out mods ( as wouldnt touch mods) :shock:

Suppose that I proved I wasnt going to prang it in the first year so not so much of a risk ( and the wrong side of 40) :roll:
Might well be that they first like to see what a customer is like for a few years. It's just that I don't see why I should bother about a company that doesn't want to give you a chance in the first place.

It's a bit like car salesmen. When I was 21, I wanted to buy a quite expensive car (>30K) and quite a few salesmen at dealerships either sent me a away with a general brochure, one (a Toyota dealer) even told me to come back with my parents. :shock:
Bought myself a Mercedes E300. Needless to say these guys don't stand ANY chance anymore of selling anything to me... :cen
Old 12 Jul 2005, 09:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Thats fair comment, does "P" you off I know, but can see it from the insurers side too!

Buzz
Old 12 Jul 2005, 09:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Thats fair comment, does "P" you off I know, but can see it from the insurers side too!
It's still a customer's market and in times where many businesses complain about international competition etc, some should look-up the concept "customer service" in the dictionary.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 10:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

cant argue with that :wink:

Buzz
Old 12 Jul 2005, 10:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999Turbo
insurance baffles me :x

When i was buying my 99 turbo there was a descrepency (tesco)... I gave them my reg and it was (sake of arguing) 700 no tracker required.... So when i recieve my docs through the post it says the car is an RB5 :P

So i phones them up and says its not an RB5 (limited edition less of them) so they say i need a tracker (+500 to install) and the insurance jumps to over 1k.... Whats all that about then?

In brief.... The RB5 didnt need a tracker and was almost 400 cheaper to insure over my99 turbo :?:
Shows we are right: Insurance people know diddly-squad about cars ! :indian:
Old 13 Jul 2005, 04:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

P1 = 780 at Tesco
STI 5 Type R= 480 at Tesco. Its the same car basicly. :?

Insured a few cars with Tesco and they only ask if the car is valued at under 30,000.

They ask what extras and I goo through my very long list. They then ask what BHP I say still the same and they tell me no extra then.