Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

anyone here 20yrs old?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2005, 11:29 PM   #31 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to torrekens
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealion127
old dodder's are more dangerous........ok....they dont drive fast but they dont have a clue as to what day it is, i know old age will come to us all one day but its a true fact. a senior citizen in a micra ran me onto the grass verge the other day , and i bet she has years of driving experience.
True. Age gerenally gives you the mature mind to stay within the limits, mileage gives you the experience when you go near those limits.

That being said, I am not 100% with the idea earlier that going from a low power car to a high power car will catch people out.

Going from a 100bhp Focus to a 220bhp Mondea ST220 or even a 354bhp Merc C55AMG is not a drama. Yes, things go quicker, but the car still reacts according to the rulebook when you near the limit.

With the scoob, it's all in the delivery of the power and the handling.
1. Power delivery is much more brutal and sudden than with nearly any other car. If you're a "Nova Turbo" driver who only knows one pedal, you're in for a few surprises, especially in the rain.
2. A scoob ain't a BMW 3. You can't go into a corner at 50mph, avoid understeer with a small tick against the brakes and ride it out with slight oversteer. If you avoid understeer, the scoob hangs on for its dear life until 80 (like most 4WD's) and when the turbo kicks in, gives you massive sudden oversteer... :help: In an STi (at least one with the passive diffs, can't talk about DCCD) the diffs then also lock to accentuate the oversteer and if your name isn't Makinen, you generally end up coming out of the corner with your tail between your legs.

Still, it's what makes the car so fantastic to drive (and the perfect toy to do donuts in winter here :angel: )
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2005, 11:54 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowarren
that reply was aimed at the person who i named in the reply whos name i cant remember, the bloke from finland. the older you get you always assume people younger than you dont know whats going on but youd be surprised, half of me thinks the age of been able to get a licence should be raised to 18 but then i think back and remember at 17 i was perfectly aware of the dangers and was a very sensible driver. i think the main reason of why i was so angry at the finland person was when i am on the road im such a considerate driver, i always go out of my way to help other drivers if its letting someone out of a busy junction or alerting people to dangers behind through flashing lights, little things like that make roads safer places but to say all 20yr olds shouldnt drive imprezas is insulting, age doesnt matter until you open your mouth
True, my statement is a generalisation. But given the ego of most 20 year old guys, I don't think I need to defend myself for it. And hei... guilty as charged. If I'd had my STi when I was that age, I would definitely have ended up using the wrong pedal once too often. Fortunately I gained my experience in a very heavy and forgiving car and did some intergalactic mileage early in my life.

When I was teaching advanced driving skills, it was the same story 9 times out of 10 when we had a group of 18 or 20 year old guys coming along. They didn't come to learn (at that age we all knew everything best anyway, didn't we :whistle: ), they came to show off who's the best driver ! I can tell you I've had some fun... :lol2:

I'm not a Finn and I don't think they are good drivers at all. They don't respect other people on the road, but hell do they know something about car control ! Teaching how to skid a car is part of the driver teaching and when you drive 6 months per year on 4 inches of ice, you know you got to respect conditions, in any car.

Driving a proper scoob is the same. You need to respect it. But humans generally only respect something if it's biten them (few times in my case). If you've driven 15K per year even for 3 years, you can't have been biten very often.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 05:07 AM   #33 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I'm 30 and have only had my car for about 2 months now. I like to open it up in a straight line sometimes, but I am still very weary on going round corners at any speed. I used to have a 306 Gti6, which handled very well for a FWD car, and even though I now have 4WD I take the corners slowers than I used to until I get used to the car.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 07:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to KaraK
of course to say that all twenty year old drivers are not capable of handling the scoob in safe manner is rediculous. To say that the typical 20 yr old driver is not capable to handle the car safely is much more on the ball.

No disrespect to boowarren but experience on for example a farm doesnt always help make you a safe driver on the road - a friend of mine who is older than me (he is 25) who has been driving jeeps/pickups etc off road and on farms etc in Kenya for years but has only recently passed his UK road licence is an absolute danger to himself and others on the road in his little 1.2 Clio - his wheel skills are pretty impressive but he has no fecking clue about the sort of margins you need to give on public roads.

tbh boowarren you sound like you've got your head screwed on relatively straight but even you hve ot accept that the majority of 20 yr olds don't. Hence you are really going to struggle to get insurance on a scoob turbo.

Personally I think that there should be license "grades" with tougher tests required to drive more powerful/trickier cars - I'm not talking about any age restriction but on based purely on ability and awareness that would allow all ages to enjoy scoob-esque cars and make the roads a darn sight safer at the same time.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 08:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraK
tbh boowarren you sound like you've got your head screwed on relatively straight but even you hve ot accept that the majority of 20 yr olds don't. Hence you are really going to struggle to get insurance on a scoob turbo.
That's indeed the problem I am afraid ! I tried to insure the STi when I was 29 and despite good credentials and insuring a reasonably powerful Merc worth 3 times the Scoob with the same insurance company, I struggled.

Good luck with the quote !
Old 04 Jul 2005, 07:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

HI, havent read the posts,

But i am 25, got my impreza 2000 when i was 24,

most insurers didnt want to know me unitl i was 30!

in the end the cheapest quote i could get was 3500 by tesco.net, but had a tracker fitted which cost 299, anf they insured my car for 1050, not bad eh!
but only using the online. only takes 5mins
Old 04 Jul 2005, 07:45 PM   #37 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieard
HI, havent read the posts,

But i am 25, got my impreza 2000 when i was 24,

most insurers didnt want to know me unitl i was 30!

in the end the cheapest quote i could get was 3500 by tesco.net, but had a tracker fitted which cost 299, anf they insured my car for 1050, not bad eh!
but only using the online. only takes 5mins
I'm 24 right now and I'm paying 1200 (ish) for my Type R with 7 or 8 years full no claims, so I dont think I'm doing so bad I guess.

I might give them a shout come Feburary...
Old 05 Jul 2005, 07:03 PM   #38 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

what do you think of the 2.0 sport for younger drivers then like the 17-20yo generation its not like there fast just handle great! and can look the boobies

just curious thats all
Old 05 Jul 2005, 07:12 PM   #39 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Sounds good to me!! Its an Impreza, do you need any other reason!!
Old 05 Jul 2005, 07:15 PM   #40 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i just wondered because im just 18 and i have a 2.0 sport insurance is a killer but worth every penny because it still looks the nuts i feel good driving it so... what more can i say.

its not as quick as my old car isnt a slug but no speed freek lol but handles alot better and is just all round nicer!
Old 05 Jul 2005, 07:20 PM   #41 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbleyuk
its not as quick as my old car isnt a slug but no speed freek lol but handles alot better and is just all round nicer!
I find its not the speed but the actual fun of driving the car.. Love the looks, sound and noise when I put my foot down
Old 05 Jul 2005, 07:30 PM   #42 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

yer i really do enjoy driving it...

Old 05 Jul 2005, 08:38 PM   #43 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Then that's all that matters mate
Old 06 Jul 2005, 07:16 PM   #44 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

its difficult to go back to driving a non turbo car after always have that kick tho, my cheapest quote is 2 grand which considering driving is what i get most of my day to day fun from i dont think its a lot, everyone spends money on what their into, im into driving, so im gonna buy a nice car, luckily sex and music doesnt cost a lot aswell