Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

new to the impreza world

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2010, 06:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

new to the impreza world

hi all as my title says i am new to the impreza world, i have got a 1998 impreza turbo with a 3 inch sports exhaust with a sports cat, my previous car was a fiat coupe 20v turbo, i would like to know if anyone can help me, i want to put a sti ecu on my impreza but dont know which one will work or even if the sti ecu is the best one for the impreza, any help would be appreciated

ive also heared something about putting another chip in the ecu and cutting a resistor so that it uses the second chip a 27c1028, ive got the programmer to program the chip but not got any images, i want around 280bhp to 300bhp

Last edited by johnboywood; 09 Jun 2010 at 06:38 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2010, 06:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: new to the impreza world

Firstly Welcome and enjoy

secondly,as yours is a 98 you may not need the STi ECU,there's a good possibility of getting it mapped..

if your after an aftermarket ECU like Gems,Simtek, etc,you'll be looking iro 1,000 by the time you've added the toys you want,like anti lagg,switchable maps,launch control...
Old 09 Jun 2010, 07:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

As Ed says, your ECU may be mappable. An Ecutek map is around 500 I think and a lot cheaper than a replacement ECU, though obviously a more expensive aftermarket ECU will have more functionality. Really depends what you want from the map.

As for the STi ECU, not 100% sure but personally wouldn't as the difference between a standard JDM STi and a standard UK turbo is night and day. STi has better components to deal with the power, a different turbo (VF28 on a '98) and it won't be mapped for your engine so could cause problems, possibly expensive ones, down the line.
Old 09 Jun 2010, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

its got a import wrx ecu in it and a ihi turbo on it, ive seen cheap sti ecu,s on ebay but dont wanna buy one if it dont work???
Old 09 Jun 2010, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

so your car is an import WRX??

IHI turbos are standard Subaru units..

as for chipping ECU's it not worth it and as for the resistor,your asking for running issues...

also if you want the power you've mentiond above,you'll need uprated fuel pump,bigger and better TMIC or FMIC,bigger injectors,think that just about covers it..
Old 09 Jun 2010, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

If you do have '98 WRX, they come with 276 Bhp standard the same as the STi though a little down on torque. STi ECU won't do much except lead to possible problems imo.

Ed, didn't UK classics all have TD04/05 turbo's? Probably showing my ignorance of UK cars here.
Old 09 Jun 2010, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

they did indeed Wayne,TD04 through out the UK turbo range
Old 09 Jun 2010, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Cheers Ed.

That means that if it is a UK car it isn't an IHI turbo. TD's were made by Mitsubishi.
Old 09 Jun 2010, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i must of explained it wrong my car is a uk normal impreza with 227 bhp i think or somet like that but it has got a wrx import engine in so i want to know which ecu i can plug into my loom to make it into a wrx, i have fitted a walbro 255 fuel pump sti intercooler, i want sure if the ecu wiring was the same and also if the immobiliser is in the ecu or its seperate??? and as for the resistor i was on about that is in the ecu, some ecus have a space for a 27c1028 chip inorder to make the ecu read from that chip (once fitted) you have to cut a resistor within the ecu, but id much rather just get the right ecu for the engine
Old 09 Jun 2010, 10:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

new to the impreza world

Hello I am new to the impreza forum I have bought a v5 sti 99 import open deck red top quick q is this engine strong, worth tuning,and what different with this engine than others gd or bad?
Old 09 Jun 2010, 11:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybear69 View Post
Hello I am new to the impreza forum I have bought a v5 sti 99 import open deck red top quick q is this engine strong, worth tuning,and what different with this engine than others gd or bad?
Replied in your other thread. Decent engine though and a good base for tuning. Better and more powerful than earlier STi engines (excepting the closed deck blocks of the earliest STi's) and a lot better than the base WRX engine.