Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > Newbies - Say Hello Here

Subaru Impreza Forum

Serious Airflow Problems Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2010, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Serious Airflow Problems Help!

Hi Peeps, got a 1993 Wrx Sti, having serious airflow problems after fitting a blitz induction kit and bailey dump valve.

Going to double check the maf sensor tomorrow, by turning off the engine and disconnecting the plug, and also spraying brake and clutch cleaner on the sensor to clean it.

I have already replaced the sensor with another one out of a 1994 wrx it and has made no difference, worse if anything.

Going to perform an ecu reset by disconnecting the battery and holding the brake pedal etc. to see if that helps.

I have ordered a proper fitting kit for the dump valve, as it had no bung and the hose looks worn.

I am pretty sure there are no air leaks though it is possible.

Is there anything that I may have missed other than possibly the idle control valve, lambda sensor, coil pack and water sensor which I will check accordingly?

Would greatly appreciate your help.

p.s I also have a 1994 Wrx import for spares that my brother wrote off (bodywork is f'd) if anyone needs any parts, engine, interior etc let me know.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2010, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Serious Airflow Problems Help!

If you put the airbox back on and standard DV does it sort the problem out ?
Old 28 Mar 2010, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

as above and could try to fit one back at a time with original parts and see which part giving the problems
Old 28 Mar 2010, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

welcome to the site
Old 31 Mar 2010, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

As above or fit an aftermarket recirc valve. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. When an atmospheric Valve vents, air is escaping from a closed system. The air has already passed through the MAF sensor and has been measured, and the computer doesn't know that the air never made it to the engine. This will cause a rich mixture as the computer will still deliver the correct amount of fuel dosage based on the amount of vented air. Some people experience running problems where as others don't. There seems to be a lot of debate about fitting atmospheric valves or just sticking with the recirc valve. I stuck with the recirc valve and a nice hks panel filter on the standard air box and have never had any probs.

ps. I don't want to start another dump valve debate guys
Old 31 Mar 2010, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hey guys, thanks for all your feedback.

Yesterday I went out and pulled off my maf sensor, cleaned it all up with fuel intake and carb cleaner (doesnt harm oxygen sensors) and put it back on my car today.

The results were amazing, the car feels a million times better. This process should be done occasionally on a lot of scoobys as soot builds up and creates incorrect readings sent to the ecu.

The car is still not perfect though, but I believe this is because I still have my moosing valve (big black airbox with two hoses coming off it) connected, so I have ordered some parts to customise, silicon reducers and an alloy coupler, so there are no restrictions on the intake.

I was wondering what to do with the larger hose fitted to this, should I moke a hole in my silicone reducer hose and seal it? or could I get away with fitting a breather filter any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your comments so far.
Offline   Reply With Quote