Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Meetings and Events / International Happenings > National Meetings and Track Days

Subaru Impreza Forum

A BIG NATIONAL MEET ! Why don't we ALL do this ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2004, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

A BIG NATIONAL MEET ! Why don't we ALL do this ?

Have you seen September's BANZAI mag -Club scene ?

Well ,TOYOTA MR2 owners held a National meet at Bruntingthorpe airfield in 2000.They had 1033 YES :shock: 1033 MR2's ,look in the mag & see for youself ! They are holding this again tomorrow Sun 22 !

Well its my ambition to do this too for"SCOOBIES", as some of you well know,it would need the help and assistance from some of you & i know there are people out there willing to do this.
This venue would be ideal,does anyone have any contact with Bruntingthorpe or know of a similar venue(central for all)??
It would take a bit of planning,we could get Sponsors/Dealers etc to take part/support it,have display stands and also try and do something for a charity too,and anything else you may think of.Best keep it as simple as poss though to avoid any headaches or heartaches eh!

Post your thoughts.
Gareth, hope this ok with you guys for posting ?

Cheers Duracell 8)
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2004, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Send a message via MSN to stevehulluk
that would be excellent event
Old 21 Aug 2004, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to cat17
meet

excellent idea - would be willing to help :wink:
Old 21 Aug 2004, 09:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Great idea, lets do it if we can... How to proceed?
Old 24 Aug 2004, 12:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quick post as its way past my bed time !

Ok Guys..i'll see what i can arrange re:a VENUE for this,then will post again when i have some info + call on you guys to help me get the "ball"rolling !

Ta ! Duracell 8)
Old 24 Aug 2004, 07:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

A great idea as usual mate If I can help just say the word
Old 24 Aug 2004, 08:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Hi Everyone

I contacted the"MR2 Owners Club" last night with regards to some info/advice relating to their Big Gala Meet that they recently held and with a similar view to us holding the same.This was their reply,
Quote:
Hi Colin

Organising such an event takes about 18 months and requires in the region of 15,000 if you want 2 x sprints, circuit, and sufficient space for other events, shows, traders and attractions - and car parking space.

There are also a lot of Health and Safety issues to consider - medical support - fire - marshals and staff to run events - the number of people you need is incredible and you also have to devise systems and briefings.

Advertising is also expensive.

Its hard work, time consuming and even then some people won't be happy!

Cheers

Ken
Although they held Sprints and track events which obviously involves all the Safety issues and makes up for the high costs,but i guess you need to keep that many people entertained with something as opposed to just a static display.
I think like Ken said it would be alot of planning and headaches involved !

Whilst i still continue to have the wish and desire to hold a Big meet perhaps we should look at another way???

Thanks for the interest & offer of help so far.
Any more ideas feel free to post.
Thanks also to the MR2 Owners club for their advice & very quick response.

Regards Duracell 8)
Old 24 Aug 2004, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

15'000 :shock:

can we find out if that money is returned from ticket sales etc?

AND im guessing here but are there alot more MR2's on the road than there are scoobs? I duuno?

Thanks for the info Duracell
Old 24 Aug 2004, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
I used to belong to the Goldwing owners club ( yes them huge touring bikes)
And was involved for a couple of years in the organising of the big national rallies, that was a huge undertaking :shock:
We would get 1200-1400 bikes from all over europe and put on a long weekend rally(norm August bank hol), this would mean finding somewhere big enough for a start which would normally be a county showground. That provide somewhere under cover for the evenings shinanigans, then we had to hire in porta loos (very expensive) shower blocks for around the campsite etc etc.

The long and short of it is that yes I have experience of this kind of thing, and altough a days rally is being talked about (and a great idea it is too) a hell of a lot of work will go into it before hand.
Some places may require deposits :shock:
As we are not a club, we wont have insurance, whether this can be arranged through the "site" owners I am not sure, but could be a big stumbling block to start with.

An organising commitee would really need to be formed and a bank account opened with 2 signatories nominated.

Income would be made from traders paying for a specified size pitch sold in multples thereof, and advertising, and with something like this an entrance fee too.

As a thought somewhere like santa pod (middle of the country) could be a possibility?
They would have the relevent insurance and take all the money! and possibly organise it?

Just a few thought on what I have already agreed with as a great idea.

buzz

Just a few thoughts