Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

tuning 1998 uk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 May 2010, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

tuning 1998 uk

hi my first post i have just had my e36 m3 written off so got a 1998 uk impreza to feed my need for speed untill im in a position to get another m3.plus ive always wanted a turbo car and this come real cheap.as far as i know the engine its self is standard. it has recon vf34 turbo hks headers exhaust system and up pipe cone air filter front mount inter-cooler lightened and balanced flywheel its been rolling roaded @ 258 bhp and 250lb torque with boost set at 0.9 bar.how can i get some more power in a cost effective way? it has a bleed valve can i run more boost safely(ish)? can i fit yellow injectors and better fuel pump and a fuel cut defender and up the boost for more power?ive been told this car cant be chipped and i cant warrent the cost of another ecu just hoping that 300bhp without a ecu upgrade is possible thanks any help would be appreciated
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2010, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: tuning 1998 uk

needs mapping, simple as, on the vf34 you should be at around 340ish bhp. running a differnt turbo without mapping is a very bad idea.

afraid your gonna have to bite the bullet and get the ecu sorted, cheapest option is prob simtek.

as far as injectors go then worth doing them as well. but bear in mind once you do that the m3 will seem very very slow
Old 28 May 2010, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: tuning 1998 uk

ill look in to it ive just had a look at the ecu and its got a pink sticker with sti sp wrote on it i take it its a sti ecu? will this help me get more power?
Offline   Reply With Quote