Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

First stage of Modifying Engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2010, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

First stage of Modifying Engine

Hi guys. Ive just bought a blob eye, 2001 wrx. Its currently standard engine wise apart from a stainless cat back system and a silicone upgraded boost pipe and a dump valve. I am going to have it remapped in the near future but want to do a few things first before the mapping.

Im a mechanic so am technically ok with doing work myself but as not really modified my previous impreza's engines just want pointers from people who know what things need doing first. i want around over 300bhp eventually and may even go the whole hog with internals and go for 500bhp just depends on funds over the next 12 months so starters i want to do the small things and get a remap untill i decide what power im going for as that will determine what turbo i go for etc

1.I would assume first of all uprated headers full decat exhaust sytem.
2. Uprated fuel pump
3. Front mount cooler (decent one with proven gains)
4. Uprated oil pump ive also been told is a good idea

My list is not exhaustive and any sugestions are welcome any upgrade i do will be based upon making the car cope with 500bhp so i wont upgrade somthing that will need upgrading again if that makes sense.

Is there any sti parts such as inlet or anything that will help as i know mine is just the standard wrx engine
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2010, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: First stage of Modifying Engine

oil pump isn;t required (been runnign 340 on my classic for 3 years no no issues with oil pump), fuel pump is a good idea, but your limitation is gonna be the turbo no matter what you do.
put a vf35 from a sti on it and you see 330ish with injectors done as well.

once you change the turbo then its worth looking at front mounts etc, but for hte first basic map, decat pnale filter and a fuel pump will be fine
Old 16 Jun 2010, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to dynamix

This may be of use:

Scoobycity • View topic - Typical Upgrade Path - 2.0 WRX
Moderator Authorised Advertiser
Old 17 Jun 2010, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamix View Post
i don't agree with the bits about the front or top mount intercooler in that right up dude.

once you start changing turbo's its well worth doing, even uprated top mounts don't cope as well as front mounts over 300bhp.

yes you can run them, but it will reduce the results.
Old 17 Jun 2010, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Otherwise a very good read !!
Old 17 Jun 2010, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
i don't agree with the bits about the front or top mount intercooler in that right up dude.

once you start changing turbo's its well worth doing, even uprated top mounts don't cope as well as front mounts over 300bhp.

yes you can run them, but it will reduce the results.
Id tend to agree but then again i dont know everything but i would definetly think front mount if i was uprating turbo etc
Old 19 Jun 2010, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to dynamix

The point about the fmic is that it is only really 'needed' if you are going over 350. Sure it will net a tad more power on a wrx below that (not as much on a newage as on your classic tidgy) but the difference in response is not worth it IMO. And with the weakness in the wrx gearbox it is not worth going above 350bhp .. if you want to do that then sell it and get an STi - it will be cheaper in the long run.
Moderator Authorised Advertiser
Old 20 Jun 2010, 12:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

i know what ur saying on buying an sti instead but i cant afford one lol, but over time il get mine higher spec than sti's are. il be upgrading to a 6 speed box anyway eventually

Ive ordered a 255 uprated fuel pump.
getting a full 3 inch decat exhaust system
then having it remapped. hope to be over 275bhp at this point

then next stage is pink injectors and uprated turbo and a front mount intercooler and uprated clutch and lightened flywheel, and these mapped in.
Aiming for 325bhp at this point

I should be over the 300bhp mark then, il source 6 speed conversion box and diff etc,

Last edited by dukey1234; 20 Jun 2010 at 12:35 AM. Reason: missed sumthing
Old 22 Jun 2010, 11:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamix View Post
The point about the fmic is that it is only really 'needed' if you are going over 350. Sure it will net a tad more power on a wrx below that (not as much on a newage as on your classic tidgy) but the difference in response is not worth it IMO. And with the weakness in the wrx gearbox it is not worth going above 350bhp .. if you want to do that then sell it and get an STi - it will be cheaper in the long run.

in responce do you mean lag?

if so seems to be a setup issue rather than a inherant problem with front mounts compared to top mounts, any lag caused by it is so small that you wont know and is only measureable with sensors. Seems to be a hotly heat debate on scoobynet, but im yet to see any technical arguments about it that ring true. I know andy forrest did a calculation on it, but the calc was flawed at best, possibly even missleading. I know other mappers, Pat herborn, Bow Rawl etc etc have doen the calc and come up with nanoseconds of difference.
Old 07 Jan 2012, 09:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi dukey1234, this looks a relevant thread to match my engine mod aspirations. Would be keen to hear what you ended up doing?
Carl