Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Impreza WRX Saloon Vs Baby Practicality ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2011, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Impreza WRX Saloon Vs Baby Practicality ???

Can anyone help ?

I've put a deposit down on a 2005/55 Impreza 2.5 WRX at a garage thinking great - i've got myself a sporty wee family car (new baby due at the end of July) with the capability to deal with a little snow and am due to pick it up and pay the balance next Friday.

The thing is i have since been told that with all the stuff for the baby plus shopping there will be no room in the boot ! I was looking at estates to begin with along with Legacys but this WRX realy caught my eye and with onlw 29000 miles on the clock and a 2 year warranty i thought i had picked the right car but now i'm doubting myself and am considering just forgetting about the nominal deposit and looking for something more 'practical'

Are there any guys or gals here with a new/very young family that live day to day with a saloon impreza ?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2011, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Impreza WRX Saloon Vs Baby Practicality ???

Can't comment on the new age cars, but the boot in the classic takes a push chair but there isn't much space left. I have to take my cover out to fit the chair in. Don't have kids of my own so don't need to take 'em shopping but honestly think you would struggle if you want to take a baby to the supermarket.

How about a WRX wagon? Used to have one and could fit loads in the back.
Old 05 Feb 2011, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
How about a WRX wagon? Used to have one and could fit loads in the back.
I think you might be right there, i did think about an estate but got obsessed with this saloon.

Maybe losing a 100 deposit just now isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things, and start looking for what i really NEED rather than want !

Last edited by gavmc1980; 05 Feb 2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05 Feb 2011, 05:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavmc1980 View Post
I think you might be right there, i did think about an estate but got obsessed with this saloon.

Maybe losing a 100 deposit just now isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things, and start looking for what i really NEED rather than want !
Tbh much as I like my saloon, which is an STi, I still miss my WRX wagon. Was a great car and I enjoyed driving it every bit as much as my STi. Just wanted more power so an upgrade to an STi was the most sensible option for me.
Old 05 Feb 2011, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

I changed to a new age saloon for the extra room over the civic. It's one baby how much room do you need!
Old 05 Feb 2011, 06:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
I changed to a new age saloon for the extra room over the civic. It's one baby how much room do you need!
Pram, weekend away worth of baby stuff, weekend away stuff for two adults (We need to go away on short breaks a few times a year to visit my partners mother who lives several hundred miles away.

Do you think there will be enough room for that ??
Old 05 Feb 2011, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Does anyone else have experience of having young kids and living with a saloon impreza on a daily basis and also for family trips?
Old 05 Feb 2011, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Ive got a 53 plate WRX saloon, 2 x young children (oh and a wife). I bought the car when my daughter was 6 months old. Been able to fit our baby pram, changing bag etc in the boot no probs.

Had the car fully packed with 2 x suitcases all the stuff that goes with a family holiday too and the 4 of us in the car. Had to put the buggy across the rear passenger footwells in these instances but managed to travel 300 miles to get to our destination.

Also i used to use the car to and from work. Now my wife usually has it, with the 2 x kids and their child seats when she's to and from school and around town.

If you have to carry LOADS of stuff regularly then probably some kind of big estate or people carrier might be better. If it is only occasionally then you will have more than enough room. You will still have room in the car for smaller things.

Get the bugger bought!!!!!
Old 05 Feb 2011, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx_ryk View Post
Get the bugger bought!!!!!

I will more than likely just buy it as it was a lovely car, but after reading through other threads on this site i may have another problem - it took almost two weeks of haggling to get to the deal i am at and i have just thought that i cannot remember seeing any paperwork to prove that the cam belt has been changed and given the fact the car is now 5 years old (albeit with only 30k miles) the belt and tensioners will need done before i take the car, i'll need to see what the garage says about doing this too
Old 05 Feb 2011, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

As you've said yourself - best check everything before you buy. I bought mine from a garage as it was approaching its 5 year birthday. Cambelt had not been done. I too put a deposit on the car to go back the following week so they could get it serviced , taxed, mot'd etc. In that week i found out (probably from this 'ere website) that it should be having the cambelt done. I rang the garage who said that it wasnt due until 60,000 miles ( it had only done 37,000). I told them 'honest, it does need doing' and did they want to run the risk of the car coming back to them on a recovery truck with a mangled engine?

I think they rang Subaru who confirmed the belt was due. I bought the car the following week on the agreement that they had the car back to do the belt. They agreed and a couple of weeks later they did it (the car at that point still hadnt reached 5 years old).

If it should be done (and they want your money) cant see any problems with them doing it.
Old 06 Feb 2011, 10:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

We have a WRX RA as the main car and 3 children all 6 and under....

It's a bit impractical, but the boot is plenty big enough and the kids love the 'fun turns' DO IT!!!
Old 10 Feb 2011, 08:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I've only got the one child which we brought while driving a smaller car than my 55 wrx,when we bought the wrx i was gobmacked how big the boot was.
Just buy it for the sensible family car that it is
Old 10 Feb 2011, 08:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

richuk... Where can I buy a child??? I fancy another!!
Old 11 Feb 2011, 08:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Young Scooby

LOL just read it back.

Should have read brought up.....

You can buy my child, make me an offer
Old 11 Feb 2011, 08:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Send a message via Yahoo to EmzWRX

I brought my WRX saloon when my boy was just 2 months old..... I had a VW Touran before..........Don't ask!!

Have to say the only issue I had was getting a rear facing car seat to fit in the rear due to the seatbelts not being long enough, but brought one from ToyRUs and it was just a bit of a pain for a while till I could turn the seat back around, I ended up leaving it in all time but to put him in the car I had to climb across back seat....but was soooo worth it..........now its one of the most practical cars I've ever brough, kids love it, my mum sulks if I don't take her out in it.....

Get it spent!!!