Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > Newbies - Say Hello Here

Subaru Impreza Forum

what car?? advise please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2009, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

what car?? advise please

Hi there folks,

Been a year or so but I am getting back into the hot seat. Had a few performance cars but nothing like a sti etc. Looking at a 1995 sti type ra.

Been looking at this site and links for 3 hrs now and just read about the DCCD on the type ra. now just wondering if I should go to maybe a sti3 my97 or does this also have the DCCD?? Anyone with other sugestions would be appreciated!

Dont want to get a lower bhp model, and would like something that might hold its value as I want to keep it long term and hate the thought that there is something better out there for me to get. This is a one chance oppertunity. Not going to spend money on a performance car after this.

Any one with a DCCD can you let me know what you think of it. Sounds like it could cause major damage to diffs??? Are the cars without the DCCD better handling/traction??

Many thanks Darren
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2009, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: what car?? advise please

Hi Darren I have a sti ra v6 I have the DCCD id suggest ya to get one with the DCCD cause you can shift the power to the front normally I leave the diffs open but when on a wet road and want to give it a bit of hard power like adjusting the DCCD to first or second setting the more far forward to lock the diffs the more power your putting to the front when the diff set to open diff, power is 35/65 and thats 65% power to the back so it can kick out a bit so when you do want to drive it on a bit Id adjust the setting up 1 or 2 to send more power to front and then the back does not kick out at all, I use it now and again but always keep the DCCD to diff open when taking off stopped and you can adjust the DCCD when moving and then put the DCCD back to diff open when stopping again cause some people dont do this and use the DCCD in the settings when stopped or taking off and this is when problems start the DCCD only should be used when car moving have a look at link here wrx sti dccd Darrenwrx sti ra dccd ??????

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 01 Feb 2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02 Feb 2009, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks bud.

good to hear someone confirm the DCCD and damage that can be caused if used incorrectly. Anyone with out/ maybe didn't have DCCD on a previous car and then got one with to Advise on the handling difference first hand?

Also If I go to look at a car, should I hear any noise off the diff/DCCD?? I really need to find someone local that can take me out for a run in a good car so I know what to look out for/ I know what a good car should sound like!
Old 02 Feb 2009, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

I came from all FWD cars and even 2 Integra Type R's and they say they the best front wheel drive handling car but buying the scoob with the DCCD just puts the iceing on the cake realy the shear AWD grip and then setting the DCCD aswel is just great, look out for the rear diff knocking the propshaft do clunk a tiny bit on say a slow turn and if you back off the power and back on it you hear a tiny clunk but thats it realLy should be noise free and stay away from a car that the DCCD on the dash when the setting light is flashing that means its faulty and needs repair hope it helps