Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > Newbies - Say Hello Here

Subaru Impreza Forum

Help required

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Dec 2012, 02:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Help required

I have a 02 stock WRX and have recently noticed a radiator leak, I repaired this to only have got another leak and now another. I have come to realise that the cooling system is over pressurising. I took the car into Natrad who did a sniff test which showed exhaust fumes in the coolant. They can supply me with a new radiator but its pointless to fit until the underlying problem that is causing the over pressurising is fixed. They believe it has a blown head gasket or worse a warped or cracked head. I took the car straight to Subaru with the info from Natrad to only be told it will cost a min. of $4000. They basically expect me to hand my car over until they fix it with no guarantee of how much it will cost.

So basically i am looking for help if anyone has come across this, and what they suggest i should do. Obviously i can't afford it.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2012, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Help required

headgasket is a big big job onb impreza's, need to get the crank bearings changed as well or you risk the crank failing.

They shoud be able to tell you a price for just the gasket work if heads are ok and a price for a new set of heads (i would suspect its just a new gasket, bearings and rebuild needed).

At that age of car then the choice is sell as a rolling shell and buy a new one (well new to you) or get it rebuilt. Price diffference prob wont be alot, but if you get it built properly then you shoudl be good for a number of years to come.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 02:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

In most cases its just the head gaskets. get a compression test don it might be just one side of the head commonly its the driver side which goes most times.

The heads are really small so wont crack that easy unless you put cold water in a cooking engine turned off. even if they are warped a little just get them skimmed any good machinist will charge you 20 each head. bang some steel head gaskets and job don.

If you don't get any joy and do need any heads i got plenty in stock of running engines but you should be OK.

Get a price from a good garage and see what they will charge you if you and take it from there.

But i would deffo recommend a compression test its cheap and you will know what side is bad.

FROM WORKS THE REAL DEAL.
Old 15 Dec 2012, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

go to sealsteel .com check it out .i work for a taxi firm we had gasket go we had this stuff free we tryed it and it works if u mix it right .and its money back if it dont work