Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

anyone here 20yrs old?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2005, 10:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to BIG GRINDER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrekens
above text.
This is a fair point but one that will most likely cause riots

Direct access course for a bike.... If you are under acertain age you cannot drive a bike over (i think) 600cc - bikers please correct me
I work with a bloke with a Hayabusa. The a##h#le brags about his 190mph runs. 200mph bike NO mods declared. A#SH#LE!
I would like to do 150mph plus but I would get locked up, but im not that stupid most of the time ops:

Kev
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2005, 10:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Send a message via MSN to triplezoney
I've declared all m mods :cry: gotta be done!
ppl that do that kinda speed are just askin 4 trouble, but I am all for an open speed limit on motorways like in Germany, best way I think.

B roads n A roads, drive to a sensible speed, but round schools n stuff like that I agree with 20mph max, but some speed limits are just there to make money :cry:

It makes me laugh when the kid with the Nova reckons he out did a Scoob at 150 lmao :P
Old 29 Jun 2005, 07:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to sealion127
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplezoney
I've declared all m mods :cry: gotta be done!
ppl that do that kinda speed are just askin 4 trouble, but I am all for an open speed limit on motorways like in Germany, best way I think.

B roads n A roads, drive to a sensible speed, but round schools n stuff like that I agree with 20mph max, but some speed limits are just there to make money :cry:

It makes me laugh when the kid with the Nova reckons he out did a Scoob at 150 lmao :P
theres a lad local to me ( never met him) with a nova fitted with a calibra 2.0 turbo engine. his favourite pass time is scooby and evo scalping.

the days of thundering round like a mad man have long gone .!

Old 29 Jun 2005, 08:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to torrekens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill-type-R
I dont need to drive like a bat out of hell with the Scooby, I know its hugely fast but I dont race everyone that I see.

I like the car enough not to be driving it like a complete to$$er each time I get in it. Guys at work say, you've got a fast car, you should drive it like it.. I asked why.. They couldnt comment or I wasnt listening...

I'm coming up 25 this year (a little over a month and a few days) but I know when is best to use the power and when is not. I dont want to hurt anyone nor loose my licence just because someone calls me 'yellow' (Back To The Future?????) If I wanna go like a bat out of hell, I'll try a track day

My opinion, but people say I'm weird.. Maybe they are right!
:bow:

Very sensible comment ! And unfortunately, real car enthusiasts who like a car for its capabilities and technology (like yourself) are being "punished" by my comment.

I was already afraid my remark would cause people to :tomato: :gun: :ban: :hang:

I got the STi when I was 29 and was wondering why the insurances were making such a big deal.
I'd driven FWD, RWD and 4WD near (and over) the limit, I'd driven 4WD rally cars... The scoob, and especially the STi is however still more dangerous. It doesn't have the "plumpness" of an Audi Quattro where suspension travel and forgiving road tyres tell you half an hour in advance you will loose it.
Compared to a rally car, it does have a competition suspension and very aggressive diffs with similar reactions, but without the tyres, brakes (and roll cage) that go with it.

Result: the brakes cannot keep up with the car's performance and the car is as vicious in its reactions as a rally car without having the other goodies that make a rally car controllable. Plus, in a rally, if the car catches you out there are no other cars around and there is a roll cage when it goes wrong. :doc:

Knowing how to put a 325i sideways at 25mph on a roundabout is not going to help you in a scoob ! THAT's where many inexperienced people get it wrong.

This car, however much I think it's the MOST FANTASTIC road car I know, is unfortunately no toy.

Those who want to experience how difficult an STi can be to drive, come and try it out around my corner of the woods... in winter !
Old 29 Jun 2005, 08:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to torrekens
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealion127
theres a lad local to me ( never met him) with a nova fitted with a calibra 2.0 turbo engine. his favourite pass time is scooby and evo scalping.
Send him over next January and I'll let my wife scalp him with a Polo 1.2. :lol2:
Old 29 Jun 2005, 11:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to KaraK
I bought the scoob a few days before I was 22 - and now at 24 I could say it was probably too soon to have one - I'm not saying age nessicarily is the key thing - its car experience. I don't care if you are 35 and have been driving for 18 years, if it was all done in a 1.2 Fiesta it won't prepare you for the scoob (or similar)
Old 29 Jun 2005, 04:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Thanks for the kind words there torrekens, but its like KaraK mentioned as well, if people only drive under powered cars and then get something powerfull, they are more likely to write them off as they arent used to having all that extra get up and go.

I'm glad I have the Scoob, I like it a lot, but theres still nothing or no one thats gonna make me feel like I have to race everyone and everything.

I drive to cruise (I cant look good, havent you seen me!!) and I just enjoy being in the car. I know it will eat most cars and some bikes for breakfast but I'm certainly not going to prove that to everyone that sits in it with me. If they want to do that, they can do it in their own car.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 06:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i knew id get at least one person patronising me when i started this topic so its ok but its a bit of a generalisation to say all 20yr olds are too young torrekens, firstly my dad is a farmer so ive had to drive all kinds of things since i was very young and have always driven high powered cars on the road, a 2 litre turbo isnt a lot more than what im used to and when youve been in a crash you know the dangers, i think u need to be shaken up a bit or have a couple of near misses before you understand fully, shouldnt really have to justify my reasons for getting one anyway but theres your reply torrekens, i asked about insurance not how all these young whippersnappers r spoiling it for the rest of us.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 06:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
I wouldnt say we have been having a go at you, but most 20 yr olds drive like idiots, a few rarely drive safely but fast.

Like Karak mentions, most 20yr old drive done up nova's and so on, its something thats so different compared to a Scooby or even my 220 Turbo Coupe I had. A few respect the power of a car..
Old 29 Jun 2005, 08:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to sealion127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill-type-R
I wouldnt say we have been having a go at you, but most 20 yr olds drive like idiots, a few rarely drive safely but fast.

Like Karak mentions, most 20yr old drive done up nova's and so on, its something thats so different compared to a Scooby or even my 220 Turbo Coupe I had. A few respect the power of a car..
old dodder's are more dangerous........ok....they dont drive fast but they dont have a clue as to what day it is, i know old age will come to us all one day but its a true fact. a senior citizen in a micra ran me onto the grass verge the other day , and i bet she has years of driving experience.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 08:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

As a 20 year old responsible STI driver I find some of your comments stereotypical of the younger generation :evil: . Maybe it's jealousy of the youth of today being able to afford performance cars or maybe you are just jealous of "youth" :x but either way to say a 20 year old is unable to handle a car of such power is plain ludicrous. i have been driving cars on private land from an age of 12 on and with proper instruction a screwed on head and a bit of self belief I am able to say that the STI can be enjoyed by all age groups, I say go for it fella if you know that you can afford the costs of owning a Subaru and are a confident responsible driver!! 8)
Old 29 Jun 2005, 08:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

I wasnt having a go at you, I was merely saying that most guys I have seen driving their little tarted up Fiesta's and Nova's seem to have accidents when showing off to other people and I know because I witnessed an accident whilst I was out!

He was plainly going to fast for the car, road and for the amount of people in the car.

I'm not saying all 20yr olds are bad drivers, I'm some should be shot!

Older people, well, dont even get me started My grampy is 81 years old and he is never looking at what he's doing! He does scare me and he never does over 50mph!! Now that to be is dangerous!
Old 29 Jun 2005, 08:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

That is true, people who overload their car beyond their capacity are putting both their and other road users lives on the line. I am no boy racer! If you know both your own and your cars' limits and have an awareness of others you can enjoy the thrills and excitement of performance car motoring.

On the other end of the scale my gran got done for speeding the other week and she's approaching 80 this year!!!!
Old 29 Jun 2005, 08:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Like I said, I wasnt having a go. My grampy scares me so much when he drives and I'm sat next to him!

I guess everyone has different views on what safe is. Some play it safe, others dont and that's what causes accidents.

I aint a boy racer, I cruise No need to race.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 09:25 PM   #30 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

that reply was aimed at the person who i named in the reply whos name i cant remember, the bloke from finland. the older you get you always assume people younger than you dont know whats going on but youd be surprised, half of me thinks the age of been able to get a licence should be raised to 18 but then i think back and remember at 17 i was perfectly aware of the dangers and was a very sensible driver. i think the main reason of why i was so angry at the finland person was when i am on the road im such a considerate driver, i always go out of my way to help other drivers if its letting someone out of a busy junction or alerting people to dangers behind through flashing lights, little things like that make roads safer places but to say all 20yr olds shouldnt drive imprezas is insulting, age doesnt matter until you open your mouth